News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Taylor

Latrobe Country Club
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:51:51 PM »
Got a chance to play this course several times last week. Not much history on this course other than the marketing info on the club's website.
I must admit that it was a fun and challenging course. False fronts and back to front sloping greens make yardage control a must (even if you are hitting wedge or chipping from 30 yards).
It was also interesting to guess which holes were part of the original 9. Any help or speculation on this question is appreciated.

Coral_Ridge

Re:Latrobe Country Club
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 12:06:29 AM »
Wondered about the golf course that Arnie grew up on and still spends time on (from what I hear).  Obviously the course is special to Arnie in many ways.  What is the opinion of this golf course by Golf Club Atlas readers?  After a search of the forum for previous discussion, I found this thread, so I will just use it and hopefully we can discuss this "famous" golf course.  

Latrobe Country Club

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 04:37:16 AM »
I kinda liked it alot. Story from one of Arnold's best buddies is the "Arnie Rule on first tee" which slopes dramatically from left to right. Hit until you get one in the fairway, Arnold's record is 7 tee balls.

Arnold plays in a cart by himself with 2 bags with a zillion clubs.

I was introduced to him on the course, he has the biggest hands I've ever seen on a golfer, very friendly, invited us back to his office for a tour afterwards.

2 remarkable things about his office, he has an airplane room with models of every plane he has owned, I think there were about 30 and his golf club workshop, floor to ceiling wooden bins of clubs, must have been a cople of 1000 at least.

One the first tee is an old iron tractor which his father used as greens keeper. Quite an antique.

Some nice quirky holes, overtreed and a bit cramped, but I couldn't help but love the place.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ron Kern

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 08:00:01 AM »
And right outside the back door of his office is a little astroturf mat on a porch where Mr. Palmer hits practice balls into a net...

A trip into the barn where some of Mr. Palmer's historical memorabilia is stored is quite a treat.  He kept everything.  It's quite a sight and a very interesting look through arguably golf's greatest legend.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:04:02 AM by Ron Kern »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back