News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

Carnegie Abbey
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »
 Looking for some thoughts on Carnegie Abbey--
 anything is appreciated.

Golf Course- routing, bunkers, greens, etc.

The Golf Shop (Lookout)-- Do you like the location, the deal with checking in and then driving down to the tee?

Clubhouse location--

Overall feel of the club.

thanks.

-Mike
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:24:46 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

George Pazin

Re:Carnegie Abbey
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:31:59 PM »
From a quick search:

Aerial of the day

Carnegie Abbey

I could've sworn Matt started a long thread on this course a long time ago, but I couldn't find it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »
paging Dr. Vostinak.....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 10:05:04 PM »
Looking for some thoughts on Carnegie Abbey--
 anything is appreciated.

Golf Course- routing, bunkers, greens, etc.

The Golf Shop (Lookout)-- Do you like the location, the deal with checking in and then driving down to the tee?

Clubhouse location--

Overall feel of the club.

thanks.

-Mike

I was there last summer for a week as a guest. There is a bunch of stuff if you search in the archives. Here is one on the 18th hole:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=23826;start=msg437740#msg437740

I am actually headed to Newport tomorrow for a no golf weekend.

The logistics of checking in are awkward, but as most are there for vacation, there is not much of a rush. The routing has a few awkward spots and longer walks closer to the water 1, 17 and 18, but there is lots of outstanding stuff there too.

The greens are outstanding which also leads to some longer rounds as many are vacation golfers. It is a great example of gathering bunkers similar to The Vineyard Club and again they are somewhere in the archives.

If you want a perfect 36 hole day, 18 at Newport CC and 18 at Carnegie would be high on my list.

There was talk last summer that Brian O'Neil the owner was trying to buy Newport National, but I don't think it has happened.

The staff is a reflection of Brian who is a nice guy.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 10:14:53 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 12:57:57 PM »
Mike:

CA is well worth seeing / playing if time permits.

The course is designed by Donald Steele and clearly does offer its moments with a tie to a more classical style of architecture -- wider fairways, periodic bunkers that are neatly placed and rolling greens that demand appropriate placement on the approaches.

The course is hilly in spots -- save for the final few holes set just off Narragansett Bay. Total length is roughly around 6,700 yards from the tips if memory serves and I really enjoyed the final hole -- roughly 285 yards and hugging the shoreline with a "come dare" type tee shot.

As Mike said -- 36 holes at both Carnegie and Newport would make for a complete golf day indeed.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 01:13:12 PM »
The bunker faces were revetted with layers of sod.  Not as pronounced as seen at Royal Dornoch, where I think the sod is somehow treated to give a burned or charred appearance.

Very effective, however.

redanman

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:53:55 AM »
Paul - Answering via I.M., not a post

Can these guys appreciate something not a Coore and Crenshaw, not in the sticks requiring approach by wagon train and designed by the dreaded Donald Steel? (No "e")

Count the bunkers on this place, they don't have nearly enough for proper framing. They mostly look like squalid little discs that wouldn't scare a soul like those fierce raggedy-edged things you all drool so hard over.  There are less than forty.  Just round little things. You can barely see them on the aerial of the day.

It's not in Nebraska, North Dakota or Katmandu, it's actually near civilisation, they have a wall of malts for the members to scale (stupid idea), the clubhouse is understated (Needs more polished cherry wood, that's it), the accommodations are upstairs, no prairie views to be found, I've never seen any sucking up there ......  What's to recommend?

There are about 2 few longish walks,  the first hole has an awkward cart-before the horse arrangement dictated by a wetland, Hell, the last hole isn't even a proper par 4, it's less than 300 yards.

The par 3's and 5's are fantastic with some of the best bunkering placement around (remember that they are just these silly little round things, though).

I don't recommend it to a soul of the unwashed. So I won't.

r

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:20:33 PM »
Didn't they play a shells wonderful world of golf here.  If so I thought it looked interesting.  I am not a huge fan of sod faced bunkers, but the course looked to have some interesting shots.

Brendan

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:03:20 AM »
Dr. V

You should post your IM's more often.  That was good!

RFG

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 06:16:17 AM »

On further thought, I have not seen Sebonack, but I have heard this as a criticism of Sebonack where some of the best property was used for a parking lot. At Carnegie Abbey the golfers parking lot, pro shop and range (marked by X) are located near the Portsmouth Abbey School entrance, far away from the water at the top of the property. 1, 18 and the clubhouse (marked by Y) are located near the bay and people shuttle between the two. The only parking lot for the clubhouse is for overnight guest so it is small. The picture below is probably during construction.

Friars Head, at least prior to completion of the clubhouse, has a similar shuttle system, again to max out the golf property. For those that have been there, is this a valid criticism of Sebonack?

redanman

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 09:25:29 AM »

The hand-drawn "3, 4, X" is actually 6-8 with "4" being 6 above.

Two is a short walk back from 1 green, then a walk south to
3, 4, 5 with 3 being the middle hole, then a walk north to 6,7,8, then 9
(with the diagonal line of bunkers heads straight east),
uphill. That maroon-colored patch of woods is actually an
historic battlefield, I was told.

Routing holes in RED, walks in BLUE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back