News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

What's the purpose of the MacKenzie bunker on 10 at ANGC?
« on: April 08, 2007, 04:41:49 PM »
Apparently the green was originally just to the right of this bunker, but what is the purpose of this bunker today?  Maybe it is a hazard to a short hitting 20 handicapper but I don't know that I remember seeing a ball in this bunker during my 30 years of watching the Masters.

Wasn't MacKenzie averse to hazards that are only in play for weak golfers?  

Jon Wiggett

Re:What's the purpose of the MacKenzie bunker on 10 at ANGC?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 04:56:11 PM »
Wayne,

its been left there to combat the 380+ drives that the average tour player will be hitting in 5 years time.  ;)

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »
Maybe they will restore the original course and they will have at least one feature to start with?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 07:01:02 PM »
I always thought they should remove it, until a couple of weeks ago I topped my second shot and wound up in the bunker, and then I said to myself, "self, you always thought this was a stupid place for a bunker, and now you're in it", and I laughed out loud. :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 07:14:18 PM »
As the last piece of MacKenzie design left in plasce at ANGC, it's a reminder of who the designer was and what the course was originally like. Besides, it looks great and fills up a vast open space.

Ken Fry

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »
So would it be fair to say, considering the bunker on #10 and the basic routing of the course are the only MacKenzie touches left, that removing the bunker would remove MacKenzie's name as a credited architect of Augusta?

Ken

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 08:09:11 PM »
Jon W. makes a great point, above... a few years from now we should expect the old Mackenzie bunker to effect thinking back on the tee.
jeffmingay.com

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 08:18:12 PM »
sex appeal?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

JNC Lyon

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 08:31:35 PM »
Nostalgia
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back