News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re:Good/great courses with little or no practice area(s)?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 10:37:54 AM »
Ross' Cherokee CC in Knoxville used the first hole as a range late in the day when I was in school there.  (John Stiles et al: any word on recent work there?).  His Memphis CC has not range, but there's a teeing area to hit balls directly across the first fairway.

Ross' original drawing of Seminole on file at the Tufts Archieves shows both a "practice field" and a separate "lesson field" or something to that effect.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Olsen

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »
Highland Links

Ed_Baker

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 10:55:43 AM »
Wannamoisett has no range, just a chipping area, but a fabulous putting green, it usually runs at about the same speed that the golf course does.. FAST.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 01:37:15 PM »
When I arrived as Pinehurst in March, I thought they had the flattest, most manicured-to-perfection practice putting green I'd ever seen. And then these idiots dressed in white with funny clubs showed up and I realized it was for croquet.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »
I will say that Pinehurst might have the coolest putting green in the US.  Almost the size of a football field, in full view of what's going on.  Putting contests from end to end are a blast.  I once lipped out from about 250 feet...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »
Cascades Lower has no range, just a putting green.  If you want to warm up on a range you have to do it before you leave the hotel a mile or so away.

My understanding, though, is they have purchased adjoining property to build a range.  I think the reason was the USGA told them they had to, if they wanted to get top amateur tournaments in the future.

No matter, I'm sure they'll just jack up resort prices to pay for it. "For the good of the game"...

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »
I think that Moraine CC is a great course and it has a very limited range. I can't completely say it accurately, but I believe no woods and no long irons are allowed. It is definitely better than nothing for the guest, but has to be frustrating for the members.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »
Baltimore Country Club's range and practice area is appropriate for a local muni. There never seems to be any grass, but when you have a zillion members, grass goes quickly.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back