News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Heading to Minnesota in July and...
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »
I was going to visit a client in Marquette, MI, but he will be out of town. So my question is, with my new found 2 days, where should I go play before I have to be in Minneapolis July 26? I am playing the three biggies when I get there, but now have time to play somewhere else. Is Sutton Bay within a days drive? Or is there something more intriguing?
Mr Hurricane

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Heading to Minnesota in July and...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:52:01 AM »
Jim,

I guess I don't know what the 3 biggies are?  A value meal at Wendy's perhaps? ;)

I don't think Sutton Bay is only a day's drive, but could be wrong, depending on how liberal you (and the State Police) are about speed limits.

Its only a little out of your way to play my Giant's Ridge and Wilderness courses in Biwabik and Tower, MN respectively.  To not be such a homer, you should also consider Big Fish in Hayward, and Northland in Duluth (Ross, restored by Schriener).  

There is a course in Cloquet, MN said to have a front nine designed by Ross as well, but Brad Klein says no.  Back nine is a completely different Joel Goldstrand design.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 09:53:05 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:57:19 AM »
I'd set up a full physical at Mayo.  It is the second greatest place to get naked in the world.  Seriously, I have had many friends save or prolong their lives by doing this very thing when they had no indication of being sick.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
Thanks John, my folks did the same thing a few years ago.

Jeff - I have Hazeltine, Interlachen, and Minakada scheduled and if I can get two of those on one day, I was going to check out Giant's Ridge too. If I can't get two on one day then I will go see your courses with my extra time as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Since I have never been to Minnesota, I was hoping Sutton Bay would be a reasonable distance away, but no worries. Giants Ridge has been on my to do list as well.
Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:14:27 AM »
Thanks John, my folks did the same thing a few years ago.

Damn, I go check on a job and some imposter makes a thoughtful post.  I've gotta get a more secure password.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:15:52 AM »
You're right JB, I was wondering what you put in your coffee this morning ;).
Mr Hurricane

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:30:29 AM »
Jim:

Sutton Bay is absolutely a major hike (I've never played, but have relatives nearby -- nearby being quite relative in those parts of SDakota).

If you take John's advice and do the Mayo thing, I believe Rochester CC is a relatively intact Tillie, and said to be good.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »
Jim,

Scratch Sutton Bay. You can't do it in a day, or even do justice to it in two. But definitely keep it on your radar for the next time you're in the area with three days to work with. (It's a six or seven hour drive from the Twin Cities.)

You can get to Giants Ridge and/or The Wilderness in about four hours, and I highly recommend both, if you can stay overnight.

I'm GCA's biggest Northland CC advocate, having grown up playing that course. You've never played anything like it, and never seen better views of a Great Lake. The course has been lengthened some and the bunkering has been changed (don't know that I'd say restored, or improved), but the routing is exactly the same as Ross's original design, and so are the greens -- some of the greatest old-school greens you'll ever play.

I haven't played Rochester CC, but hear nothing but good things about it. Hoping to get there myself this year.

Other Twin Cities gems you might try, if you have access, are Somerset (Raynor) in St. Paul, or the White Bear Yacht Club (Ross.) Both highly recommended.

And you're also welcome to swing by Stillwater, about 20 minutes east of St. Paul, and play a round with me at Stillwater Country Club (one nine designed by Tom Vardon, Harry's brother). My wife and I just joined SCC after being on the waiting list for 14 years.
 :)

Let me know if you're interested
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »
Giants RIdge is wonderful, haven't played wilderness, but Deacon Lodge was a real surprise
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »
Cary:

A surprise in a good way? I've heard mixed reviews of Deacon's Lodge; would be interested in your thoughts.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 03:16:43 PM »
Phil -- From my one-round experience, Deacon's Lodge is too target-y, with lots of wetlands dictating where the holes had to be built and where you have to hit it.

Not a bad course, but not to my tastes. Some people love it.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 05:05:37 PM »
Thanks Rick that is a nice offer. When I finalize my trip I will let you know.

Another question, how is TPC Twin Cities?
Mr Hurricane

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »
I like TPC Twin Cities better than Deacon's Lodge in Brainerd, to compare two Palmer courses. It's very playable, with a surprising amount of space and well-placed hazards for a course surrounded by homes.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 05:52:11 PM »
Ah homes...that does not excite me. Are they on top of the golf course? Do you feel wedged in?
Mr Hurricane

Tony Petersen

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 07:00:45 PM »
Jim -

Being a MN native (but not taking up the sport until well after undergrad), I would stick with the classics:

Interlachen, Hazeltine, Minikahda, Somerset CC, North Oaks (S. Thompson's last design), White Bear Yacht Club, Wood Hill, Town & Country... even Edina CC is a fun parkland layout. The Quarry, Wilderness & Legend in the N. E. corner are all fantastic, though I prefer the Quarry & Wilderness. Northland CC is a hidden gem, and F.U.N.!!! A couple of hours West of the cities is Dacotah Ridge, the best Rees Jones design that I have played to date... ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 07:20:54 PM »
Tony,

Yeah, even I agree on the classics!  I doubt you could have more fun playing golf than at White Bear Yacht or Somerset in SP, and North Oaks would be next on my list in MSP. While I enjoyed Hazeltine more than I thought I would, it would rank behind even Golden Valley (Tillie) for me as a play in MSP.

In many ways, I think I was able to craft the Quarry and Wilderness for similar fun quotients with different looks.  However, if Jim has access to any of those old private clubs, it would behoove him to use it.  He can go back to publics/resorts any time.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
Thanks Jeff, but my main issue is getting back to Minnesota ;D. If this is my one opportunity to play in the Twin Cities area, I think I want to play the Quarry at least once.
Mr Hurricane

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 10:18:01 AM »
Jim,

Well, I won't argue....... ;)

As far as getting back to MN, last year at least, Sun Country offered some great fares, which is a break from what NW and AA offered, making MN at least a bit better option for a weekend trip than it used to be.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:19:27 AM by Jeff_Brauer »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 10:19:24 AM »
Thanks Jeff, but my main issue is getting back to Minnesota ;D. If this is my one opportunity to play in the Twin Cities area, I think I want to play the Quarry at least once.

I could have sworn that The Quarry wasn't in the Twin Cities area.   I'm guessing a 3-hour drive?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 10:20:19 AM »
Scott,

3.5Hrs, but he is coming over from northern MI panhandle, so its as "on his route" as Biwabik, MN ever could be.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
3.5 hours is a piece of cake. I consider that "in the area".
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back