News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Re:Bash the Minimalist...Criticize Doak, C&C et al
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 08:25:37 AM »
Andy I was thinking it could be very high, however, I started to ask myself some hard questions and the answers were alarming.  I would have to include myself in the 95%

I have developed preferences and prejudices that noticeably impact, at least in the first instance, where I'll go play.

For example, about 7 years ago we spent a week on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama.  We saw a lot of Alabama and some different golf courses and I would never in the a million years repeat that trip, not because of the Alabama part but bc of the RTJ part.  

John Goodman

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 08:34:03 AM »
Jason -

Not even the raters think the RTJ courses are among the best courses in Alabama anymore (only one, Dothan, made the most recent GD best in state, and I can't imagine it will stay there).  Come on back down sometime; there are more and better golf options here now than the Trail.

John

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 08:52:11 AM »
There's a few on here that would ave you believe that the greens at St. Andrew's Beach are too small, boring and one dimensional.

I'm not one of them though  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 09:00:58 AM »
Jason -

Not even the raters think the RTJ courses are among the best courses in Alabama anymore (only one, Dothan, made the most recent GD best in state, and I can't imagine it will stay there).  Come on back down sometime; there are more and better golf options here now than the Trail.

John

I was surprised about Dothan's RTJ being so highly rated.  I think pretty highly of Grand National's two courses and also the Canyon-Sherling combination at Cambrian Ridge in Greenville.  Dothan's good too.  Not much to praise at Mobile, Prattville or Birmingham and I haven't played the ones up north.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 10:27:19 AM »
Andy I was thinking it could be very high, however, I started to ask myself some hard questions and the answers were alarming.  I would have to include myself in the 95%

I have developed preferences and prejudices that noticeably impact, at least in the first instance, where I'll go play.

For example, about 7 years ago we spent a week on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama.  We saw a lot of Alabama and some different golf courses and I would never in the a million years repeat that trip, not because of the Alabama part but bc of the RTJ part.  

Jason,
After thinking about it a little more, it probably should be 100% as we're all at least a little bit affected by this, it just depends on the extent.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 07:24:49 PM »

Jason,
After thinking about it a little more, it probably should be 100% as we're all at least a little bit affected by this, it just depends on the extent.

Andy,

you're absolutely right!  i think the critical part is acknowledging the issue and trying to put preconceptions aside when seeing new courses.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 07:27:47 PM »
Jason -

John

We played the Senator (Pratville I think) and I thought it was interestingly manufactured.  I thought Dothan was challenging and some fun holes, but nothing stands out.  We also played in Birmingham but nothing stands out either . . . by far the best golf of the trip was at Mountain Brook, also happened to be the best Southern wedding we've ever been too!!    

ed_getka

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »
[quote author=JKBlasberg

I think the critical part is acknowledging the issue and trying to put preconceptions aside when seeing new courses.

Exactly what we should all strive for.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »

Jason,

Andy,

you're absolutely right!  i think the critical part is acknowledging the issue and trying to put preconceptions aside when seeing new courses.

Very true. I redid a count that I had done before of my top 100. My first 28 courses had been designed by 21 different architects, and 59 different architects were represented in my top 100. Just goes to show (for me at least) that there are many guys out there that are doing (or have done in some cases) good work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back