News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Joines

Re:Trophy Club - Indiana (w/ pictures)
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 09:37:30 AM »
Andy,

I actually like #4 at Blackthorn because I feel it really tests the player on all his shots. I find the angled tee shot pretty challenging. It's important to find the middle or left side of the fairway to setup the next shot. The 2nd shot down the hill into the valley is pretty fun as well.

#7 also offers a variety of options. If you can play the draw off the tee, it will set you up for a good chance at getting home in two. A good layup to the right of the green still offers a better birdie opportunity than an approach that doesn't clear the bunkers fronting the tiered green. I've been in those bunkers before and that can be a scary chip with the collection area right behind the pin.

I agree that the back 9 is the better of the two. I really like 13-15. The only hole I don't care for on the back is #11.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 10:06:09 AM »
Doug,

Before knocking Ohio golf you need to play several courses in the Cleveland area and Eastern Ohio.

Your buddies from the Kentucky website you have mentioned have profiled several in eastern Ohio that they highly enjoyed.

Chris

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 10:14:13 AM »
Doug,

I have played Belterra GC as well as the Links at Grand Victoria and both have some very good golf holes.

The layout of Belterra seemed repetetive to me.  I did enjoy the course, but after the round I had trouble recalling many of the holes.  This is usually not a problem when I play a good to very good course.  The holes of note that I enjoyed were the 9 , 10, 13, and 14.  I have a bunch of photos from Belterra as well as Grand Victoria.

I enjoyed Grand Victoria more, I think because Grand Victoria was done around the time that Liddy worked on Harrison Hills and many of the holes have a Langford and Moreau feel to them.  Upon the completion of my round at GV, if I had time, I would have gone around again.

Chris

Andy Troeger

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 10:53:13 AM »
Andy,

I actually like #4 at Blackthorn because I feel it really tests the player on all his shots. I find the angled tee shot pretty challenging. It's important to find the middle or left side of the fairway to setup the next shot. The 2nd shot down the hill into the valley is pretty fun as well.

#7 also offers a variety of options. If you can play the draw off the tee, it will set you up for a good chance at getting home in two. A good layup to the right of the green still offers a better birdie opportunity than an approach that doesn't clear the bunkers fronting the tiered green. I've been in those bunkers before and that can be a scary chip with the collection area right behind the pin.

I agree that the back 9 is the better of the two. I really like 13-15. The only hole I don't care for on the back is #11.

Brian,
Interesting comments on #4. I don't like the tee shot at all because its a 3 or 5-wood out there short of the drop off with no point in challenging the hill and trouble. Then its a 4-iron layup which is a tough play then a wedge third. I've tried going for it, but there's no benefit unless your ridiculously long and can hit it all the way down the hill, which I cannot.

Seven is better now that they've continued the fairway instead of having the same situation where there fairway ends right in the landing area. No matter what its best to try to hit over the green in two and pitch back because of the green angle.

Both holes have some good qualities for me, but I don't think the tee shots were very well thought out.

I don't care for 10 or 11, especially 11. Same thing with forced layups essentially.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 03:26:23 PM »
Chris;

I intend to play several over there. Little Mountain and Boulder Creek in Cleveland area on the list. I also want to try The Blackmoor [which Ron liked from GKL] on our way to Oglebay Palmer.

I did play Black Diamond over in Amish country, and did like it a lot ...... my kind of course.

Thanks for the info on Belterra and Grand Victoria ..... we have discount coupons for both this year and will try them.

Doug

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2007, 08:25:45 PM »
Thanks for those photos

Trophy Club looks to be really nice and I course I'd like to play.

Well done Tim Liddy.  

Jay Flemma

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 08:31:26 PM »
I had a terrific time at the Trophy Club.  excellent greens, including a great swale green on the front.  The stretch of 10-13 stood out as well and 18 was a fun finish.  Yes, Tim, it was fascinating.

If anyone wants to read my interview with Tim, its below:

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=439

We're gonna get more into trophy club in particular as soon as I finish getting my Pete Dye interview typed up.

Brian Joines

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 07:15:51 PM »

Andy,

Brian,
Interesting comments on #4. I don't like the tee shot at all because its a 3 or 5-wood out there short of the drop off with no point in challenging the hill and trouble. Then its a 4-iron layup which is a tough play then a wedge third. I've tried going for it, but there's no benefit unless your ridiculously long and can hit it all the way down the hill, which I cannot.

Seven is better now that they've continued the fairway instead of having the same situation where there fairway ends right in the landing area. No matter what its best to try to hit over the green in two and pitch back because of the green angle.

Both holes have some good qualities for me, but I don't think the tee shots were very well thought out.

I don't care for 10 or 11, especially 11. Same thing with forced layups essentially.

I'm not long enough to get down the hill on #4 so for me, it's not really a forced lay-up. A perfect driver puts me right at the top of that hill. Then I think it's 230 or so in. Down that hill, it's usually iron for me. I guess it plays different for different players too.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:16:24 PM by Brian Joines »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back