News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Augusta National Property
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:10:36 AM »
A few months back I had lunch with someone who casually mentioned that his family used to own the property which is now the Augusta National Golf Club.

I say "casually mentioned" because in this gentleman seemed far more interested in his cocktail, a fine private label bourbon, than  something like his family owning the Augusta property.

But, this wasn't just anyone. He was a direct descendant of a former President (of the United States) and also a woman who was  , arguably, one of the most famous women in American history.

Now, I'll come clean and say that I don't know for sure whether his claim was true, but the lineage is definitely true.

So, does anyone know if a former President owned the Augusta property?
Tim Weiman

Tim_Cronin

Re:Augusta National Property
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:49 AM »
The Fruitlands nursery was once owned by the Berckman family (Berckman's Rd. runs along the fourth hole). Was Berckman connected to presidential timber?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:16:49 AM »
Tim,

This President well proceeds the folks who actually sold the property to the club.
Tim Weiman

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Tim, come clean and then it might be able to be put together. We know it was not Abe Lincoln.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:12:39 AM »
Was it Andrew Jackson?  I meant to say Jefferson Davis...I'm so bad with names.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:14:35 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:14:56 AM »
HE COULD MEAN SOME OF THE PROPERTY THAT HAS BEEN PURCHASED RECENTLY ACROSS THE ROAD FOR EXPANSION
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:17:01 AM »
By the description I am guessing James and Dolly Madison. I am probably wrong but that would be nothing new. I have never heard that before but it could be true.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:25:28 AM »
I thought Anna Nicole was from Texas, not Georgia . . .

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »
Sam,

You are pretty close. I'll give folks a bit more time.
Tim Weiman

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »
Tim,
   I have no idea, but it is nice to see you posting here again.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:22:12 PM »
Ed,

Thanks. It was a bit amazing to me to have someone casually mention "my family used to own the Augusta National property".

He wasn't joking or bragging, I thought.

Tim Weiman

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 08:30:06 PM »
Jimmy Carter....

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »
Tim,
   Did you ask him any more about it after he mentioned the fact?

Did he know what his family used the property for before they sold it?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 08:35:50 PM »
I love guessing games........almost as much as I love changes after irrigation and drainage is installed
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

wsmorrison

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »
Woodrow Wilson lived in Augusta, GA as a boy.  His father was a minister in the town.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:50:15 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 08:59:58 PM »
Ed,

The amazing thing was that he didn't make a big deal of it. He was into making bourbon and fine dining. His business partner happened to come from a pretty famous family too. He was Robert E. Lee IV.

Wayne:

Honestly I hadn't heard about Wilson living in Augusta, but he came along much too late and then, there is the famous woman criteria.
Tim Weiman

paul cowley

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 09:10:18 PM »
OK, I'll bite.....Thomas Edwin Paul himself.

.....or George Washington Xlll. [road]
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »
John and Abigail Adams?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 09:14:57 PM »
Dick,

You got it!
Tim Weiman

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »
RJ- it would not be the Adamses- they were New Englanders,

I'll guess George and Martha Washington- and if the story is true, I'd bet the ownership was on Martha's side.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 09:20:15 PM »
It was the famous wife hint. ;)

Tim, great to see you posting.  Can you say whether Adams actually ever even laid eyes on the property?  I know that most of the signers of the Declaration, and participants in the Constitutional convention were deeded land in the territories that was barely known or surveyed.  I think anyone can look at their home abstract and find one of the founders.  Maybe Adams is the first granted land holder in that whole part of Georgia... ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:32:23 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

wsmorrison

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 09:28:48 PM »
Tim,

I knew Woodrow Wilson wasn't who you were looking for, I just found it interesting that he lived there for a time.  He also lived in Bryn Mawr, PA while President of Bryn Mawr College.

Great to see you back on the site!

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »
Dick,
   Good detective work. You still have the touch. I was digging around in the internet, assuming Roosevelt or Adams based on the famous woman clue, but came up empty. Where did you find the info?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 09:35:30 PM »
Ed, I already modified my answer above because I just checked the major grantee from my hometown, thinking he was among the signers of the Dec of I., but he was not.  He was a speculator and bought huge parcels of land, just barely surveyed.  Although, in those times, it didn't hurt to know one of the founders... just like it still works today!  ;) ;D 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back