News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Boerger

Re:Why not Philadelphia?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
Jerry - You're right -- and that's an entirely different set of issues (interrelated, to be sure). My understanding is that there are basically two types of ratings models these days: Those for tournaments Tiger is in, and those he is not it. (The majors and the Ryder Cup would be a 3rd set, but they always include Tiger so it's sort of a non-issue.) Interestingly, if you can make the numbers work, the tournaments without Tiger almost certainly deliver a tighter demographic. -Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

wsmorrison

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »
Wayne,

The Ace Club is a case of "If You Build It Nobody Will Come."  I've never been there so I can't comment on the quality, but it seems like somebody took a bath on that one, or rather a group of shareholders.

I think Philadelphia would be a good market for a tour stop under the right circumstances.  Let's get those pros on Huntingdon Valley and see what they can do!  

Many of the consumers are pretty discriminating.  I'd rather play a host of our courses than watch second and third tier players on a second or third tier course.  I guess I'll be fine until 2013 ;)

By the way, Wayne, do you ever get back to Philadelphia?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:57:08 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Phil McDade

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 01:29:58 PM »
The leading candidate is Washington, the largest U.S. market without a PGA Tour event.
Isn't Chicago the largest city without an event?  Or do they count holding a tournament every other year as having an event?

taking the tour out of Chiicago - always well-attended, Tiger usually there, in the third largest city in the country, and removing the Western Open name to boot - has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen done in a LONG time

I had read awhile ago the geniuses in Ponte Vedre were reconsidering, but I haven't heard anything

I would love to know their reasoning behind such a brillant move

Paul:

I heard/read that the thinking was to "regionalize" the Western (caveat -- was this done in the old days, as well?) to move it around to some Midwestern cities -- namely the Twin Cities and St. Louis -- that are pining for some kind of regular/semi-regular tour stop. I thought I read where one of the upcoming Westerns is already scheduled for St. Louis, and perhaps Bellerive?

Of all the dumb things associated with the Fed Ex Cup, the handling of the Western may top the stupidity list, which is saying quite a bit.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 07:50:43 PM »
Wayne,  2013?

Holy cow - I'll be 53!  

So, when's the voulenteer signup start?

wsmorrison

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »
I'll be 56 and hoping Tiger is going for number 19.  Breaking Jack's record at Merion would be a nice continuance of history being made there, but he'll likely be going for twenty-something majors at that point.

I don't know when volunteer signups are for the Open, but the Walker Cup is only 2 years away--you can practice for the Open at that event.  Imagine.  An Amateur, Walker Cup and Open all within 8 years.   Spectator golf in Philadelphia may not have a tour stop, but things are happening around here anyway.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back