News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Paolucci

The Historic Golf Tour®
« on: February 02, 2007, 11:38:15 PM »
This a new angle where the bent is toward classic architecture.  Looks interesting.  GRCC is the WP, Jr. event.

http://www.historicgolftour.com

The Historic Golf Tour® is twelve full-handicap amateur golf tournaments set on historic old, country club courses, in which you can play and pay for as many events as you want. Everyone has their best nine point-results count towards winning the Grand Prize of one of four expense-paid golf vacations to the home of golf at St.Andrews, Scotland, where you tee-up on the Old and the New, the Jubilee and the Eden courses.
Here in the New York Tri-State area, you will play on courses designed by famous architects such as Tillinghast, Raynor, Ross, Travis, Emmet, Willie Park Jr. and “Steamshovel” Banks, on courses that date from the Golden Age of golf – from America’s oldest private (1888) and oldest public courses (1895), to founder clubs of the New Jersey Golf Association…from Montclair to North Jersey Country Club, from the clubs of Morris County to Essex County. You will feel the pressure of having to make putts, and the fun that every golfer has when playing a famous course for the first time. And, with the variety of challenging courses, you will raise your game and strengthen your competitive stamina as you grind out each shot for Grand Prize points.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Tony_Muldoon

Re:The Historic Golf Tour®
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 03:21:26 AM »
Looks interesting Dean, will you be competing?

We do have something similar in the UK.  It's over a greater geographical spread but a number of people play in many rounds and compete hard for the chance to win that holiday. It's run as a business and prices are going up and the number of classic courses they offer is going down.  I've only ever played in three or four events each year but it was fun to be in a competition while seeing new courses.

http://www.foregolfsociety.com/tour/tour.asp
Let's make GCA grate again!

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 07:07:32 AM »
Tony - I am giving it some thought although I have played most of the courses.  Seems like fun if it is really policed the way they claim.  It also could be a bit pricey.  3K is just entry fees then add caddies, gratuities, and travel costs.  Total could be around 4K.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

ChipRoyce

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:22:57 AM »
That looks like fun! Too bad I don't live in the NY Metro area any more...

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »
Where four regular amateur golfers will each win a Golf Vacation to St.Andrews, Scotland

Since I believe it is safe to assume that the cost of this trip will be more than $750.00, no AMATEUR golfer will win this prize.  As a matter of fact, no AMATEUR golfer can play in this without signing away the opportunity to win this prize beforehand.

So, if you want to give up you amateur status, feel free to play.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 04:50:06 PM »

Glad to see the USGA is cracking down on the real abusers of amatuer status. Pretty pathetic considering we have amatuers that have won tour events.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 05:22:50 PM »
Dean,

I belong to a similar group at the NYAC. Here was last year's schedule:

GOLF SCHEDULE 2006:

Rockrimmon Country Club (North Stamford, CT): Tuesday, April 25th
Old Westbury Golf & Country Club (Old Westbury, NY): Thursday, May 18th
Darlington Golf Center (Mahwah, NJ): Monday, May 22nd
Crestmont Country Club (West Orange, NJ): Tuesday, June 13
Sunningdale Country Club (Scarsdale, NY): Tuesday, June 27th
Upper Montclair Country Club (Clifton, NJ): Thursday, July 13th
Knickerbocker Country Club (Tenafly, NJ): Thursday, July 27th
The Whippoorwill Club (Armonk, NY): Thursday, August 10th
Essex County Country Club (West Orange, NJ): Thursday, August 24th
Fairveiw Country Club (Greenwich, CT): Tuesday, September 12th
Metropolis Country Club (White Plains, NY): Tuesday, September 26th
West Point Golf Course (West Point, NY):  Monday, October 2nd
North Hempstead Country Club (Port Washington, NY): Thursday, October 19th

I would say that Historic Golf Tour has a better set of courses, but the Rules Nazis will be glad to hear that the NYAC is in compliance as beer and a trophy are all you get for winning.  :)

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »
Glad to see the USGA is cracking down on the real abusers of amatuer status. Pretty pathetic considering we have amatuers that have won tour events.

Just like them, someone who plays in this can get their, amateur status back after a period of time.  Usually 1-3 years.

Many years ago someone I know wanted to complain about reinstatement to Joe Dey.  Mr. Dey said he would be happy to meet with him about it, but he should realize that Mr. Dey didn't believe in the death penalty either.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »
Mike - I would not say the HGT has got better courses.  Maybe more historically significant.  All and all the concept sounds like fun because the Tournament Director is taking the GCA angle.  The more attention architecture gets the better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back