News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

P. B. Dye in France: Barbaroux [x]
« on: January 08, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »
This course is in the middle of the Provence region, near a desperate town called Brignoles. It is situated in nice, rolling terrain with vineyards and whatnot - the landscape has a definite French chateau feel to it. Playing conditions are dyeabolical, so rounds take long and if you want to relax, go somewhere else. This is one mean track, even though it's not very long.

The 17th green, you are coming in from the right, fairly uneasy approach.

Tee 18, a par 3. Doesn't look too hard.

Upon closer inspections it is not easy to hold this green.

Tee 1, heroic shot, how much to bite off? Play it too safe and you will be in the trees.

Green 9 has several tiers. Residential development is set back nicely, not too obtrusive.

Tee Shot 10 over a vineyard to a crumpled fairway. Into the sun, that's why it's so dark.

Behind Green 3. The approach into this Par 5 is actually coming down the hill on the right. Often a blind shot.

I like this stone in front of green 7. This guy is really happy, because it's a short Par 4 and he carried the "hazard" on his approach. From away it looks like much more than it actually is - great value for money. I'm certain a lot of players run over this green and find the real hazard is the steep drop-off behind it.

Of course I lost my ball in these flowers, which go all the way up the left side of fairway 6.

Tee 11 is a scary carry to a very narrow strip of land on the other side of the lake. Again, don't over- or undershoot it.

Same hole from behind the green. You're coming in from the right. You can also just make out the tee behind the lake.

Trademark Dye. The planks repel balls that are short, you are coming in from back right, where the cart can be seen.

The Par 3 #15 actually looks a bit silly. But you will remember it and that might be what counts. Also, despite its size, it's surprisingly easy to miss this green.

If you are in the area and look for a challenging round, go play this course. It's not expensive and in a beautiful setting as well. Of course it's way over the top, but you knew that :)

Ulrich
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 05:32:15 AM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jon Wiggett

Re:[x] P. B. Dye in France: Barbaroux
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:07:54 AM »
Ulrich,

I played here back in 1997 and loved the course. I felt it was well balanced and due to the various tees offered all standards of golfer a realistic challenge. In fact the only critism I had was that the 1st hole was to severe a tee shot that early in the round and the lake would have been much better if it were a waste hazard. Still great golf and would recommend it to anybody to play.

Keith Durrant

Re:P. B. Dye in France: Barbaroux [x]
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 06:36:18 PM »
Ulrich, well done!

What's desperate about Brignoles?!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »
Well, about Brignole, just an impression on passing through. It does not look a bit like a romantic French country village, which I kind of expected in that area. Will look for more pictures, I picked out the best ones, but if there's interest... :)

Ulrich

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 05:38:16 AM »
Hmm, I thought I had more, but found only two alternates.

This is the tee shot of hole 6, which should be renamed to "Flowery Death".

And here another shot of the multi-tiered 9th green, which is a rather strenous uphill struggle.

Ulrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back