News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Under water golf courses.
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
The future of golf thousands of years down the road going to be courses built under water on the sea floor.  Assuming scuba technology and or human evolution advances to this point what are some of the pluses and minuses of under water design.  Obviously it is currently very difficult to hit a golf ball very far in these conditions as equipment exists today so let me introduce a coating that reduces water friction to that of air.  Simply coat your scuba gear, golf clubs and golf balls and all things are equal.  Any ideas to help get this idea off the ground..

Phil_the_Author

Re:Under water golf courses.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:11:05 PM »
Without trees the complaints will be that there is too much sea weed and plankton affecting shot angles.

Steve Curry

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:13:35 PM »
Any ideas to help get this idea off the ground..

;) This idea is all wet.

Will this be before or after the nuclear winter?

Steve

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 12:16:31 PM »
Mark

Geoff's speciality is at the molecular level.  Last time he tried a trans-species mutation, he ended up with John K. and GCA.com has never been the same.......

Dan Kelly

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:19:40 PM »
Architects will be building rockslides and shell piles to decorate the signature holes.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:24:26 PM »
I'm sure this would do wonders for the Shark's design business ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »
At least this is on topic and not controversial like my long ago dead and deleted thread on golf after nuclear winter.  It is currently 41 deg here and a much colder 35 deg in Chicago.  Looks like next week should clear things up and get the golf season going full stroke.  If anyting this thread proves that under or above water golf humor is lame.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:59:46 PM »
Just look at this thread, everyone obviously bored out of each's mind.

It must be a cold day in Hell and Southern Illinois.  Or are they the same?

They are not the same (so far as I know).

And as for Minnesota: Yes, it's cold and snowy today (though it remains considerably closer to Heaven than Hell). But that doesn't explain this thread.

What explains this thread is this: Led by Mr. Kavanaugh, we're all just trying to press on, now that Vonnegut has left us.

God bless you, Mr. Rosewater man.

I can see the scorecard now for the first underwater course: Venus on the Half Shell G.C.; Kilgore Trout, architect.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 01:04:06 PM »
I'm glad Imus was fired from MSNBC but it did make me sad to know that I missed his Vonnegut tribute that would have surely been a topic today.  As much as it disturbed me to hear Doak's voice (and laugh) on his infomercial I enjoyed hearing the voice of Vonnegut on his call ins to Imus.  Sometimes the curtain needs to remain up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:06:57 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »
Mark

Geoff's speciality is at the molecular level.  Last time he tried a trans-species mutation, he ended up with John K. and GCA.com has never been the same.......

Lmao,

And on another note, also glad to see Imus go, but for different reasons.  Could never figure out how people could listen to his dry, humorlessm, boring shows.  If there was ever such a thing as a Dead Man walking, he would be it...good riddance.

JohnV

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 01:51:49 PM »
April 11, 2007 - Kurt Vonnegut dies, so it goes.

I remember reading all his books back when I was in my 20s.  Reading the obituaries today makes me want to reread them.

If anyone discovers Ice-9, the underwater courses won't be very playable.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:53:11 PM »
April 11, 2007 - Kurt Vonnegut dies, so it goes.

And so it HAS to go...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 03:23:52 PM »
Muse:

Is the Internet (e.g., GolfClubAtlas.com) more extraordinary than anything of Vonnegut's imagining?

Cassandra Burns

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »
Getting back to underwater golf... the forced carry over the magma vents is tough, because you can't ascertain the distance.  The hot currents are worse than Augusta's swirling winds.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 03:31:20 PM by Cassandra Burns »

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 03:58:38 PM »
Just look at this thread, everyone obviously bored out of each's mind.

I know I am!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 01:20:22 PM »
Architects will be building rockslides and shell piles to decorate the signature holes.

Yeah...but how will they handle no waterfalls?  ???

...maybe some sort of bubble machine creating a wonderous wall of tiny floaters giving you something stimulating to look at...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 01:32:32 PM »
For all you homers wanting to move up in the rankings, Dornoch is NOT going down, at least water wise.  The Struie course will eventually be toast, but the one you all know and love will prevail.  It's tectonic reality and gravity, baby!

Getting back on topic, didn't Vonnegut write "Watership Down?"

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 02:53:49 PM »
I'll miss Vonnegut too...sirens of titan was AMAZING.

Ransom K. Fern...a butt like two BBs.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »
For all you homers wanting to move up in the rankings, Dornoch is NOT going down, at least water wise.  The Struie course will eventually be toast, but the one you all know and love will prevail.  It's tectonic reality and gravity, baby!

Getting back on topic, didn't Vonnegut write "Watership Down?"

Rich,

I'm a little bothered by the small size of your book...Is it more of an end table book?  Did you have any influence in the scale..

Rich Goodale

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
John

How do you know my daughter is not huge?

Just buy one of each and you'll see how perfect is the scale.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back