News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Smoot

Re:To drive or to transport...Illinois to L.A....Courses along the way
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 01:07:09 PM »
Paa-Ko Ridge near Alquerque is worth stopping.  The Rawls course is worth it but might be a bigger detour then you want, as it is more than 1 1/2 hours from Amarillo.  Karsten Creek in Stillwater is about an hour north of the highway, good Fazio.

Played the Rawls course the day after Thanksgiving for the second time.  The course was definitely F&F.  The greens still had significant speed but somewhat a little worse for wear.  This course is fantastic, even better than I remember the first time.  I loved the green contouring.  From the first tee forward, you wouldn't know you were in West Texas.  There are some great par 3's on this course.  Would love to come back and get my butt kicked in some wind.

Billsteele

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 08:32:34 AM »
JK-If you are driving from Illinois to LA, there is only one way to go: follow the remnants of Route 66. I can't vouch for the golf along this route (although there are plenty of options close to the arteries you'll be travelling). My wife and I did this on our honeymoon in 1993. It's a great way to see the country and some of the charm, quirkiness and kitsch that have been traded for the convenience of the interstate highway system. For a guy who lays asphalt for a living, it seems like a natural.

Brad Klein

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 08:36:34 AM »
JK, I did a golf architecture-related account of the Arizona stretch of Rte. 66 in the Aug. 26 Golfweek. Bill's right -- as usual. It's worth tracking this historic road.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 02:48:12 AM »
For anyone that's interested about why Paa-Ko is closed, remember that's on the opposite side of the mountain from Albuquerque. It's also somewhat higher elevation. The weather is a lot different. Paa-Ko is under snow for much of the winter.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2006, 09:58:09 AM »
John

Re: Vista Verde

I may be the only person here who has played Vista Verde. Unfortunately, my day there was ruined by my friend, a single digit handicapper, who was playing as a 25 handicapper that day and was constantly complaining about everything. Nevertheless, the course did play fast and firm in April and the design and variety of holes was excellent. I don't know why it's not getting more acclaim. Here's a good review which has refreshed my recollection:

http://tinyurl.com/y5emk6

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2006, 04:10:05 PM »
 8)

No way you're leaving Jan 1 and will be golfing Jan 2 or much on the 3rd in AZ..  more than 15 hours a day is suicide, even with two drivers on that route..

Your direct hypotenuse path would be fine in April, but as Bill McBride said, definitely iffy in Jan..  

OK & North TX I'd forecast will be an ice storm or at best just freezin with a 2-3 club wind out of CO..  The NM & AZ Mountain passes will need to be checked, and you won't make good time unless you're blessed with clear weather and nothing bad has happened soon before.. bring your winter survival gear..

Plan B, the southern route "south of dallas" through Austin or even Houston will at worst be rainy.. or clear dry cold.. depends how much moisture the southern jet stream is bringing in from the pacific across mexico..

Good luck.. If you're ever in Spring, TX.. ..  8) Look us up..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back