News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

cary lichtenstein

Re:Personal "Bests": Offbeat Achievements in 2006
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2006, 11:24:04 AM »
When I was young, the first time I broke 80, I shot 77.

I could keep my mouth shut all day, bragging to everyone how I finally did it, etc.

They next day, I shot 91  :'(

But a worse story is when I won a club championship and the next day went to play with my buddies who were all in the next class. I rolled my tee shot on #1, rolled my 2nd and 3rd shots, and I heard about this performance for 15 years >:(
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2006, 11:26:12 AM »
AHA!

Used to be known as San Ramon Royal Vista... pretty darn fun course - and yes, there is an island green, the surroundings of which swallowed by misplayed wedge shot last time there.  It is indeed surrounded by houses now... but it's not too awful in that respect.

Interestingly, and topical to this thread if this we can back up 6-7 years, this course also saw a tournament win by yours truly, one of few in my mediocre golf career... This was a church fund-raiser for a friend of mine, and being it's a Catholic church, it shouldn't surprise you to hear massive quantities of alcohol were consumed during play.  Perhaps this helped... as I somehow managed a gross 68 and won the tourney by 6 shots... much to the chagrin of many....

;D

Interesting...I don't recall the course as being that easy...  ::)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2006, 11:33:58 AM »
Bill - it's not that easy.  Next time I played it after that beer-induced 68, I struggled to something in the mid-80s.  That church tourney was just one freakishly good round.  And it did occur at the beautiful and challenging San Ramon GC.

;D

Scott Stearns

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2006, 11:39:35 AM »
personal best-golf trip to 3 courses in ohio with fellow travellers--guys who appreciate GCA

personal worst-the quality of my golf game on the trip, coupled with the fact that I played the best golf of my life after returning.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2006, 12:01:55 PM »
john, i'm guessing garland's opponent would argue that he never gave wrong information (however untrue) and that the information given was just misinterpreted....

I am not too concerned about it as I am a high handicapper and play in flights for high handicappers. I win most of the money in our club tournaments since I don't engage in "rolling the ball" and "picking up" so my handicap probably is a better indication of my ability than others at my level who engage in such behavior. The USGA's handicap guru Knuth says the same about his tournament play so that is where I got my explanation.

The result is that I know not to play with this person in the future and if we happen to be matched in the future I will have a grudge to act on. The last time someone caused me to hold such a grudge, I shot a personal best that still stands in my next tournament match against him and buried him.

Since we are mentioning day and night nines in the same 18. I attended my one and only GCA get together last year. Being a high handicapper playing amongst these low handicapper GCAs, I was real nervous and shot 54 on the front. I got it together and shot 42 on the back with two birdies to shoot about my handicap. Had 2/3rds of the birdies that day and perhaps rubbed it in a bit much as I haven't heard from Mr. Erdmann since. ;) It must be that new baby in the Erdmann household that has kept him quiet (or at least I hope so).
 ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hoak

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2006, 03:28:37 PM »
Took trip of a lifetime to Monterey this summer and managed to play holes 6 through 10 at Pebble to a score of two under par, while going a cumulative 12 over par on the other 13 holes.  The very next day I was even par walking off of the fifth hole at Spyglass and preceeded to completely self destruct, finishing with a 91.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2006, 03:44:21 PM »
Since we are mentioning day and night nines in the same 18. I attended my one and only GCA get together last year. Being a high handicapper playing amongst these low handicapper GCAs, I was real nervous and shot 54 on the front. I got it together and shot 42 on the back with two birdies to shoot about my handicap. Had 2/3rds of the birdies that day and perhaps rubbed it in a bit much as I haven't heard from Mr. Erdmann since. ;) It must be that new baby in the Erdmann household that has kept him quiet (or at least I hope so).
 ;)

Hopefully Mr. Erdmann will spot this and respond suitably!  Every time I play with him, Mike beats me to death.  My brother and I visited his very nice course at Ilahee Hills in Salem Oregon last summer and he was not very gentlemanly as he stomped me yet again....... :-[ ;)

Tim Bert

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2006, 03:47:32 PM »
When I was young, the first time I broke 80, I shot 77.

I could keep my mouth shut all day, bragging to everyone how I finally did it, etc.

They next day, I shot 91  :'(

But a worse story is when I won a club championship and the next day went to play with my buddies who were all in the next class. I rolled my tee shot on #1, rolled my 2nd and 3rd shots, and I heard about this performance for 15 years >:(

Cary - The last time I broke 80 was in the first round of the C flight of the club championship.  I shot my career best 76.  I followed that up with an 87 (I still won the C flight by a wide margin) and I haven't broken 80 since (5 years.)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2006, 03:48:34 PM »

Hopefully Mr. Erdmann will spot this and respond suitably!  Every time I play with him, Mike beats me to death.  My brother and I visited his very nice course at Ilahee Hills in Salem Oregon last summer and he was not very gentlemanly as he stomped me yet again....... :-[ ;)

Probably was still in a foul mood after being shown how to make birdies by a high handicapper. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back