News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Gary Daughters

Re:Golf in the Kingdom - The Movie
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 06:00:12 PM »

Tom D:

Someone told me the book on tape is quite compelling.  This was a reader who shared my opinion that the book itself can be a bit difficult.  Maybe it's the accents.  I haven't tried it yet but have been tempted.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »
Jax, send me your address, you can have mine.

George,

Thank you but I am leaving tomorrow and now own a electronic reading on my Ipod.  I would send the book to Jordan if I were you.

John_Cullum

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 06:04:40 PM »
Huck,

I'm downloading the book as we speak.  The very idea of how much I'm going to hate it has put me in a very good mood.

That's probably a pretty good approach to forcing this one down. I would rate it above "The Good Doctor Returns" however. I tried to give my copy of the Good Dr. away one time, but alas, I failed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 06:05:08 PM by John Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 06:51:23 PM »
Garland,

The other choice is Boston at a university that overlooks Fenway Park.  I'm not sure but I have a feeling the golf is better in Boston...and the one place on earth I might see a better baseball game than in St. Louis.

The best place to see a baseball game is The Cape Cod League.  Nothing else comes close.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Todd Rohrer

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »
Geez, I can't believe that one of the first posts I'm brave enough to make in such illustrious company is going to disagree with Mr. Pazin...

Love or hate the book, it helped spawn the Shivas Irons Society.  They do some pretty decent things, and publish a decent Journal.  I would go out on a limb and say that something good came of the book.

And John's review will be a kick!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 11:22:59 AM »
At least they had the good sense to use the best line in the book, in that promo. Shivas' toast in the bar.

Couple of things.

Murphy calls it fiction, yet relates the story (in the promo) as if it is non.

That guy calling them "Sand Traps". Wassup with that?

I'd also like to thak John Grothe. Tanks far noth'in.

Last I had heard about this film was close to ten years ago. Clint Eastwood was supposedly going to do the film.

Does anyone know the story from there?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 11:23:41 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »
Love or hate the book, it helped spawn the Shivas Irons Society.  They do some pretty decent things, and publish a decent Journal.  I would go out on a limb and say that something good came of the book.

You are most certainly correct with this, I had forgotten about them and their work.

Still, it did spawn a bunch of similarly non-impressive books like Bagger Vance and Co.

:)

P.S. You are often in good company when disagreeing with me.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 04:55:23 PM »
Kind of expected more of this group to be fans of the book.
Reading that book (back in the late 80's) radically altered my understanding and appreciation of the game.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 10:24:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of the book, but ever since the talk of making it into a movie, I've wondered how it could be done well. First, it's not a long book, and if the movie is going to be more than an hour or so, there's going to have to be some filler, at that is when things get dangerous, especially when one is dealing with the metaphysics and new age spirituality.

Plus, it is very apparent that it is damn hard to make a good movie about golf. Has there ever been a good one? Pat and Mike (not really about golf)? Follow the Sun? Greatest Game? The one about Bob Jones. All good subject matter, but poor films.

I'm afraid this project is doomed from the start. I wish Mr. Murphy et al would leave well enough alone.

Adam: I did not read it all , but there are some mentions of Eastwood's involvement on the web site.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006, 11:00:22 PM »
JK and TH,

Actually, the books on tape of "Golf In The Kingdom" and the "Kingdom Of Shivas Irons" are both narrated by John Hannah, a Scottish actor...

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001314/

...whom you may remember from "Four Weddings And A Funeral" anf the "Mummy" series of films.  I thought his voice and accent were well suited for these talking books, but that's just me.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »
Interesting thread and comments, as I was one who, having read the book back in the 70s, enjoyed and was altered by it.........meaning more open to the game within the game and the mysticism that any activity can encompass.  

Over the years some of the author's images have stuck with me.....Shivas leaping and kicking an object high above his head, reminiscent of Sam Snead and his supreme athletic ability, the dinner late into the night at the McNaughtons, each of the guests describing what the game meant to them.....and who among us hasn't done that over and over?....  The lesson about visualization on the first tee.... the episodes with Seamus and the Baffing Spoon down in the deepness of the land and the night.

Also interested in the thread as we at Bandon Dunes are engaged in a bit of work in advance of the filming here, and together are enjoying the in-house conversations and rumors regarding some of the actors who might have parts, where the scenes will be shot, etc.....

....Could be a very interesting February here at Bandon!

Coming out of a week of brilliant sunny weather here, into the other side...rain and wind.

Tom
the pres

Anthony Butler

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 09:24:27 AM »
It is a fascinating book but I cannot imagine trying to listen to it as a "book on tape".

That sends off alarm bells as to whether or not this book can be translated into a film. Having sold a script or two to Fox Icon (movies never got made) and spent many hours thinking about character development and narrative, the problem with golf movies and with 'action' scenes in these movies is the people making the movie think this is where the story moves forward and everyone watching thinks it's a break from the story to show a few nature shots.

Also, internal dialogue breaks the essential pillars of screenwriting:Story should be moved forward by action and character should be revealed through dialogue.

Not that this is a hard and fast rule (in fact several good movies have been made recently with a lot of V/0) but it is tough. For some reason, the drama inherent within boxing and football translate a lot better to the screen than golf...
Next!

Ted Kramer

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 10:14:38 AM »
I don't know which movie I think stands less of a chance, Golf in the Kingdom or Atlas Shrugged. I love both books and can't imagine either movie being worthy . . .

-Ted

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 12:05:08 PM »
What are the best guesses on what course inspired Burningbush?
I have heard Crail, any others?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 12:27:32 PM »

....Could be a very interesting February here at Bandon!

Coming out of a week of brilliant sunny weather here, into the other side...rain and wind.

Tom

Tom,

You remind me of Mrs. Bale (sp?) on As Time Goes By always ending with the shipping forecast.
 :)

EDIT: forgot the smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:28:28 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Olsen

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 05:22:58 PM »
I am a fan of the book, and it feels most appropriate that the movie will be filmed at Bandon Dunes.   The variations in light and weather alone can be illuminating and mystifying in a single round of winter golf at Bandon, and I suspect that the surroundings and  the story will complement each other in such a way as to create a most interesting and satisfying film experience.      

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 12:07:27 AM »
Garland;

I've been called a lot of names, but Mrs. Bale!! is a first!

I guess I got started with the weather report from here because the conditions at Bandon are so much a part of the experience, and so many conversations in this forum bring the subject up.

The weather here is a huge part of my work....the staffs seem to live and breathe the constant changes that the Pacific sends our way.  We are outfitted well.....that, and a sense of humor helps us through.

Regards,
Tom
the pres

Michael Dugger

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 12:41:20 AM »
What are the best guesses on what course inspired Burningbush?
I have heard Crail, any others?

I always heard St. Andrews.  Shivas drove the 18th green.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back