News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

ForkaB

Re:The Merion 10 thread?
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »
Mike (any Mike will do)

Is there any particular page I should focus on to get me up to "speed?"

Thanks in advance.

ForkaB

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 11:50:43 AM »
Oh yeah, in all of Scotland "Where did you go to school?" means high school too.  It sorts out whether or not you are Protestant or Catholic as well as your economic/social status.  Pretty damned ingenious, I'd say.......

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 11:52:08 AM »
Oh yeah, in all of Scotland "Where did you go to school?" means high school too.  It sorts out whether or not you are Protestant or Catholic as well as your economic/social status.  Pretty damned ingenious, I'd say.......

And how do you respond?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 11:54:12 AM »
Mike (any Mike will do)

Is there any particular page I should focus on to get me up to "speed?"

Thanks in advance.

Rich,

I know, but I'm not going to tell you.

If you jump in over there, we'll never get them all out of the pool.  ;)

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 12:21:30 PM »

And how do you respond?

They don't ask me, since once I open my mouth they know I am not one of them (the "I played Merion and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!" t-shirt is probably a giveaway too.....)

peter_mcknight

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 01:40:47 PM »
Mr Sweeney...

By Prep, I believe you mean St Joe's Prep, right?  If so, then you were raised by the Jesuits, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, all things considered.

JESII

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »

And how do you respond?

They don't ask me, since once I open my mouth they know I am not one of them (the "I played Merion and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!" t-shirt is probably a giveaway too.....)

After an especially long day, that turned it around perfectly. Mr. Goodale, another pint for you, put it on my tab there at the club. I'll be along soon to settle up.

ForkaB

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 02:20:23 AM »
Jim

Glad to have made your day!

Of course, I should note that, in addition to the t-shirt, I got tremendous enjoyment from my time at Merion, and I should thank again my generous hosts.  I do regret than during my play I was terribly remiss in that I did not once even think of relating any golf hole or any golf shot (for that matter) to any sort of template, even though at the time (2001) I probably had more real-world experience in playing the holes upon which those templates were based than anybody posting on the "other" thread.  I was just trying to enjoy a game of golf over an obviously great golf course.  Bad me.......... :'(

As for the pints, we both owe each other copious amounts.  I'll definitely be in Philly in July 2008.  Unless you get over here before then, it will be your round!

Rich

PS--good posts on the "other" thread. :)
PPS--Is there anything of substance going on at that "other" thread other than a pissing contest, or maybe substance abuse?

r

DMoriarty

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 02:40:21 AM »
Mike,

What people don't understand is that this is Philadelphia, let's clarify, The Main Line of Philadelphia. Everyone on GCA thinks Old Tom Paul is from Phi... oops - Main Line Philadelphia. This is simply not so. Old Tom Paul can break records at local clubs, fix local clubs maintenance meld, run GAP, die at his farm, be buried at his farm, but still Old Tom Paul did not go to high school in Philadelphia, so he is not a true Philadelphian!! He is a gdang New Yorker for crying out loud!

Now if Old Tom Paul in 2006 is not a Philadelphian, there is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way they are going to let some guy from CHICAGO, come in and run the show at Merion at the turn of the century. Oh they will be nice and hospitable, write a few articles .... but Old CB did not run the show at Merion, and I don't need any evidence from a golf journal to understand that! Growing up in Philadelphia gives me that knowledge!

Mike Sweeney
The Prep Class of 1980

Let's see if the out of towners can figure what "The Prep" is.  ;)

This may be the most intelligent and accurate post on either thread.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 09:29:46 AM »
You guys are all missing out, really.

I suggest that each of you go over to the Merion #10 thread right now and read each of the 17 pages and 550+ posts, and then write an essay about what you've learned.  ;)

Oh, by the way, if you don't feel like doing that....shhhhhhh....(whispering)
"Macdonald had some influence on Hugh Wilson."   That's the cliff notes.

Thank me for saving you the time and energy and also for the astounding revelation I just revealed to all of you!  ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 01:22:15 PM »
Mike,
I've lived in metro-Philly (Chester County) since 1993.  But my high school was Cardinal O'Hara.  Does that qualify me as a Philly guy?  And, it was a good college prep school too.

(granted, my O'Hara was in Tonawanda, NY)

PS - I think we should start discussion Merion WEST.  That course is full of really wonderful architecture.

PPS - Somebody also needs to tell me how Wilson could design a world-class course like Merion East and such a strange course as Phoenixville CC.  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:25:20 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 08:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the thread guys. I was beginning to wonder if that was another Wie thread masquerading as a Merion thread. Now I don't have to wade through 17 pages to ensure myself it isn't.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back