News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:Is there something peculiarly sinister about us?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »
That's possible, Dan, but libelous. :o

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 12:17:05 PM »
"Am I the only one that has noticed that a disproptionately high % of GCA participants golf lefthanded?  Is there a correlation between this anomaly and our predisposition towards golf holes which are bassackwards (e.g. Redans) and writers who can't think straight (like Max Behr)?

Just wondering......"

Rich:

Definitely!

All left-handers are sinister just as Latin said they were.

As for Max Behr, he's the only one who did think straight in a world of people who were thinking like a crooked road. Obviously many still are thinking crooked including all those like you who don't think Max thought straight.  ;)

But instead of these occasional gratuitous remarks of yours that Max didn't think straight, perhaps you'd like to explain why you don't think he thought straight.  ;)

But we should all realize, Rich, that all lefthanders probably are sinister simply because they're constantly in a foul mood with the realization that basically no golf architecture was designed for them. It was all designed for us right-handers who are good, moral, righteous and clear thinking and who live our lives on the sun-lit uplands of life.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 12:21:37 PM by TEPaul »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 12:21:58 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for helping to clarify why I have a hard time understanding where Childs, Cirba, and Moriarty are coming from.  Imagine being the only one from the proper side in the same foursome with these guys.  Tiger confessing that he's of the Johnny Miller type (confused: plays golf right-handed but dominantly left otherwise), solves another mystery.  A good, productive Monday morning.    

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2006, 06:30:27 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for helping to clarify why I have a hard time understanding where Childs, Cirba, and Moriarty are coming from.  

Lou - are you talking golf here?  ;)

Tim Bert

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 12:07:45 AM »
Add two more to the list of lefties here - Tim Bert and Alan Gard.  

Alan's brother also plays lefty, and there's something really nice about taking a golf trip and having 3/4 of your group swing the right way.  It used to look realy awkward to me to see a lefty swing, but I've become quite used to it.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 11:32:32 AM »
Must be the high % of northern CGAs. The further north you go the % of Lefties in golf increases.  I have to consider this when we have corporate groups, from Mn or Canada, lots of left handed clubs required; from California, just a few.
I think it might be a hockey influence, don't know how it works in Australia.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 01:03:24 PM »
Don't forget about me!

I try NOT to hit a slice ball and have been working on htting the ball straight or slightly left to right, so the Redan thing spoken about above is true for me as well...not so good from my eye's perspective.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 02:49:56 PM »
Evan,

How could I forget?

Geoffrey,

Golf and pretty much anything else.

I will admit that some of the prettiest, rythmic swings I've seen in amateurs are owned by lefties.  It could very well have to do with the architecture not being in their favor and having to become better shotmakers.  

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 03:01:18 PM »
Geoffrey,

Golf and pretty much anything else.

Lou

Thanks for the clarification.  Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »
Don't forget about me!

Ditto!

I supose a few people have already cocluded that I am peculiarly sinister.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Moore

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 03:05:10 PM »
I write, eat and play tennis left-handed, but golf, bat and chop wood righty.

I find this to be a tremendous combination for clubhead speed - there is something very liberating about gripping and whipping with the dominant hand that really allows one to freewheel.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 03:27:16 PM »
Must be the high % of northern CGAs. The further north you go the % of Lefties in golf increases.  I have to consider this when we have corporate groups, from Mn or Canada, lots of left handed clubs required; from California, just a few.
I think it might be a hockey influence, don't know how it works in Australia.

Not sure this holds up. Especially since I understand poor Ryan Simper has to put up with three lefty playing partners, D Moriaty, D Kelly, and L Schakelford at Rustic Canyon nearly every weekend.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Lou_Duran

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 03:28:32 PM »
Geoffrey,

Same to you.  And many great new golf adventures.

The only thing I've disliked about playing golf with lefties is sometimes feeling that I am standing in the wrong place when they're over the ball.  I can't recall ever playing with more than two at one time, and only once when I was in a minority.

Mike M,

I believe that Nicklaus is left side dominant as is Johnny Miller.  Leading with the strong side must be a real advantage.  Interesting that with very young kids getting professional instruction early on, more don't choose to swing from the opposite side (though more understandable with the right side dominant).

George Pazin

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 04:19:17 PM »
I write, eat and play tennis left-handed, but golf, bat and chop wood righty.

I'd have bet a lot of money that I was the only one who did this.

Actually, I'm even more screwed up - when I played tennis (pre shoulder problems), I served righty and hit two handed backhands from each side.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back