News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jeff_Mingay

Klein's Sebonack book
« on: December 07, 2006, 09:52:41 PM »
I don't have it yet, but in light of the Nicklaus "screwy results" thread - including Tom Doak comments, and more recently, Jim Lipe comments - and a recent conversation with Dr. Klein himself, about the book, I'd like to know how much Brad deals with how all of the personalities involved in the development of Sebonack genuinely got along, and moreso, agreed, in the book?

This isn't a National Inquirer-type question, at all. Coincidentally, I'm involved with a design collaboration, involving a PGA Tour pro, currently. And thus, the dynamic is very interesting to me.  
jeffmingay.com

scott_wood

Re:Klein's Sebonack book
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:12:07 PM »
verrrry diplomatically......

Brian Phillips

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:45:28 AM »
Jeff,

Although there are many fine photos in the book there is very little depth within the book about the joint design.  It just skims the surface and there is almost nothing in the book really discussing the 'nitty gritty' side of discussions, green designs or even much about the two routings.

I was hoping for more commentary from Lipe, Urbina and Rule but there is not very much at all.

So really you are not going to learn that much.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Gary Slatter

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »
My copy arrived with a $59.00 price over a $39.00 one. The B&N cost was $44.00.  
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Glen Rapoport

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 06:32:46 AM »
As a admitted friend of Brad's, just a point of order....this was a comissioned book, not an independent investigative journalistic expose of the design process and how the persona's of Nicklaus and Doak interacted....You will have to wait for the 'Bob Woodward' edition to get the 'real' story.  One can only imagine what that might be.

Glen 8)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 09:35:25 AM »
Glen:  Correct on all counts.  This book was published by the developer of the course -- it's all the truth he sees fit to print.  Jeff, the only way you're going to get the unvarnished truth is to buy me several beers.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 09:41:24 AM »
Glen:  Correct on all counts.  This book was published by the developer of the course -- it's all the truth he sees fit to print.  Jeff, the only way you're going to get the unvarnished truth is to buy me several beers.

;D

I wish I were in Edinburgh when Tom checks his bunkers at Renaissance... :(

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »
Actually, there are separate chapters devoted to the very different design styles and approches of each designer, plus a lot on how the process unfolded in the field.

I don't go blow-by-blow -- maybe I should have plied Doak with more beer. But I certainly account for the difficulty of getting the two of them to collaborate and on Nicklaus' and Doak's resistence to cooperation -- including a very specific account of the initial meetings, the memo about how varied their approaches are, and how the resulting course combined their ideas and strategies.

The basic point of the book was to situate the design of Sebonack into the longer geological and golf history of Long Island. A feature-by-feature account of specific design elements wouldn't be a book of interest to more than 45 people.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 08:11:52 PM by Brad Klein »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 08:26:39 PM »
Brad Klein,

A voluntary colaboration is difficult, just ask anyone who's married.

A forced colaboration has to be exponentially more difficult.

Yet, the product of the colaboration is pretty solid.

I'm still trying to get the book.

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 10:50:04 PM »
-Barnes & Noble.com
-The NY Golf cener on Dec. 14
-or email me

by the way, nobody "forced them," they both voluntarily agreed and got paid for it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back