News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

A Few Photographs of Art Hills' Olde Stone
« on: December 20, 2006, 10:14:43 AM »
This one hasn't been discussed much.

Now THAT'S a false front:

Nice Nader on this rollercoaster par five:

A little Enghish:

Risk/reward separated by a nice sycamore:

Raynoresque?  My favorite.

Same hole, neat deep green with squared front that falls toward the rear:

I call this hole a Reda (not quite a full redan):

Mike
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:33:54 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Glenn Spencer

Re:A Few Photographs of a Cool Course
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 11:28:53 AM »
Bogey,

I don't think that course looks very good at all. ;D ;D ;D

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 12:01:56 PM »
The landscape reminds me of The Harvester -- big, rolling hills, plenty of open space, a little water, a few trees.

Mark Dorman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 02:08:04 PM »
My first thought was also the Harvester...even though I've never played there.

Sure looks like Iowa.

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 02:12:02 PM »
My one trip through Iowa looked like this:

At least it was better than Illinois, which looked like this:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -

(spaces are potholes)

:)

Don't have a clue on the course.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Hendren

Re:A Few Photographs of Art Hills' Olde Stone
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »
This is Art Hills' Olde Stone in Bowling Green, KY.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 04:05:25 PM »
Bogey - that was a dirty trick!  ::)

Some of the "Hills haters" were probably saying to themselves, "Hey, that's a cool looking course, wonder who the architect was?"

This is an unfair tactic which will be duly reported.  :o

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 04:06:30 PM »
Pictures look pretty good - what did you think of it?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 04:06:36 PM »
I'd say it was a GREAT tactic.

;D ;D

BTW Bogey, if you were there in Bowling Green, I assume you stopped by Russellville and said hello to my wife's grandmother?  You ole charmer you.

TH

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 04:08:19 PM »
I wouldn't play there if Ashley Judd was my caddie and Secretariat (RIP) was my forecaddie. ;D ;D

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 04:35:41 PM »
The question is......"Would you let your friend play there?".....

Steve
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:36:00 PM by S. Huffstutler »

Chris Cupit

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 06:27:19 PM »
I know Art Hills get absolutely no love here, but I thought the pictures looked good.  The only picture that looked a little artificialto me was the 6th picture but I was trying to figure out whose course that was as it looked pretty neat.

The only Art Hills courses I've played have been Palmetto Dunes back in college in the late 80's--don't remember a thing except the 17th hole was a hard drive back then--and the Golf Club of Georgia--Creekside is an unmitigated disaster and Lakeside is beautiful but completely banal.

Where is this course?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 07:43:51 PM »
Does he carry that "Seth Raynor" look to any of the other holes on the course?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 09:31:42 PM »
The course has bentgrass fairways on top of a 6-9" sand cap for drainage. It was good to see all of the turf color in the fall. "Cousin Drew" was very involved with the constrution and the developer Mr Scott is one of the greatest people I have ever had the opportunity to work with. The irrigation system is one of the largest in Kentucky and the local salesman won an award for this large sale. Keep in mind that the site is 45 miles north of Nashville right and has very hot and humid summers that makes even the hardiest bents quiver. Kenny Perry is a member because of the practice facilities. Kenny also owns a course just south of Olde Stone.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 09:33:01 PM »
Almost posted that it reminded me of Newport National, but did not want the anti-Hills flood gates to open again.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:33:19 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 10:50:26 AM »
I will repeat what I said on my origional thread ..... the people at GKL [golfkentuckylinks.com, best State website in the Country!] who have played Olde Stone were effusive in their praise, only a possible complaint that #1 might be TOO difficult a par-4. Certainly there are and will be differing opinions. Good! That's why we are here, and happy to have so many choices.

I was, of course, not surprised it got so little notice by the National magazines, considering it is just in Kentucky, no worthy area.

As for it being Hills, I have played too many good Hills courses to expect anything other than what I get from him.

Doug

Mike Hendren

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 11:03:01 AM »
Doug,

The first is a grand opener, though very difficult. A good half-par hole at 479/449/429.  Plenty of room to swing a big draw off the hillside (the green is on line with the end of the cart path on the left):

After an average tee ball, I actually had to lay up as the fairways ends some 110 yards from the green short of a small valley.  The fairway resumes about 35 yards short and right of the green from this angle:

This fairway short right is not very functional given its small size and tendency to feeds balls away from the hole.  Better to go right at the pin and pitch out of the bluegrass rough if distance on the approach is an issue.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:05:45 AM by Bogey_Hendren »

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 11:47:05 AM »
Doug,

I would be carefull in sighting www.golfkentuckylinks.com as a group that praises Eagle Ridge GC at Yatesville Lake State Park.  First, the two gents that run the sight seem to play EVERY and I mean EVERY Art Hills course and SEEM TO LIKE ALL OF THEM.  Second, they said this about Taconic GC in Williamstown, MA:

"On the way back to Saratoga (I never give up) we stopped in Williamstown, Mass. to play another highly rated, and way over rated New England course called Taconic. It is located on the campus of Williams College. The course was built in 1896. Golf Magazine rates it as the 30th best public course in America. I'm sure that was true in 1896, but we've built at least 1000 golf courses better than Taconic since then."

http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/Pages/Golf%20Trips/NewEngland05.html

I also want to say that I do not dislike ALL Art Hills courses and agree with several in the group here that have noted that some of his recent courses (handled it appears more by his associates and less by him) seem to be markedly better.  Here are some of the recent courses by Hills that are not that bad: Shepherd's Hollow GC (Clarkston, MI), Fieldstone GC (Auburn Hills, MI), and the Yatesville Lake Park Course (Louissa, KY).  Unfortunately, I have played more that I dislike that like, but these course were all built prior to 1995 with the exception being Longaberger.

From what I have seen of the pictures of Olde Stone, it looks to be good.

Nick Church

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 12:29:40 PM »
I actually made this green in 2 shots.  It is by far the most difficult opening hole that I've ever encountered.  Factor in that there isn't a bunker or water hazard on the hole.

That said.... I proceeded to run my first putt 40 feet past the hole, then off the green.  Three more putts, and I walked away with a double bogey.

The fairway resumes about 35 yards short and right of the green from this angle:

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 12:31:19 PM »
Bogie, I will not take the bait as Glenn did. I thought all but two of the holes you put up looked great. Englandish and the par 5 had that Hills look to them.

Nick Church

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 12:31:59 PM »
Here is a link to the official club site, with it's "Course Gallery" picture show towards the bottom.

Be warned, the photos are of the professional, late afternoon variety --- the style that is often debated with much zest here.

Still neat to look through IMO.

http://www.olde-stone.com/golf_course.htm

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 01:25:55 PM »
Bogie, I will not take the bait as Glenn did. I thought all but two of the holes you put up looked great. Englandish and the par 5 had that Hills look to them.

Tiger,

Bogey put up a nice par 5 months ago and I said it looked like a great hole. I sniffed the bait, but I wouldn't say I took it. With good land and 2 directional cut fairways, it is easy to be fooled, even by Hills. I think Doug Ralston is Art Hills, for the record. ;D

Doug Ralston

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 05:24:33 PM »
Chris;

One of the two guys who operate GKL [Moe Miller], is indeed a big Art Hills fan. He even loved Longaberger *gasp*. Neither of the two love ER as I do [wimps!]. Moe actually likes trees BTW, so he will certainly be at odds with common thought on GCA.  ;)

The GKL site is unsurpassed in it's detail on the courses in and around Kentucky. And it has lots of little extras, even Beer Cart Girl pix and info on which courses sell beer etc. Show me better in any other State.

Glenn;

Thank you for the compliment. Please have the course managers I have worked with send those checks to ME!! I think some other guy in Ohio must be getting them.

To all;

Come to Kentucky to play golf. You will find many great courses at prices you simply cannot beat for the quality. And the cost to stay is similarly nice. I am speaking of the public courses, because that is all I can play. KY also has many good private courses. I think Olde Stone will be considered among them, Art Hills creation though it is. I think KY is the true 'hidden gem'; the golf destinations few consider. I also play in Ohio, Indiana, and a few other States; but Kentucky has more great cheap golf than those. Just my opinion.

Not everyone [including many at GKL] agree with me that Eagle Ridge is special. It is so different from ordinary courses that many are put off. I hope some few of you will give this one a try though. It is undeniably a blast to play, regardless of what you think about comparitive architecture. Again, just my opinion.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back