News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Property North of Monterey
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:51:21 PM »
Does anyone know who owns the coastal property north of Monterey. I'm talking of the huge rolling sand dunes as you head north from the peninsula after you pass Seaside/Marina area. My gosh it looks like that would make a great golf project. Are they natural? Anyone know? It goes on for a few miles and there is nothing on the property.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

Re:Property North of Monterey
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 03:55:36 PM »
David:

;D
I have to start with that because you just asked the same question just about every single visitor with any interest in golf courses ALWAYS asks.  It seems everyone sees this land, everyone speculates on what a great course it would be.

I'm not 100% sure who owns it, but I think it's the US government... most of it being artillery range for Fort Ord.  Perhaps others know the exact details.  But every time this comes up, every time someone reminds us that it would damn near impossible to develop into a golf course, just due to the seemingly insurmountable regulatory hurdles.

TH
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:56:10 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 04:00:51 PM »
This area?  If so, it is ex-military Fort Ord and many parts of it were old gunnery range so it probably has a few rounds of live ammo buried in the sand ...

Seaside / Sand City Flyby
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 04:01:29 PM »
Well, it's fun to imagine what Doak, Coore/Crenshaw or some other talented arch.'s might do w/ it.  Who knows, maybe Clint, Arnie, Peter and Richard will see the potential and give it a go. ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 04:04:03 PM »
Mike, that's exactly where I'm referring to. And that website was shown to me by Jon Spaulding here on this DG and got me thinking. Every time I pass it on the way to Pasa., it gets my imagination going.

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 04:18:58 PM »
Well, it's fun to imagine what Doak, Coore/Crenshaw or some other talented arch.'s might do w/ it.  Who knows, maybe Clint, Arnie, Peter and Richard will see the potential and give it a go. ;)

How about Captain Wally Binghamton, Lt. Cmndr Quinton McHale and Ensign Parker ?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
The land does take your breath away with its potential. It is too bad cheney is not a golfer for it would be a course now if any of his buddies wanted it to be one.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:51:59 PM »
Perhaps Rcih can add to this.  This land is just North of Embo, the next village you come to if you walk north form Dornoch. I believe once upon.. there was a 9 holer there.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back