News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shane Sullivan

John, thanks for the reply and reminding me to update my golf gripe on my website - my husband was appalled that I said I was a 16 handicapper since he thinks I might argue for more strokes in our matches

Shane  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 11:42:09 PM by Shane Sullivan »

Chris Cupit

My wife is a casual golfer.  She will play maybe 3 rounds a year and, well, she's not good.  BUT, we play every year in the spring and fall couples event (she's very competitive) and she has a blast.

Like many casual golfers (male or female) she HATES bunkers and while I have seen days where she was 3/3 getting out in one stroke, there were days when she got in bunkers and just picked up out of frustration.

For her, it's NOT the length of the hole that matters; it's whether or not she can go around the trouble.  She drives it pretty well--low liners but usually straight--and she is a decent putter but she has no iron or short game.

Even if she only has a 90 yard shot (5 or 7 iron) if it's surrounded by bunkers, she feels hopeless.  But a longer hole with options is fine.

In a wierd way #15 at CPCC would be impossible for her from any length but #16 gives her a chance--assuming the shortest carry across is 100 yards or so. My point is this:  OPTIONS create interest for everyone, it's not just about the yardage.

PS  Wasn't it a lady, Marion Hollins, who suggested and then "proved" to Dr. MacKenzie that 16 at CPCC was a reasonable par 3 and that he should not make it a par 4 hole?

Dan Kelly

Our home course in Oregon, Pumpkin Ridge, works very well for our large women's group.

I thought we were talking about casual women golfers, not large ones!

My 15-year-old daughter drives it about 200 when she hits it right, and will shoot anywhere from the mid-80s to the mid-90s on a typical course with women's tees at c. 5500 yards.

I'll ask her tonight what she likes and doesn't like in gc design. She has played most often at Jason Topp's home course. I'll ask her which are her favorite and least favorite holes there, and maybe we can find patterns.

I think she'd love TOC 18.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

I think it is a positive step to see husbands asking wives and fathers asking daughters and coming on here and sharing their findings.  Let me say thanks.  I will be curious of all things to look at the elevation of the up tees when I play in the future as well as the angle of play provided.  Positive things can happen on this site when posters focus on the task at hand.

I can think of two up tees (commonly known as women's tees) that are more interesting than the back tees just because they are even more elevated than the back ones due to slopes they are built into.  I have played each tee myself just for fun and should have seen this sooner for the benefit that it is...one hole is the second at Lawrence County CC and the other is the 11th at Norwood Hills East if it matters.

Any other examples of holes that are more interesting from the way uppity tees...where you might say the women won out.

Dan Kelly

I don't have any examples, but I suspect that many, many par 5s would be more interesting holes as long par-4s, playing from the way-uppity tees where the women play them as 5s.

Matt_Sullivan

Following on from Dan and John's point, I play the occasional hole from the women's tees with my wife (the above-posting Shane). It does some create some fantastic long fours (the par 5's) and every now and then a great short par 4 (the medium to long par 4s). Certainly helps to rejuvenate a course you have played many times and gives more insight into design approaches.

I once read where Jerry Kelly's college coach told him to play from the forward tees until he could make 9 birdies in a round, then back to the whites until he could make 9 birdies in a round, then back to the blues until he made 9 birdies in a round and only then back to the tips. The idea was to get him accustomed to going low and making birdies. Not a bad idea really.

Matt

Pete Lavallee

PS  Wasn't it a lady, Marion Hollins, who suggested and then "proved" to Dr. MacKenzie that 16 at CPCC was a reasonable par 3 and that he should not make it a par 4 hole?

Chris,

Yes, it was Ms. Hollins who demonstrated the shot, but it was for Seth Raynor, not the Good Doctor.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:20:10 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tiger_Bernhardt

The LSU womens golf coach tells me the NCAA loves the University Club at LSU for womens golf events. Jim Lipe must know his lady golfer game.

Dan Herrmann

Here are Laura's favorites:
Pacific Dunes #4.
Pacific Dunes #11.
Merion West #18.
French Creek #16  and #2 (we're members)
Beechtree "Sahara" (I think it's #12?)
Beechtree #7

Least favorite:
Bandon Dunes #2
Bulle Rock #15
Caledona #18 (long forced carry on the approach)
French Creek #3 (forced carry on appoach)
French Creek #14 (forced carry on approach)

Asking her what she doesn't like:
1.  Long Forced Carries
2.  Deep bunkers in front of a green
3.  A creek near the front of a green
4.  Slow greens
5.  Poor sand conditions
6.  (this surprised me) Holes with drop shots.

She likes:
1.  Width in fairways
2.  Overabundance of trees (this from a very accurate player)
3.  Faster greens
4.  Angles
5.  The "nature" feel.
6.  A well-conditioned course.
7.  Minimalism versus overbuilding.  She doesn't like "frou frou".
8.  Links golf

She's available for questions!

Dan Kelly

I had about a 60-second discussion with my daughter last night, about likes and dislikes. Hope to get more of her time later, but in the meanwhile:

-- She likes doglegs to the left.

-- She hates LONG par-3s that are "impossible."

-- She doesn't care much if there's an opening at the front of the green, because "Girls fly it in. Bouncing it in is a guy thing." Isn't that interesting?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:10:32 AM by Dan Kelly »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back