News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Where did it go ? And, Why ?
« on: November 06, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
All the sand.

If you look at old photos of many golf courses, sand, not turf was abundant in many areas, especially at the green sites.

GCGC, CPC, Pebble Beach and others had vast sand expanses.

Why have they shrunk or disappeared ?

And, when discussing restorations, why isn't the restoration of those features on most agendas ?

Which is easier to maintain sand expanses or turf ?

Are carts the culprit ?

Bill Gayne

Re:Where did it go ? And, Why ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »
Pat,

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the courses you listed so I will offer a general premise. The change occuured due to the advancement of irrigation systems. Larger areas of turf could be irrigated and so it became easier to grow grass and plants in the sand and dunes. This was done to help stabilize the sand and or dunes.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »
Bill Gayne,

That seems to make sense, but, it also seems to imply that the architect took a back seat to the superintendent once irrigagation systems became functional.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:50:41 PM »
The "architect" takes a back seat nearly everytime some member yahoo wants the course modified to accomadate the golf game of 2% of the membership....whats the diff?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:50:56 PM »
Bill Gayne,

That seems to make sense, but, it also seems to imply that the architect took a back seat to the superintendent once irrigagation systems became functional.

Or, he had died.....a drastic way of taking a bcak seat if you ask me!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 08:01:13 PM »
This is what I was referencing.

Compare this aerial to today's version on Google Earth.

The loss of the bunkering/sand is substantive.

Why and when did it happen

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back