News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

One fairway, two holes
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:01:55 PM »
The split fairways thread got me thinking. How many examples are there of one fairway being used by more than one hole. TOC or the Sheep Ranch spring to mind as obvious examples but what others are there and do they work?

Bill_McBride

Re:One fairway, two holes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »
http://www.painswickgolf.com/

Painswick Golf Club, scene of the 2004 Buda Cup II, the Ryder Cup style match between US and Rest of the World teams.  Most of the non-par 3 holes at Painswick share a fairway with an oncoming hole.  (Unlike TOC where the shared fairways are side by side, at Painswick the oncoming golfers are in the same fairway coming right at you).   The incoming groups have the right of way.

Painwick can rightfully be called the "quirkiest course in golf."  In its way, it is about as down to earth and basic fun as there is in golf.  Check out the "Gallery" of photos, there are a number of the terrace above the green of the short 18th.  The members have great fun up there, jeering at the incoming groups from tee shot to final putt!

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »
CPC #8/#9 certainly seemed to function that way--at least when one hits a big pull or hook!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
A little different take on this from Art Hills at Chicago Highlands:

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Scott Szabo

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »
Wild Horse in Gothenburg has a shared fairway on holes 2 and 3, with a big bunker complex "splitting" the two, if you will. However, there are playing areas both short and long of the complex.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »
What about the right fairway bunker at #1 at Crystal Downs?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 01:14:48 PM »
Lets see, Painswick has to be first and foremost for shared fairways.  Some work and some dont'!

The 2nd & 14th are ok.  

The 3rd and 13th are ok.

I don't think the crossover for #s 4 & 12 work well.  #4 could be a cracking par 3 with the tee moved up, unfortunately its bombs away from the 12th tee.  

#6 and #11 is the best crossover on the course.  Great use of the land which allows for the course to route back out of the hilltop fort.  Brilliant!

The 8th & 9th.  Bill tells no lie, balls coming flying in fast and furious if you are heading down the 8th.  Do I think it works?  Certainly not.  Its crazy dangerous and the 9th is no better for having a blind drive.  I can't undestand why the tee for #9 is moved up top and probably to the left of #8 fairway.  It creates a crossover, but that is much preferable to the aerial assault I suffered!

#16 & 17 are ok.

I spose many are wondering what the hell is going on at Painswick.  It has to be seen to be believed.

Ciao

I have some half a dozen or so nice pics of Painswick how do i post them?
BTW.
Crossing holes at Painswick are: 1,2*,3,4,6,8,9,11,12,13,14,16,17 *the 2nd crosses the 1st and 14th.
There are several quite dangerous situations there, 8 and 9 can be lethal as you say the drive from 9 is sort of blind, but some other areas are blind to the walkers of other users of this land. 11 is dangerous, the blind short holes. If they ever had to comply with 'modern regulations' this course would come to an end.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 03:50:27 PM »
Lets see, Painswick has to be first and foremost for shared fairways.  Some work and some dont'!

The 2nd & 14th are ok.  

The 3rd and 13th are ok.

I don't think the crossover for #s 4 & 12 work well.  #4 could be a cracking par 3 with the tee moved up, unfortunately its bombs away from the 12th tee.  

#6 and #11 is the best crossover on the course.  Great use of the land which allows for the course to route back out of the hilltop fort.  Brilliant!

The 8th & 9th.  Bill tells no lie, balls coming flying in fast and furious if you are heading down the 8th.  Do I think it works?  Certainly not.  Its crazy dangerous and the 9th is no better for having a blind drive.  I can't undestand why the tee for #9 is moved up top and probably to the left of #8 fairway.  It creates a crossover, but that is much preferable to the aerial assault I suffered!

#16 & 17 are ok.

I spose many are wondering what the hell is going on at Painswick.  It has to be seen to be believed.

Ciao

BTW.
Crossing holes at Painswick are: 1,2*,3,4,6,8,9,11,12,13,14,16,17 *the 2nd crosses the 1st and 14th.
There are several quite dangerous situations there, 8 and 9 can be lethal as you say the drive from 9 is sort of blind, but some other areas are blind to the walkers of other users of this land. 11 is dangerous, the blind short holes. If they ever had to comply with 'modern regulations' this course would come to an end.

Technically, the 1st green is below the centerline of #2, but errant tee balls could certainly stray far enough right to take off somebody's head.  So I really wouldn't say that #1 and #2 cross.  #14 and #2 most certainly do!

What about the tee shots across the quarries on #14 and #16?  These are certainly very dramatic and attractive shots.  

It's too bad your friends won't take a chance to play Painswick, as there are definitely many really solid shots there.  The tee shot down into the dell for #15 for example.

Cassandra Burns

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »
My current home course, beloved "Triple A" at Forest Park in Saint Louis, has two places where we have one fairway and two holes.  Well, sort of.  It's a 9-hole course, where 3 and 8 have separate green complexes for the 12th and 17th of the "back nine."  It's kind of nice having a little bit of variety on the second loop.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »

The 2nd & 14th are ok.  

The 3rd and 13th are ok.

#16 & 17 are ok.

Ciao

BTW.

Technically, the 1st green is below the centerline of #2, but errant tee balls could certainly stray far enough right to take off somebody's head.  So I really wouldn't say that #1 and #2 cross.  #14 and #2 most certainly do!

What about the tee shots across the quarries on #14 and #16?  These are certainly very dramatic and attractive shots.  

It's too bad your friends won't take a chance to play Painswick, as there are definitely many really solid shots there.  The tee shot down into the dell for #15 for example.
Bill the tee shot from the 2nd tee is straight over the first green; the old second tee in the 70s used to be dangerous from the 1st tee, you can still see the outline of it.
I have shown those pictures 14th and 16th to people and said "thats 30 minutes from here"; but they seem to get talked out of it. Our seniors go there every year for their seniors open, but the younger ones are all about conditioning and for them the computer says NO.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »
Holes 13 and 16 at Prestwick share the same fairway, in a fashion similar to St Andrews.  There is only one little pot bunker to create some kind of separation for the two holes.  

Both tee shots on these holes are quite unusual, but lots of fun to play.  In fact, if I recall correctly, the further left you play on your tee shot on 16, the better angle you have to attack the green.  Doing so, however, gets you in the line of fire of people coming the other way on 13....

The approach is also special, as a shot pushed too far right might end up on the 17th tee, or worse yet, down the hill, in the cardinal bunker.  And this means death from down there!! ;D

Great spot.  One of my all time favorites.

Copy/paste the entire following link to see the aerial of it:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=55.504844,-4.619107&spn=0.00319,0.007145&t=k&om=1

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

ForkaB

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 02:45:39 AM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=11842;start=msg194594#msg194594

Adrian, et. al.

Above is the original GCA thread on Painswick, with some great pictures by Paul Turner.

Cheers

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back