News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Leatherstocking Golf Course - Front Nine
« on: September 26, 2006, 10:39:35 PM »
This past weekend I had the opportunity to play Leatherstocking Golf Course, located on the shores of Ostego Lake in Cooperstown, NY.  What was to be an upstate NY Ross-Travis-Emmet course trifecta on my birthday was truncated to Dev only.  Of course, no visit to Cooperstown is complete without a visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame. In short, it was a great day.

Bob Cupp recently did some work on this grand old Emmet course.  According to the staff, all of the tees were reconstructed to improve drainage; the #16 fairway was raised to eliminate a standing water problem; the small pond guarding the right side of the #16 green was enlarged and the small stream redirected; the bunker faces were resodded; and one of the bunkers on #2 was retired to "improve" play.  (Hello, Mr. Travis.)  The ever-amiable Leatherstocking crew had just last week won back the Emmet Cup from a rival club in the annual Devereux Emmet Tournament, played amongst the staff and members of five regional Emmet-designed courses.

While it rained all day Saturday, I managed to fit in a not-too-fast-and-firm 18 on a temperamental early Sunday morning.  (The starter literally blew the air horn as I was walking off the last green as thunderstorms swept in.)  Note that in all weather, wind definitely affects play on the course because of the geography.

Here are a few pictures from my round:

First hole, 340 Par 4, the approach from the left...

... or a reverse Redan second shot from the right.

No. 2 392 Par 4 from the tee.

My second shot just missed the lip of the green and rolled into this tiny greenside bunker.

Looking back from the green, note the false front and huge swale in front of the green -- a feature that is blind from the tee and whose significant drop is not truly captured in this photo.

No 3 from the tee, 200 Par 3.  That's the NYS Farm Museum across the street.

What's guarding the green...

#3 green.  Hello, wind.  A good shot just clears the last mound; but when the wind whips up, it blows down from the mountains toward the lake and pushes aerial shots into the bunkers.

No. 4 from the Tee, a 513 Par5.

Emmet cross bunkers from the right side of the fairway...

... and from the left.  

The No. 4 green.   Note the two huge swales, one at 200 yards and one directly fronting the green.  Also note how the bunkers are now almost mirages.

The bunkering on the left side of the No. 4 green.

No. 5 is a dogleg left with a gentle run-up approach to a small green with bunkering at 40 yards out and surrounding the rear of the green.  This is a subtle, sublime hole that is best played in dry conditions.

No. 6 from the tee.  While the bunker would seem to pose a problem, the lateral water hazard beneath the row of willows is the unspoken threat -- along with the monster bullfrogs.

Approach to this postage stamp of a green...

...and from the rear.  In addition to a false front and easy-off in the rear, the green is ringed with five bunkers.

The No. 7 404 Par 4.  Perhaps the most dramatic, deceptive, rewarding, and punishing hole on the course.  Three landing areas, a 30ft.+ deep grass canyon, and an undulating green with a false front... it is hard to convey in pictures how the features of this hole appear or hide depending on one's approach.

... from the fairway.  What do you see?  

The ring of bunkers, seemingly the main hazard to avoid.  Just aim for the pin.  The worst thing that can happen with a missed short shot is it will roll back to rest for a pitch up, no?  Note how quickly the weather changed.

The final landing area...

... another view.

No.  A 35-40ft drop with a shot that veers juuuuuuust right.  I had to climb down in to get this shot, but it doesn't capture the feeling of relief when you first discover how narrowly you escaped this grass pit, especially with the wind coming into play (see next picture; again, l-to-r direction).

And looking back from the green.  Where are the hazards?  Many golfers must leave this green looking back and wondering if it was just a bad dream.

No 8 375 Par4 tee.

No. 8 fairway.

Approach to the green.  That is the Fenimore Art Museum in the background, site of the old Fenimore Farm, which burned down in the 19th century.  

The bunkering on the right side of the green.

The 186 Par 3 No. 9 is located across Rt. 80, along with Nos. 10-12.  

No. 9 is a narrow hole where again the hazards are not apparent from the tee.

Some of the obstacles along the way.

A flat green to receive aerial shots, but no recourse to the high left, right, or rear.  (Not pictured is a 20 foot drop to the rear of the greenand a small bunker to the left front of the green that captures shots that fall short to the safe angle of approach.)

Not one hole on the course is similar to another.  While the Emmet holes I dislike are usually three-shot holes, I was truly inspired by each turn regardless of type, and despite the weather and less-than-optimal playing conditions (eg. in some instances, mud).  

Tomorrow, the back nine, mmm?

Tom Dunne

Re:Leatherstocking Golf Course - Front Nine
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:52:43 PM »
James,

Thanks for the pics--I've never gotten this good of a look at Leatherstocking before. I had planned to go up this summer on two occasions and got rained out both times. This will only make me redouble my efforts to play it...I hope before the season's out! The course looks like great fun.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:53:33 PM by Tom Dunne »

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 11:30:17 PM »
James

Thank you for the most interesting tour with your photos.  I llok forward to the back nine and I must go to visit Leatherstocking next year.  It looks to be quite a fun course.

Dev Emmet courses seem to always feature a very long (for the day) par four or two (440-450 yards) and a long par 3 (220 ore so) mixed in with short holes.  Will we see this on the back nine?

Do the trees intrude much on the play?

Thanks again.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
The back tee on #9 (unused, in this photo) does look to be screened out by the trees somewhat. Looks like it'd be easy to move it a few yards to the left and just reroute the cart path behind it and to the right. But I don't know what's just out of the frame, either, so....

JMorgan

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:54:27 AM »
Geoffrey,

The longest par 4 on the course is #7 at 400 yards.  No. 3 is the longest par 3 at 200 yards.   Nevertheless, come back for the Par4 #13 and #14.;)

Trees do not come into play, surprisingly, unless one hooks or slices terribly -- or hits one off the toe from one of the cross bunkers, as I did on #15 (coming up); in this case, the tree helped me.  (I wanted it removed until I found the ball.)

Tom,
I think the trees on No. 9 protect the approaching cars!  The super might limb up those pines, but I suspect if the shot is bad on that side, your ball is swatted into a bunker.  You're correct about the rear tee.  

Ted Kramer

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 08:05:26 AM »
I've played Leatherstocking 5 or 6 times and these pictures really capture the essence of the course . . .very well done. Leatherstocking is an absolute MUST for the GCA.com crew:

Very interesting routing, some might not love the severe nature of the hole "across the street", but I think those holes add to the charm of the place. The drop shot par 3 doesn't really do it for me, but I can get over it and still call those holes "well done" as I LOVE #9.

Great, and I do mean great, greens and greens surrounds. Lots hidden from the fairway. Multiple plays offer tons of new ideas/subtelties.

16,17,18 make up an outsanding finishing stretch.

I'd be surprised if most on this website wouldn't want to head right back to the tee on #1 after putting out on that really cool 18th green.

Thanks for the GREAT pitcures!!!

-Ted

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 08:39:04 AM »
Thank you for posting the photos, James.

I agree with Ted, these wonderful photos do capture the golf course very well.  I play the course nearly every year since 1995 and look forward to it each time.  Its the only time of year I play in front of large crowds (Hall of Fame induction weekend golf outing) and it is a bit nervewracking...probably how Jamie, Chet and Sully will feel this weekend :-\

The Otesaga is a terrific resort hotel and if you're a fan of baseball and golf...it is a wonderful site.  

Dan Boerger

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:09:47 AM »

Having grown up in Utica, I played this course many times. A real gem with a distinct personality and some really fine holes. I always look forward to the finishing stretch.

A worthwhile side trip, IMO, would be to check out Teugega if you haven't done so.

Again, thanks for sharing the fine photos. Expect snow on the ground there in 30 days!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 09:18:40 AM »
i don't mean to be flippant but how can anyone take a golf course called "leatherstocking" seriously?... surely it has to be 'fun' as stated a few times above   ;)

John Foley

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 09:21:50 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the photo's, they look great. Can't wait to see the back nine. I drive by there very often and have been trying to get down there to play and no luck yet. BAsed upon these photo's I know where I'm going to try and get to next week!!

Did you see any remnants of the flood from June? I know many area's got hit , but not shure how Cooperstown & the course made out.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Dan Boerger

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 09:29:15 AM »

Ally - I've been long desensitized to the "leatherstocking" moniker since my elementary school days when I had to read all those James Fenimore Cooper novels and "Leatherstocking Tales" that moved at a snail's pace! -Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

JMorgan

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »
John - The course was in fine shape, excepting the wet conditions from the rain the day before.  Did not see evidence of damage.

Dan - I had planned to play Teugega -- and Yahnundasis -- but did not have time.  More reasons to visit again.

Steve Hyden

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 04:55:06 PM »
Thanks for the pix; I usually spend a week every year in upstate NY but I haven't played the course in 3 years.  I definitely will next year.  Leatherstocking is the epitome of a fun course.  Short, but deep thinking and a good touch on and around the greens are required.

I second the recommendation of Teugega, a private club maybe an hour away.  Wonderful Donald Ross layout that I'm told hasn't been messed with too much.  The head pro is very accommodating by phone.

paul cowley

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 09:44:15 PM »
James ....great photos.
This course is probably my sentimental favorite Best of all that I have played because it was the first to open my eyes to golf design....and it sure looks great.
You know this course might be a real good candidate for a scorecard renovation that made it a par 68 or 69 from a composite tee arrangement for the better players, while leaving all else alone for the masses.......good idea P ;)ul.

Hey...how about the backnine please? :)....great job James.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 06:05:34 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Troy Alderson

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 11:52:10 PM »
James,

The course has a lot of potential.  Cut down some of the trees blocking shots and lay off the water/fertilizer, it could score high on the "GCAtlas scale".  The bunkers appear well placed and the course looks enjoyable.

Can't wait to see the back nine.

Troy

Brian Joines

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 03:58:46 AM »
I will admit, I had never even heard of this course before. The pictures sure make it look like a pretty interesting course, one well worth checking out. I look forward to those back 9 photos. Thanks for sharing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back