News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Gayne

Re:U.S. site which would be most favorable to the U.S. team
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2006, 09:07:40 PM »
I'll say it because the Matt Ward bashers don't have the balls:

Oceanview in Norfolk, Virginia.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2006, 09:40:02 PM »
Valhalla's greens were fine last year from a conditioning standpoint as far as I can remember.  

The one course that would be a great Ryder Cup venue is the TPC at Sawgrass.  U.S. players play there every year and have experience with the course.  One issue, Tiger doesn't have the best record there.  Any TPC would work, although being a TPC would be the main reason why the PGA would not go there.  

Doral is another course that the US players have historically played well on, although it would be hot in Miami in September.  It seems like the Europeans are choosing venues where the tour visits every year and that does give them a big advantage over where we choose courses that our guys may see every 10 years, about as often as the Euros do.  

mikes1160

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 09:48:45 PM »
A terrible thread..........talk about it all you want and it doesn't matter. Vahalla, PGA owned. Medinah, a PGA fixture for some time to come.

AND WHAT DOES IT MATTER ANYWAY????

The K Club, as American a course as you could find in Europe. Just like the Brabazon at the Belfry.

We lost because we just don't have the fire in the belly.......who is the modern day Lanny Wadkins? Or Payne Stewart? Not Tiger or Phil......

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 06:00:43 AM »
Mike....
  A terrible thread....  Way to contribute! Just because future Ryder Cup sites have already been planned out doesn't make it a stupid thread. It's really no different than April rolls along  and we all question Augusta's changes...GCA has nothing to do with it, nor would Augusta care, but it's just for discussion....

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PThomas

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 08:23:38 AM »
Mike....
  A terrible thread....  Way to contribute! Just because future Ryder Cup sites have already been planned out doesn't make it a stupid thread. It's really no different than April rolls along  and we all question Augusta's changes...GCA has nothing to do with it, nor would Augusta care, but it's just for discussion....

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC

thanks Tony!  

here's a possible site:  go back to Kiaweh!  at least we have good memories from there
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Philippe Binette

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 11:24:36 AM »
It seems like the more they play an american style course, the more the US get beaten.

Might as well play National Golf Links of America, Garden City or Shinnecock Hills

At least, we would see a great course...  

tlavin

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 11:32:52 AM »
Any bank or stock broker's office.  The US team is a bunch of checkbook Charleys with too healthy a dose of one-time winners.  Jaded veterans combined with callow youth is a recipe for disaster.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 11:33:16 AM »
Like I said...let's be honest, it will never be at NGLA....
  Think about it-Think about courses that WANT to hold a big event, have the ability to hold a big event and would be viewed as fair enough to host a big event....

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike Benham

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 12:21:37 PM »
Isleworth and Lake Nona have many International players as residents, maybe more on the ROW side but I don't see a clear advantage there.

How about Augusta?  Augusta eats Sergio's lunch and the only Euro on the team that has had any success (I'm pulling this from memory) is Oh-I-lost-my-ball and he doesn't have the distance to keep up at ANGC.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 12:24:41 PM »
I won't say "terrible" thread, but it's an irrelevant thread.  Golf in the U.S. is simply too focused on individual play and stroke play.  It just doesn't embrace the camaraderie and social "play" that the game features in Europe.  In the end, the Americans do care about the cup, but they don't really care about each other.  It's 12 individuals trying to herd their cat-like brains into a common corral.

Of course, it's the equal and opposite reaction that explains European futility in major championships.

In the professional world, golf is WORK here.  In Europe, there appears to be some pixie dust left over from childhood.

Unless you can get the U.S. team a membership at Never-Never Land CC, don't expect much to change.

CHrisB

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »
Death Valley Golf Club.

Make it as hot as possible for the Europeans, and get into the Pacific Time Zone to increase the jet lag from 5 hours to 8.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2006, 12:33:34 PM »
Tom hit the nail on the head.  The game is viewed differently in Europe vs. the U.S.  While the caliber of golfer on the two teams might not be that dissimilar, the mentality difference is what separates the two teams and impacts the outcome of a true team event like the Ryder Cup.  The venue has little to no impact.  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »
Maybe this puts it into perspective.  I was over in Ireland for the Irish Open this past May.  During the event there was a big rugby match going on (maybe someone here knows the name of the local Irish Team contesting as I can't remember).  I swear that many of the players like Harrington and Clarke couldn't wait to get off the course, grab a pint, and start cheering on with the rest of the crowd gathered in the quad.  

Here you have the Irish Open going on and the big screen TV at the tournamnet has the rugby match on, not the golf.  It was a big party and the golfers were just like everyone else and a part of it.  They were not out on the putting green or driving range with their swing coach preparing for the next round.  

Tim Leahy

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2006, 12:46:36 PM »
I would like to see it on a desert course, how about PGA West Stadium course in Palm Springs? Most of the American players have gone through some qualifying tournaments there at one time or another.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2006, 12:48:35 PM »
The TPC Stadium Course in Scottsdale -- assuming the U.S. players could get their matches to the 16th hole...
[/too easy
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2006, 12:59:09 PM »
I don't think at this stage it matters all that much given the talent and depth of the Europeans and their willingness and ability to play as a team.  I don't know much about Lehman's approach this year but US captains have made some pretty bad decisions in the past few cups.

How about Oakmont?  It would be a marvelous site for a Ryder Cup and the right setup just might allow the US a fighting chance though it seems the Euros could win anyplace anytime.

Will Mickelson ever recover from the US Open debacle?  He looks totally lost out on the golf course.  His swing is out of sync and he looks beaten and then goes out and proves he is.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:59:39 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2006, 01:12:58 PM »
Firestone or Pinehurst or Bethpage would be nice, or Congressional or Whistling Straits. September is a tough month for many courses, too much rain in the south.  Bandon would be nice test.  Regardless of the course,  the event has become so much a corporate thing it must be difficult for the US players to think about golfing. Maybe we should just enjoy the Ryder Cup for what it is, a PGA cash-cow TV event starring many of our favorite Pros.
Valhalla may be the last of the new era anyway.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jack_Marr

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2006, 02:20:31 AM »
Maybe this puts it into perspective.  I was over in Ireland for the Irish Open this past May.  During the event there was a big rugby match going on (maybe someone here knows the name of the local Irish Team contesting as I can't remember).  I swear that many of the players like Harrington and Clarke couldn't wait to get off the course, grab a pint, and start cheering on with the rest of the crowd gathered in the quad.  

Here you have the Irish Open going on and the big screen TV at the tournamnet has the rugby match on, not the golf.  It was a big party and the golfers were just like everyone else and a part of it.  They were not out on the putting green or driving range with their swing coach preparing for the next round.  

That was probably Munster, Mark. They won the Heiniken Cup this year - a European competition.
John Marr(inan)

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2006, 03:47:38 AM »

That was probably Munster, Mark. They won the Heiniken Cup this year - a European competition.

Jack

Munster had a great run this year.  I love the Heineken Cup.  Every year the entire competition is unpredictable.  Its a shame that much of it has gone to pay tv.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Jack_Marr

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2006, 05:21:40 AM »
Hi Sean

Yes, I love it too. And, although I was brought up in Dublin, my father is a Munster man. And Clarke was tuning in to watch Munster too, even though he's an Ulster man.

As a bit of an aside, Harrington's father was a great sports man, playing GAA. He also practically built Stackstown Golf Club, where I am (or rather was) a member.

Jack
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back