News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jari Rasinkangas

Floating range balls
« on: September 07, 2006, 05:38:24 AM »
I have a project where we are thinking about using a small lake as the driving range.

How long do these floating balls fly?  Are there versions that have restricted flight?

Jari

Tom Roewer

Re:Floating range balls
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 06:28:31 AM »
I have an "aqua range".  With the cost of real estate that seems to be the norm at least here in florida.  If you think about it the developer makes out trifold by 1. making a water reservoir for irrigation, 2. supplying fill to either shape the golf course or fill lots, and 3.  creating a range.  But I digress.  The balls seem to fly maybe farther with the wind and less far against the wind.  They feel fairly normal when hit.  They are simply less dense than regular balls.  You should be sure to buy the top grade balls as they last (hold shape) longer and react better than low grade.  Most range equipment companies sell these and Cayman Balls offers them also.  They are not inexpensive and need to be retrieved quickly.

Jari Rasinkangas

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:34:19 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for the info.  What is the max distance with the driver?

Jari

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:48:52 AM »
Jari I can’t tell you where they come from but I’ve hit a zillion of them.  Naturally they are more wind affected than a normal weight ball.  In reality they are fine as a practice ball; the flight is if anything a little lower, you can shape them and they carry about 5-8% less distance. Maybe as a high handicapper I can’t ‘see’ how bad they are but I can tell you that the 'No1 amateur in the World' has all his lessons using them.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Roewer

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 06:53:00 AM »
My range is 225 yd. carry from the front of the tees and 260 from the back.  I have the common cross section of golfers and don't have a problem with too many balls over the lake.  So I carry a fresh one about 240 with no wind, about 20% less than a PRO V1.  

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 07:03:48 AM »
We have a restricted distance range.  Although we have approximately 260 yards I don't think I have ever seen someone hit it through the range.  As far as flight, I believe you can get a variety of distances from 50 to 75 percent flight.  You need to check with the manufacturer.  We also use Tour Turf as the tee material.  On a final note, we refer to our set up as a warm up range not really a practice range.  The combination of the synthetic turf and Cayman balls does not lend itself to hours on the rock pile.  Most of our players spend 20 - 30 minutes max.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 01:55:46 PM »
My only enjoyable redeeming experience with the floaters is watching Cameron Diaz hit them down here in Pembroke Pines in "There's Something About Mary."
Her swing is not much worse than Natalie Gulbis' and just as enjoyable to watch.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 06:05:07 PM »
I was just thinking about this. For one of my landscape architecture projects I was thinking about including a driving range on the edge of Tempe Town Lake. It is located right behind our football stadium but the lake is not that large and I was not quite sure how far these things traveled.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 09:50:32 PM »
I used to practice quite a bit at a range with a lake at the end.  They used floaters, and they were fine.  My experience was that there was little or no difference in distance off wedges and short irons.  I'll guess and say that there was a 20-30 yd. reduction in driver distance for the average golfer.  As far as feel, trajectory and curvature, not much difference at all.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jari Rasinkangas

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 01:34:55 AM »
Thanks guys.  This gave me the framework to work on.

Jari

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 03:26:03 PM »
Jari,there is a good one at Couer D'Alene,which I can never spell,in Idaho.Seems like 20% less flight.The pro shop at the resort would be able to tell you for sure.They are on US mountain time so dont call before midafternoon!

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 02:47:36 AM »
The design firm I used to work for built 2 courses with an aqua range.  Palm Beach Gardens Municipal in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida and the Refuge in Flowood, Mississippi.
I'm not sure if they're still in use, but if they are, you might want to contact them for info.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 10:10:15 AM »
Jari,

The new Bayonne Golf Club has an aquarange that uses floating limited-flight balls. They might be able to give you a few details as to how they made it work...

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 06:25:09 AM »
Mike - it's Coeur d'Alene (heart of steel), the head pro's name is Bob Nuttelman and it's on Pacific not Mountain time.

Jari - Mike is right, the super at Cd'A Resort has been operating a floating range for 10 years or so and can tell you all about floaters.

JC

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 11:41:22 PM »
No wonder I was early to the airport.At least I can spell Spokane.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 06:41:53 AM »
Mike - yes, but can you pronounce it!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back