News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

Re: Old Head
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2024, 12:53:32 PM »
Old Head is eye candy on a high shelf.

Having played it several times, it is fun, beautiful (when the fog isn't around) and playable when the winds aren't crazy. Would I want to go back again?....probably not. Save for about 6 holes, there isn't much in the way of truly interesting architecture. The course design was imprinted by both the terrain boundaries and desires to capture extreme viewing vistas.

When people ask me whether to include it on their Southern Ireland itineraries, I demur and remind them there are alternatives nearby worth playing twice.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 01:26:55 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2024, 01:23:08 PM »
OH sounds like the Torrey Pines South of the UK.

For those who have played both, how would you compare and contrast them?

Old Head isn’t in the UK.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2024, 05:06:51 PM »
Old Head is an experience but not great golf. I am also put off by the fact that the new owners have closed local access to the peninsula. Previously locals were able to walk there and enjoy the views. Add to that the exorbitant price and one can spend there golfing dollars better elsewhere.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Ira Fishman

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2024, 05:39:53 PM »

Kalen, I have learned to avoid politics on here, but query Perplexity for the Siege of Kinsale.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2024, 05:58:45 PM »

Kalen, I have learned to avoid politics on here, but query Perplexity for the Siege of Kinsale.

I try to keep track of what is in the UK vs British Isles vs which part of Ireland is in the UK (and/or the British Isles) and which sovereign states belong to who, etc, etc. but its gets confusing.

I don't mind so much having apparently failed this geography test, assuming Bonnar is right.  ;)

John Handley

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2024, 06:35:05 PM »
I read some of these comments and just chuckle.  99% of the rest of the world that are not golf architectural geeks don't really care about Old Head routing, strategy, and anything that make be discussed ad nauseam on this board.

For most, Old Head is an experience on a plenty good enough golf course to satisfy.  People that go there to play, are probably not concerned with the green fee or local access. 

Does OH compare with Ballybunion, Lahinch, RCD, Portrush in my book?  Not really.  I've played it on an absolute Chamber of Commerce day.  So I really have no need to go back.  But if the right crowd wants to go play it, I will certainly book it for them.

But sometimes we need to remind ourselves, most of the golfing world doesn't care about GCA like we do.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2024, 07:06:17 PM »

I try to keep track of what is in the UK vs British Isles vs which part of Ireland is in the UK (and/or the British Isles) and which sovereign states belong to who, etc, etc. but its gets confusing.

I don't mind so much having apparently failed this geography test, assuming Bonnar is right.  ;)

It’s really easy:

- Politically, the UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Ireland refers to the Republic of Ireland.

- Geographically, Ireland refers to the island of Ireland.

- The British Isles refers to both islands combined (geographically) but isn’t recognised as a viable term by some from the Republic.

- Eire is Irish for Ireland but the Irish don’t like when the British use it as it has historical connotations around oppression.

- Southern Ireland does not exist as a term.

- Ulster is one of the four provinces of Ireland (the island). It encompasses all six counties from Northern Ireland and three of the twenty-six from the Republic of Ireland.

Easy.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2024, 09:08:09 PM »
John,
Your point is an excellent one about the 99%  :)    Many years ago I had a similar “99% rule” but I don’t bring it up much anymore.  But you are correct, most golfers will love the OH setting and the experience which is why it is on their must play list.  But when it made some Top 100 lists years back I had to balk and comparing it to a course like RCD makes little sense to me but so be it.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2024, 09:42:56 PM »
Ok guys. Obviously nobody on GCA is bragging about his trip to Old Head.

My buddy Danny at the club had a chance to play County Down a couple months ago. He's played places like Doral, but I don't know if he'd ever played a true GCA Elite before. And while he raved about it, he also wasn't in love with the blindness and described it as "almost unfair really."

Assuming he gets to Old Head someday, what are the odds it would be his Personal Favorite in Ireland?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2024, 11:14:34 PM »
Assuming he gets to Old Head someday, what are the odds it would be his Personal Favorite in Ireland?

Odds:  very high.  The scenery and apres-golf are 10/10.

I visited the club last year and marveled at the views and clubhouse/accommodations, but skipped it for a golf trip with my boys earlier this year.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rick Sides

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2024, 06:12:24 AM »
Overall I am glad I played it . It’s like a Disney World for golfers with the views and some of the holes are fun and risky. The par hole 12th is a crazy, fun shot . If someone said it’s their favorite course ever I wouldn’t argue. The beauty of golf is that each person playing a course walks away with an experience that day. I remember playing Pine Valley one day with a guy who was not playing well and on the 17th hole he said “ this course is honestly not that great “. I said nothing to him just chuckled under my breath a bit because that’s his experience.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2024, 08:35:38 AM »
Architecturally there is NO comparison between Old Head and Royal County Down which many might put as the best on the planet.  RCD is a 10 in my book. OH gets a 10+ for the setting but after that ???

My sense is that Mark has succinctly captured prevailing sentiment Re. Old Head.

I feel the same way about the European Club.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2024, 08:48:56 AM »
Old Head is an experience but not great golf. I am also put off by the fact that the new owners have closed local access to the peninsula. Previously locals were able to walk there and enjoy the views. Add to that the exorbitant price and one can spend there golfing dollars better elsewhere.

Mark,

My feeling exactly. The Old Head used to be a picnic location for locals. Pretty sad that was lost, especially for a course that is really just eye candy rather than good architecture.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Jason Topp

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2024, 05:03:56 PM »
A round of golf is an experience - and Old Head is a remarkable experience.  I would recommend anyone interested give it a try.  There are many better golf courses in the country but Old Head may produce the best memories. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back