News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hoak

Course to Play on Drive from DC to Bethpage
« on: September 07, 2006, 10:14:34 AM »
I am looking for suggestions on a course to play while driving from DC to Bethpage at the end of this month.  I am looking for a course that will not be too far out of the way (likely taking I-95).  I would pick Beechtree or Bulle Rock, but I recently played them both.  I am not very familiar with courses in Jersey, so any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.  Do folks like Pine Hill?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:23:59 AM by Mike Hoak »

mike_malone

Re:Course to Play on Drive from DC to Bethpage
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:25:20 AM »
 Mike ,

Scotland Run and Glen Mills are on the way. GM is near Rte. 1 in Delaware County , Pa. Scotland Run is in Jersey, not too far from I-295 or the NJ Turnpike. Check them out online.
AKA Mayday

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:39:43 AM »
Mike:

In coming through Jersey it would be a good idea to include Scotland Run and Pine Hill -- both are among the best public in the Garen State and can easily be accessed via the NJ Tpke or I-295.

If you have a bit of daring do -- I would reach out to the folks at Forsgate CC in Monroe Twsp (NJ) -- just off NJ Tpke exit 8A and see if you can wiggle a round at the famed Banks Course there -- truly a unique layout and worthy of your time. If you can play the Banks and have to skip either or both Scotland Run / Pine Hill I would opt for the layout in Monroe Twsp.

In proceeding further ahead on I-95 the pickings for public golf get a bit thin. The other recommendation would be a slight detour off the NJ Tpke -- off exit 11 and hook up to the Garden State Parkway and proceed south to exit 109 for the Colts Neck area. I would then goggle for specific contact info for Hominy Hill GC. Well done layout by RTJ Sr and worth a look.

In heading out of NJ the only places between NJ and Bethpage are really thin -- mainly low level taxpayer-owned layouts and the like. Be sure to play the Red when you venture to the Black. AND MOST OF ALL -- CONTACT THE BETHPAGE FOLKS PRIOR TO THE DAY YOU WANT TO PLAY THE BLACK TO BE SURE THE COURSE WILL BE OPEN ON THE DAY YOU VISIT. YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED AT HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE THE COURSE WAS CLOSED WHEN THEY ARRIVED.

Enjoy ...

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 10:44:30 AM »
redanman is from the "ruburbs" north of Phila. Pay no attention to his views about Glen Mills being on the way or not.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 12:00:07 PM »
 I'm shocked that the Golf Channel cut my cameo for commercials. :(
AKA Mayday

JMorgan

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »
Mike, a certain Mr.Tom Doak's Beechtree is about 10 miles off I-95 (Exit 80, I think?) in MD.   JM

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 12:33:42 PM »
Another Andy Warhol moment .....  :'(

I'm still waiting for mine!  :D

Could be this IS yours!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 03:26:17 PM »
McCullough's is nice and inexpensive, Pine Hill is also nice, much pricier.  Some people like that one in Delaware Back Creek cause its about 20 minutes off the interstsre and $55 and easy to get on...

Honestly though?  I make that drive ALLLLLLLL th etime.  My personal choice is Beechtree.

Jay

have fun at Bethpage.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 03:32:57 PM »
Be sure to play the Red when you venture to the Black. AND MOST OF ALL -- CONTACT THE BETHPAGE FOLKS PRIOR TO THE DAY YOU WANT TO PLAY THE BLACK TO BE SURE THE COURSE WILL BE OPEN ON THE DAY YOU VISIT. YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED AT HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE THE COURSE WAS CLOSED WHEN THEY ARRIVED.

Enjoy ...

I've done this, definitely sucks to hear if you haven't played the Black before.

Not so bad if you can get on the Red though.

JeffTodd

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 09:31:35 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "the end of the month", but the Crump Cup is being held at Pine Valley on Sunday, 10/1. If you've never played Pine Valley it is a glorious day to see the great course. If you've played Pine Valley it's still a glorious day.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 09:32:07 PM by JeffTodd »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:05:41 PM »
Exit 3 off the Turnpike is a pretty good course called Pine Valley...

Seriously, I have always enjoyed the Bay Course at Seaview, a Donald Ross design.

I also really like Twisted Dunes, an inland links type course that is differnt and fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back