News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

michael j fay

Re:Prototypical Ross Starting Holes
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »
Glen:

I haven't seen the plans in years. The clubhouse was across the street, I think but if I am not mistaken the current layout was circa late 40's.

Steve Lang

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 02:39:39 PM »
 8)

Southern Pines CC (Elks) .. 50 feet from Clubhouse, 20 feet from putting green.. short downhill par 4, wide fairway, usually downhill stance on approach, to gently tiered green stuck into hillside, easy three put if you're not ready
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 10:35:01 PM »
Most of my Ross experience is in the Northeast, and they all pretty much fit Tom Doak's description.
Wampanoag:  400ish, straight, wide open par 4
Longmeadow:  400ish, pretty straightforward par 4
Misquamicut:  same, just hillier and shorter par 4
Waterbury:  400ish, downhill, slight dogleg right, not too tough
Hartford:  400ish, slight dogleg right par 4
The Orchards:  400ish, straight, slightly downhill, small brook
Wannamoisett:  400-plus, but pretty straightforward par 4
Springfield:  Short, pretty straight par 4

I've played George Wright Muni, Ludlow, Ponkapoag in Massachusetts, and Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire too, but I can't recall their opening holes.  My best guess is that most, if not all of those fit the same mold too.

Springfield does not in any way fit Doak's description. It is a blind and very demanding tee-shot. How does that fit? It is like no other Ross I have seen for openers.

Glenn:
As my quote indicates, most of my experience with Ross courses is in the Northeast.  In fact, all of those that I listed were in New England, including Springfield Country Club, which is in West Springfield, Massachusetts.  The first hole there is possibly under 300 yards, straight and basically flat.  It is probably less than a gentle handshake and more like a cupcake.  That is the one I was referring to.
I'm assuming you're referring to the Springfield Country Club by Donald Ross in Ohio?  Unfortunately, I've never seen it and it's opening hole.

T_MacWood

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 11:35:53 PM »
Based on the plan I've seen for Springfield it appears Walter Hatch laid out the course....and he did a pretty damn good job of it too.

John_Conley

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 11:40:37 PM »

There are some exceptions, a few of them noted, as Interlachen.

Brad, I'll defer to the Ross expert, but it has always been my understanding that the 1st green used to be short of the lake.  I believe it was a long par 4.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back