News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Church

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Valhalla Renovations (Courier Journal.com)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 05:14:44 PM »
Thanks Nick. I've been wondering how it's been going. Any pics that you could share?

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 06:56:38 PM »
Thanks Nick. I've been wondering how it's been going. Any pics that you could share?

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
If there is anything particular you would like to know or see let me know.  I have about 500 pictures over the last month and a half Including both Nicklaus visits.  It was interesting to talk with Nicklaus while picking him up at the aiport and  during his visit yesterday about our course and also about todays opening of Sebonack and working with Doak on the project.  

Martin Del Vecchio

Chris Perry

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 10:45:22 PM »
The changes to number 6 seem a tad absurd.

How are members going to hack playing a par 4 whose approach is over 200 yards no matter what tee you play from or how well you hit your tee shot? Adding 80 yards is going to make it yet another 500 yard par 4, and probably 440-460 from the "white" tees. Yikes.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 11:08:44 PM »
The changes to number 6 seem a tad absurd.

How are members going to hack playing a par 4 whose approach is over 200 yards no matter what tee you play from or how well you hit your tee shot? Adding 80 yards is going to make it yet another 500 yard par 4, and probably 440-460 from the "white" tees. Yikes.
#6 was already an extremely difficult and is the #1 handicap hole with water and tall grass in play 5,6,7s were quite easy while par was difficult.  Moving the green back and taking the water out of play and having more room to miss will make a 4 more difficult but will make bogey easier.  Also our average member handicap is in the single digits so it wont be bad for the majority.  Nickalus said it will be nice to have a par 4 where the tour guys wont be able to hit a wedge into.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 11:09:42 PM by Nick Pozaric »

Chris Perry

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 03:32:52 AM »
#6 was already an extremely difficult and is the #1 handicap hole with water and tall grass in play 5,6,7s were quite easy while par was difficult.  Moving the green back and taking the water out of play and having more room to miss will make a 4 more difficult but will make bogey easier.  Also our average member handicap is in the single digits so it wont be bad for the majority.  Nickalus said it will be nice to have a par 4 where the tour guys wont be able to hit a wedge into.

That's sorta the problem. Having water IN play is what gives a hole it's character (and teeth). Why would you want to take it "out" of play in lieu of putting a longer club in a players hand? This "no wedge approach" philosophy is fine, but Pebble's #8 doesn't play at 500 yards to get the same effect, and this is just going back to the distance issue that plagues the pro game. A par 4 shouldn't be 500 yards, unless it is downhill or downwind, and even then... It's pretty sad when 421 yards is considered "short" by standards nowadays.

Why not grow out the fairway at the far end and force a shorter, more precise drive off the tee (like Pebble) with a slightly longer approach with a tougher angle, or just hit the usual 300 yard bomb where you'll have to deal with having to hold the green from a tougher lie? This seems like a far less drastic (not to mention less expensive) strategy to take, though I'm sure this was considered as well and passed on.

It just seems a shame to bulldoze such a lovely greensite, but that said, I'll have to reserve judgement for the finished product, it just seems like a goofy idea when the hole is superb as it is already (if it ain't broke...), and the only reason it's happening is because the land is available to do it, and pro's are hitting it too damn far.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 06:05:52 AM »

That's sorta the problem. Having water IN play is what gives a hole it's character (and teeth). Why would you want to take it "out" of play in lieu of putting a longer club in a players hand? This "no wedge approach" philosophy is fine, but Pebble's #8 doesn't play at 500 yards to get the same effect, and this is just going back to the distance issue that plagues the pro game. A par 4 shouldn't be 500 yards, unless it is downhill or downwind, and even then... It's pretty sad when 421 yards is considered "short" by standards nowadays.

Why not grow out the fairway at the far end and force a shorter, more precise drive off the tee (like Pebble) with a slightly longer approach with a tougher angle, or just hit the usual 300 yard bomb where you'll have to deal with having to hold the green from a tougher lie? This seems like a far less drastic (not to mention less expensive) strategy to take, though I'm sure this was considered as well and passed on.

It just seems a shame to bulldoze such a lovely greensite, but that said, I'll have to reserve judgement for the finished product, it just seems like a goofy idea when the hole is superb as it is already (if it ain't broke...), and the only reason it's happening is because the land is available to do it, and pro's are hitting it too damn far.
The only way the water came into play was if you hit a horrible second shot.  I wont say anything else until you actually see it in person becasue when Nicklaus and the men from the PGA saw it they were blown away.

Nick Church

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 07:27:33 PM »
Nick,

Since you offered... could you maybe pick out your 5-10 favorites of the 500 pics you have?  Maybe the ones that will inspire the most discussion?

Thanks,
Nick C.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back