News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Apache Stronghold and Talking Stick North
« on: April 29, 2002, 02:02:26 PM »
Having recently visited Doak's Apache Stronghold (AS), and as a fairly longtime fan of Crenshaw & Coore's Talking Stick North (TSN), I was working on this comparison over the weekend many of you were hanging out @ Barona. Both of these courses are Arizona desert courses designed by architects we (generally) admire on this site; the difference is that C&C were given a completely flat desert with a few barrancas, while Doak had a hilly, barranca filled desert. There have been several general comparisons to the two courses on the AS-Barona thread,  and today Scott Burroughs was good enough to post TSN on Aerial of the Day #85 (happy coincidence--thanks Scott!), so you can have a look for yourselves (holes 2 and 3 run along the fenceline to the left of the photo). Hole measurements below are from the back tees (AS 7519/72--74.9/138, TSN 7133/70--73.8/125). Both courses can be  found in the Course Descriptions section of GCA.com.  I compare these two fine courses as follows:

Hole #1:  AS begins with a solid, long but unspectacular par 5 (661) while TSN begins with a rather benign medium length par 4 (394) to a very flat, open green. The greensite at AS and the excellent guarding  hillock short of AS #1 give this hole to AS. AS 1 up.

Hole #2: AS has a very solid par 4 dogleg right (427) that beautifully uses the barranca to create both options on the tee shot and angles on the approach (the closer to the barranca off the tee, the better the angle on the second shot). TSN has a reachable par 5 (510) that is really unique--the tee and the green are both right next to (ie 15 yards) a barbed wire OB fence. You can take the direct route to the green and risk the OB or play away from the OB and face a longer second with a bunker guarding the right front too. A very tough call here.Though I'm not a fan of OB the TSN hole is so unique in its use of it I give the nod to TSN. All square.

Hole #3. AS has a long par 3 (239) to a very good green in an excellent setting against a hillside, TSN a long par 4 (450) with OB left and a carry bunker on the left side and very reachable bunkers lurking along the right side. Bunkers greenside right make the left side drive preferable, but it's very hard to hit it there. I think the TSN hole is underrated, and though the AS greensite is excellent I found this hole not as architecturally compelling as TSN #3. TSN 1 up.

Hole #4. Again a tough battle between two excellent holes. The AS hole (398) plays over a corner bunker to dogleg left to a type of skyline green between two hills; TSN (430) features a fierce bunker in the middle right of the fairway that must be avoided either by a 240 yard carry or play to the left for a longer second. The greens are comparable in my opinion. Again, two excellent holes that each have their strengths. Halved and TSN 1 up.

Hole #5. AS is a big par 4 (470) with one of my favourite types of driving areas--the landing area looks tighter from the tee than it really is as it widens past some brush areas. The greensite is really cool, perched on a hillside with several great pin positions. Balls hit onto the hill left of the green will careen down onto the green with differing results. A very fun hole.  TSN #5 (391) has a great bunker smack in the middle of the fairway. This hole called "Left is Right" encourages a play to the narrower left side for a better angle to the green (excellent greenside bunker right) or a 250 yard carry over the bunker. Another very tough call but I just find the AS greensite compelling. All square.

Hole #6.  AS has a picturesque, drivable par 4 (325) from an elevated tee over bunkers to another perched green. TSN's is a long par 3 (223) to a large two tiered green. I didn't find much compelling about the TSN hole, so the edge goes to the AS hole due to the options it provides. AS 1 up.

Hole #7. AS is a long downhill left to right par 4 (456) around a hillside to a narrow green protected greenside left and the green has a subtle right to left slope that makes recoveries from the open right side difficult. TSN a straightaway par 4 (457) with a ditch bordering the right side and a fairway bunker on the left. I came to appreciate both these holes the second time I played them--they're both straightforward yet subtle. Halved. AS 1 up.

Hole #8. A medium length par 5 (552) at AS that can be reachable with a long drive and a blind second over a hillside to a green tucked around a left-bending corner. For most players, though, a rather average three shotter. TSN's is a 153 yard par 3 that I found the least interesting hole on the course. AS 2 up.

Hole #9. Two good par 4s (AS 447, TSN 446), with good fairway bunkering on both. The greensite and green at AS #9 are superb--multiple pin positions and slopes/swales, while the 9th green at TSN is pretty flat. AS 3 up.

Hole #10. No contest, as the AS par 4 (472) is great, a difficult driving hole to a fairway bisected by sandy bunkers, waste and trees and a green that falls away. TSN's par 4 10th (437) is a bookend of #7, though better bunkered in the fairway. AS 4 up.

Hole #11. A battle of par 3s here. AS is a midiron (176) to a green with a very good greenside left bunker, TSN a driveable par 3 (that's right--261!) with a bunker short of the green that looks fiercer and closer to the green than it is. Gotta love the long, tough but fair par 3 here, and AS #11 required a similar shot and had a similar but tamer look compared to the Redan 14th. AS 3 up.

Hole #12. Two strong par 4s, AS  at 418 and TSN at 392. The AS hole features a fine bunker short of the green and a grassed, natural swaled chipping area right of the green. TSN is a risk/reward par 4 with a dry wash bisecting the fairway. Both holes beautifully use the land provided, but a slight edge to TSN for the routing and greensite. AS 2 up.

Hole #13. Again, two par 4s. AS is a very long (480) hole that first doglegs right over a bunker-laden hill that you must drive over or around via a fade, then winds uphill on the second shot around a hill on a shot that favours a draw. TSN's #13 (391) is a dogleg right with a cluster of bunkers guarding the right side and a bumpy fairway that presents a challenge. I like both holes, and the subtly sloped TSN green is particularly good, but the AS hole is better from tee to green. AS 3 up.

Hole #14. AS's Redan (186) vs a big par 4 (445) at TSN. Though I like Doak's Redan #17 at Pacific Dunes better because it has more slope, the AS Redan is no slouch. The AS greensite may be better--perched on a hillside. TSN's 14th is a solid,strong hole that allows  for a running approach, but it lacks the flair of the better 15th and can't top the Redan. AS 4 up.

Hole #15. A tough choice here. I really like the par 5 AS hole (614), which plays from a very high elevated tee down to a fairway that bends right. The bunkering in the second shot landing area and greenside are great, and the green is a beauty, with a neat lower pin position back right. Having said that, I love the TSN 15th, a 464 par 4 that plays slightly uphill and doglegs left to a sloped green bunkered short and right. You have to hit your tee shot over or near the right side fairway bunker to the proper place to clearly see the green. Very well done C&C. AS 3 up.

Hole #16. A back to back par 5 at AS (510), reachable but one must avoid the fairway bunker 60 yards or so in front of the green right in the middle of the fairway. TSN's 16th is a 194 yard par 3 that features the most interesting green on the course-rolls and swales that make recoveries and putting a true adventure. AS 2 up.

Hole #17. AS has a big uphill par 3 (230) to a large tiered green, TSN a longish par 5 (582) with very good fairway bunkering left and right off the tee. Not much going on around the green at TSN #17, and this leads me to give the nod to AS. AS 3 up.

Hole #18.  Two big par 4s to finish, 458 at AS and 471 at TSN. The AS hole plays way downhill off a bluff/cliff into a valley fairway with a Principal's Nose bunker in the landing zone middle, TSN's is slightly uphill to a very wide fairway. Although AS clearly has the "wow" factor on the tee shot, I thought the finishing green was surprisingly anticlimactic; also, the TSN finishing hole is relatively benign except for the length. Halved and AS 3 Up.

Despite the "win" by AS above, note again that the topography of the two courses is strikingly different, affording Doak many more options. On TSN, I love the foozle bunkers C&C placed on several holes, the fairway bunkers are exceptional (though they seem so much stronger on holes 2-5 than on the rest of the course--why?) and the subtlety of the greens and generous chipping areas can lull you into a false sense that the course is "easy." AS has the stronger, brawnier features, and Doak is in my opinion a master at greensites. In the end, this these compelling greensites and the green contouring are where the difference lies I think. Must plays #s 1-2 in this area for me.

All The Best,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

redanman

Re: Apache Stronghold and Talking Stick North
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 03:44:48 PM »
Doug

I generally agree, but I give #11 to Apache.   Fabulous golf hole.

#15 you can argue is a toss up.  Great approach into AS.

Considering intangibles, AS is much more satisfying to me, TSN is easier to walk.

I have a few left to play in Arizona, but I doubt there is any noticably better than AS in my unsolicited opinion.

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2002, 04:04:42 PM »
BillV/Redanman,

Definitely agree that AS #15 is the strongest of the AS three shotters--love the green.  Re AS #11 I really liked the leftside bunker and greensite too, but it seemed too much like the Redan #14 in general design, requiring a draw into the diagonal green. TSN #11 is a whale of a long par 3 IMO--the fronting bunker is visually intimidating but should not come into play.

All The Best,

redanman

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 03:40:48 AM »
Doug

What's your opinion about distances in Arizona especially Scottsdale vs Denver/Mountains and sea level respectively?
I found Scottsdale only a one club max difference from Denver and sea level is a full two clubs.  At places like Beaver Creek there is yet another one to  1 1/2 clubs more yet.

Considering that, #11 TSN is not so frightful due to club requirements and also #11 AS is not as much of a Redan as a challenging short shot, not due to surrounds and slope but rather to green contours and compartmentalization.  AS Redan is a pretty worthy hole, but #11 to me is sublime.  I've played each at least 3 times, not enough to satisfy C.B., I suppose, but a pretty good look-see none-the-less. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 02:59:55 PM »
Doug:

If Apache gets to the point where its conditioning is as
good as Talking Stick's, your "3-up" is too close, IMHO.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2002, 03:43:07 PM »
BillV/Redanman,

I'm generally with you on relative distances--1 club difference between Mile High Denver and Scottsdale (elevation approx 1300') and 1-1/2 to 2 clubs between Denver and sea level. The 260 yard par 3 11th @ TSN still plays plenty long for me  :)

Paul,

I really didn't take the relative conditioning of TSN and AS into account in my evaluation. Frankly, I don't think AS ever will approach TSN from a conditioning standpoint. The soil at AS doesn't seem conducive to growing grass. I could be wrong, and maybe Don Mahaffey's brother who's the new super there will prove me wrong. Frankly, I'd almost hope it doesn't reach the highly manicured state of TSN. Some of the fairways could have more grass on them, sure, but the "rough around the edges" state of AS actually fits very nicely with the terrain and flow of the course.

All The Best,

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2002, 03:55:01 PM »
Doug:

You are probably right about the conditioning issue.  However,
I think AS has a LONG way to go in that department, but
they seem to be working hard on correcting their problems.

As far as design, AS blows away TS. ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Doug Wright

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2002, 04:12:27 PM »
Paul,

One thing I tried to account for in my assessment was the relative differences in the sites. Doak had WAY more to work with than C&C, and hence I may have given C&C the benefit of the doubt re the subtleties and intricacies I found both in the routing and in the design. Really an incredible job on a totally flat site. Still and all, AS wins this one handily by your standards or mine.... :)

All The Best,

Ron_Mahaffey

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2002, 09:25:39 PM »
Don has been suggesting that I take the time to up date the group on what is going on at the Stronghold so here goes.

First, we do have some soil issues but, nothing that can't be fixed with time.  The golf course as it is today is the best it has been since I started late November.  Many southwestern golfers are use to lush green grass during the winter months.  Well we get quite cold and even our ryegrass goes dormant, though for a very short time.  The bluegrass goes completly dormant and tends to give us a rather dirty to tan color from mid December to early March.  My biggest challegne and one I feel I am doing quite well with is the lack of experienced staff.  Unlike all of the other Indian courses in the state we are tribal owned and operated.  Except for me my entire staff is Apache.  They learn quickly, work hard but the lack of references hits some.  We have taken some of the staff to the Phoenix Open and will be touring other course soon.  Hopefully, this will help them see what I am trying to teach them.

Course conditions, greens are about 95%.  They are fairly well contoured, enough so that as of today I have been unable to figure out how to mow these greens with the equipment I have at heights of less than .135.  This means speeds in the 9.5 to 10 foot range.  Increased cultural practices should also help with green speed.  Our goal is to provide speeds around 9.5 every day.  At this speed most of our guest have a challegning round without it taking more than 5 hours to play.  Greens could be better if I had a nursery, the irrigation is in and weed control is under way.  Hope to be seeding within 3 weeks.

Fairways, some good some not so good.  Today, I feel that there are more good ones than bad ones.  We have spread several tons of seed during the last three weeks and more still to go.  I goal again is to provide a quality surface.  Fertility and soil nutrient balance are being addressed as fast as training, projects, play and weather allow.  Tees, all bentgrass, are okay.  We have been focusing on irrigation and I feel that we are making head way.

Projects, during one of the first rains, a small bunker directly behing 15 green was washed away.  This bunker is almost finished.  Sand goes in tomorrow morning.  On the left edge of 16 fairway, tee side there is an area that was suppose to be a bunker.  Grass or sand is still up for discussion, for now it is being grassed.  The final decision will be made the next time I can get Jim Urbina to visit.  Both sides of 16 have been cleaned up, sprinkler patterns opened up and seeded.  Cart paths, what an issue.  I am not sure what or when these happened.  Some were place within the orginal turf lines and we ended up having heads on the desert side of the path.  Many of these were removed, leaving a very rough, poor turf quality to bare areas.  As fast as we can these areas are being addressed.  Up till two weeks ago my morning loop was at times quite depressing.  Because there were so many things to do I really had difficulty deciding what to do first.  Well, it is getting better, slowly but surely.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2002, 11:32:20 PM »
Ron,
Great to hear from you and about the conditions of a really GREAT golf course.

Let me so bold to say "World Class."

How is the fairway on #5 looking? Remembering that this was probably the worst of the lot, (As far as conditioning and agra-issues) it didn't matter because the hole was so exceptional.

We need pictures!!!!!!

redanman

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2002, 04:16:12 AM »
Ron

Welcome and thanks.  I am sure Apache will do well under your care.  I echo Tommy's sentiments.  Apache Stronghold is a special place with a special golf course.

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2002, 05:02:47 AM »
Ron:

Good luck.  Apache is a really special course and having
played with Al, he spoke highly of you and your abilities and
I look forward to returning some day and playing it when
the conditioning is how you want it to be. :)

Ron_Mahaffey

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2002, 06:35:57 AM »
To all,
Thanks for the best wishes.

#5 is in fairly good shape now.  The biggest problem with 5 and 7 is that they were seed at sometime in the past with Bermudagrass.  During the winter months the Bermuda goes dormant leaving a great playing surface, but one that is not very pleasing to the eye.  I have decided that at this point any grass is better than no grass.  Turf coverage is almost 100%.  We have been silt seeding with rye / blue and will start the process of removing the bermuda this fall.

As far as fairways go only 9, 13 and 15 are weak.  1, 6, 12 and 18 have a few spots that shoul dbe taken care of during the next week or two.  The balance are in fairly good shape another year and most should be good to really good.

Doug Wright

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2002, 08:24:31 AM »
Ron,

Thanks for the update. I really found the course (on April 12)in better shape than I expected. The greens are really in great shape, and only the few fairways you mention were rough. There were a number of people out there working on it.

You certainly have a gem there, and I wish you the best of luck in getting it polished.

All The Best,

HH

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2002, 04:17:36 PM »
Here it tis.

GPazin

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2002, 04:19:11 PM »
David -

This is the thread Helpful Harry was trying to link to.

Apparently I have been in some sort of timewarp...but I'm still geek enough to fix a link.  :)

GPazin

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2002, 04:23:45 PM »
Damn, Helpful Harry is a faster typist than me, too!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back