News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

The World Will Wobble on its Axis.....
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:23:33 AM »
........ because I like Geoff's article in this weeks GolfDom, which I just read. ;D  Not true, really, since I like a lot of his stuff, but this topic was on slow play, specifically slow play caused by inordinate amount of time spent over a shot.

He mentions that the leader of Pine Valley often directed caddies to simply take the bags in no slow groups of players.

Here in Texas, Buster Creagh, formerly of Sherrill Park and now of Bluebonnet Hills in Austin was famous for doing the same, although all he did was take the bags off the cart and drive it back in. He even gave them their money back but told them not to come back.

It did seem to work there.  Anyone else got remedies for slow play?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Wayne_Kozun

Re:The World Will Wobble on its Axis.....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:40:37 AM »
Anyone else got remedies for slow play?
A 2-iron stinger shot to the back of the head?

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 11:44:57 AM »
Jeff, this is a tough one.  You've played quite a bit with me in the past year.  I think I can play as fast as I want to, but often see no reason.  It is far less enjoyable for me to "hurry up and wait" - so I'd rather spend my 4 1/2 hours golfing my ball than reduce it to 3:45 and spend :45 waiting.

We finished just behind the group ahead at Tribute.  I think they were putting on 18 while we drove.

Some courses don't lend themselves to a fast round.  It seems like Vaquero is an "all-day sucker".  We played four, had lunch in the middle, and were told to keep the golf car on the path on a few holes.

I think the best remedy for slow play would be to design courses with pace in mind.  That doesn't happen.  The TPC at Craig Ranch crosses that creek FOURTEEN times in a round.  In the old days the routing would have had something like 7 holes on one side of it and 11 on the other, with a bridge or two to connect.  I've played some places alone with a golf car where I can't finish in 3:00.

Give me a walkable layout designed to be 6,500 yards and I'm guessing play will be in less than 4:00.  I can't remeber the last time I saw a course like that.

Often the "par time" on the courses I play is 4:40.  Yuck.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:46:53 AM »
Honesty is the best policy. If their feelings are hurt, and you are the a**hole, so be it.

Inform the egregious offendor that they are focusing too much on their own game, and that is contrary to the spirit, found on the first page of the rule book.

Then dont invite them back.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

ward peyronnin

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:49:05 AM »
Wayne that just cracked me up at my desk; good thing I have my own office

I proposed at our club that anyone not finishing under a maximum playing time lose their playing privileges for next week's premium time ie Sat morning/Fri pm. but it went nowhere.

BTW I have lurking for some time now waiting for an opportunity to post on a JB thread to inquire whether you still have that "huge" plaid jacket and do they still make ties for that look?

Ward P
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back