News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Architect's helpers
« on: July 12, 2006, 11:30:30 PM »
From yesterdays Wall Street Journal:

"Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions researchers conducted the study following carefully controlled, scientifically rigorous procedures. They said that the episodes generally led to positive changes in attitude and behavior among the 36 volunteer participants and that the changes appeared to last at least two months. Participants cited feelings of intense joy, "distance from ordinary reality," and feelings of peace and harmony after taking the drug. Two-thirds described the effects of the drug, called psilocybin, as among the five most meaningful experiences of their lives."

Much has been made of the alcholic tendencies of certain golden age architects, fact or fiction, who knows...good or bad, probably a lot of both. For today's architect it appears mushrooms may be a better alternative....maybe a lot better.

Tom_Doak

Re:Architect's helpers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:35:52 PM »
Post of the year?   :o
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 11:36:09 PM by Tom_Doak »

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 08:57:20 AM »
From yesterdays Wall Street Journal:

"Participants cited feelings of intense joy, "distance from ordinary reality," and feelings of peace and harmony after taking the drug. Two-thirds described the effects of the drug..., as among the five most meaningful experiences of their lives."

A pretty good description of my undergraduate years. Or at least the parts of those years I remember.

Bob

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 09:17:22 AM »
Mr. MacWood:

If I didn't know better I'd say your displaying classic symptons of a sense of humor . . .

Jason

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
Has anyone heard about the Carlos Castaneda projects in New Mexico?

I think they are called  "Experience the Journey to Ixtlan"  and "The Seperate Reality at Mescalito Canyon."   8)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:32:46 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 09:07:20 PM »
Has anyone heard about the Carlos Castaneda projects in New Mexico?

I think they are called  "Experience the Journey to Ixtlan"  and "The Seperate Reality at Mescalito Canyon."   8)

I have not. But I'd gladly volunteer for the project...in the name of science of course.

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 10:11:57 PM »
...excuse me but where have you all been?...Casteneda's books?..excuse me while I google this guy who must be close to 60+.

I'll get back to you....after I check with the DonJuan.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 10:17:54 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

David Lott

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 10:46:03 PM »
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FEED A MAGIC MUSHROOM TO A SACRED COW?

Mr. Doak (he's Mister Doak to me) suggests this as post of the year. (Actually, it will always be second--Phil Mickelson is post of the year.)

In case you are really curious, Mr. Doak, here is what the Brown University student health web site says about this interesting substance and its effects. (My daughter graduated from Brown, where this kind of knowledge was a necessary social skill.)

What is psilocybin?
Psilocybin is produced synthetically or extracted from the psilocybe mexicana mushroom and other mushroom species. It is chemically related to LSD. The drug is most often sold in the mushrooms themselves and are known by names like "psychedelic mushrooms," "magic mushrooms," and "'shrooms."

How is psilocybin used?
Usually taken orally, psilocybin is found in dried or fresh mushrooms or as a powder in capsules. It is sometimes brewed into a tea. Typical doses range from 4 to 10 milligrams, but are hard to control because the active amount of hallucinogens in mushrooms differ widely according to the genus, strength, and condition (fresh or dried) of the mushrooms.

Why do people take psilocybin?
Mushrooms have been taken in religious rituals in indigenous cultures in Mexico and Central America for thousands of years. Recreational users today take them as a hallucinogen that is considered gentler and more natural (less chemical) than LSD. Users report feelings of mild euphoria and tingling physical sensations. They also report increased sensitivity to music and visual sensations.

Small doses (4 to 8 mg.) produce effects within half an hour which continue for 4 to 5 hours and may include mental and physical relaxation, tiredness, a sense of separateness from surroundings, feelings of physical heaviness or lightness, mood swings and perceptual distortions.

Are there short-term dangers of taking psilocybin?
Misidentification is one of the biggest dangers to taking psilocybin mushrooms. It is difficult to know if the mushrooms are psilocybin mushrooms because poisonous mushrooms also cause hallucinogenic effects. Signs that the mushrooms are toxic include stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea. Poisonous mushrooms can even lead to death.

It is also difficult to determine what genus of mushroom you have and the dose of active hallucinogen each mushroom contains. To reduce the risk of a dangerous experience, it is safer to take a small amount and wait for its effects to be felt. In some cases, hallucinating can be unpleasant or even terrifying and the memory of this intense fear can remain with the person for life. A bad trip can occur at any dose. Signs of a bad trip include anxiety, confused or disordered thinking and panic.

At doses of 13 mg or more, users' perceptions become altered, and they develop the same symptoms as an LSD user. They also might experience facial flushing, sweating, a slowed sense of time, and the sense that they are separate from their bodies. At these higher doses some of the warning signs of a potential overdose include:

Lightheadedness or dizziness
Numbness of the tongue, lips, or mouth
Shivering or sweating
Nausea
Anxiety
Remember never to drive on psilocybin or any other hallucinogen. Operating machinery while under the influence of reality-altering substances is extremely dangerous.

Are there long-term consequences to taking psilocybin?
Some users experience such extremely unpleasant hallucinations that the fear of that experience remains with them for life. Users with a history of mental illness should not take hallucinogens, including psilocybin, because they can trigger or aggravate conditions like schizophrenia, mania, or depression.

Is psilocybin addictive?
Psilocybin does not produce compulsive drug-seeking behavior and addiction to hallucinogens is rare, although poly-drug addicts (people who are addicted to several drugs) frequently abuse hallucinogens as well. Tolerance to psilocybin mushrooms builds up rapidly and deters regular use.

Is psilocybin illegal?
Yes, psilocybin is illegal and its possession, use, and sale carry heavy prison sentences and fines and disciplinary consequences at Brown. See the Brown University Policy on Drugs in the Student Handbook.

Is there any way to reduce the risk of having a bad trip?
Experiences with hallucinogens are heavily influenced by environment. Here are some ways to reduce the risk of having a bad trip:

Make sure you take it with someone you know and trust, preferably someone who knows how strong the effects can be.
Make sure you are somewhere where you feel safe, secure and comfortable.
Avoid taking hallucinogens if you are upset, feeling low or insecure--this could lead to a bad trip.
Avoid taking more. The effects come on stronger after a while, and you could end up having a much stronger trip than you can handle.
If you're having a bad time avoid flashing lights and visuals, get a friend to take you to a safe, calm space.
How do I help a friend who's having a bad trip?
It is important to make your friend feel safe and comfortable, usually away from other people, visual stimulation, and noises. Speak in a soothing voice to them and reassure them that their bad emotions, sensations, and visions are just the effects of the drug and will wear off in time. If your friend is inconsolable or seems violently agitated, seek medical help right away. Call EMS at 863-4111.

How do I help a friend who's having trouble with alcohol or drugs?
If you are concerned about a friend's drug or alcohol use, this page contains information about different ways to help them.

Resources at Brown and in Providence
If you or a friend are having trouble with drugs or alcohol, or just have questions, there is help available.
David Lott

T_MacWood

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 12:03:51 AM »
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FEED A MAGIC MUSHROOM TO A SACRED COW?

In case you are really curious, Mr. Doak, here is what the Brown University student health web site says about this interesting substance and its effects. (My daughter graduated from Brown, where this kind of knowledge was a necessary social skill.)

What is psilocybin?
Psilocybin is produced synthetically or extracted from the psilocybe mexicana mushroom and other mushroom species. It is chemically related to LSD. The drug is most often sold in the mushrooms themselves and are known by names like "psychedelic mushrooms," "magic mushrooms," and "'shrooms."

How is psilocybin used?
Usually taken orally, psilocybin is found in dried or fresh mushrooms or as a powder in capsules. It is sometimes brewed into a tea. Typical doses range from 4 to 10 milligrams, but are hard to control because the active amount of hallucinogens in mushrooms differ widely according to the genus, strength, and condition (fresh or dried) of the mushrooms.

Why do people take psilocybin?
Mushrooms have been taken in religious rituals in indigenous cultures in Mexico and Central America for thousands of years. Recreational users today take them as a hallucinogen that is considered gentler and more natural (less chemical) than LSD. Users report feelings of mild euphoria and tingling physical sensations. They also report increased sensitivity to music and visual sensations.

Small doses (4 to 8 mg.) produce effects within half an hour which continue for 4 to 5 hours and may include mental and physical relaxation, tiredness, a sense of separateness from surroundings, feelings of physical heaviness or lightness, mood swings and perceptual distortions.

Are there short-term dangers of taking psilocybin?
Misidentification is one of the biggest dangers to taking psilocybin mushrooms. It is difficult to know if the mushrooms are psilocybin mushrooms because poisonous mushrooms also cause hallucinogenic effects. Signs that the mushrooms are toxic include stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea. Poisonous mushrooms can even lead to death.

It is also difficult to determine what genus of mushroom you have and the dose of active hallucinogen each mushroom contains. To reduce the risk of a dangerous experience, it is safer to take a small amount and wait for its effects to be felt. In some cases, hallucinating can be unpleasant or even terrifying and the memory of this intense fear can remain with the person for life. A bad trip can occur at any dose. Signs of a bad trip include anxiety, confused or disordered thinking and panic.

At doses of 13 mg or more, users' perceptions become altered, and they develop the same symptoms as an LSD user. They also might experience facial flushing, sweating, a slowed sense of time, and the sense that they are separate from their bodies. At these higher doses some of the warning signs of a potential overdose include:

Lightheadedness or dizziness
Numbness of the tongue, lips, or mouth
Shivering or sweating
Nausea
Anxiety
Remember never to drive on psilocybin or any other hallucinogen. Operating machinery while under the influence of reality-altering substances is extremely dangerous.

Are there long-term consequences to taking psilocybin?
Some users experience such extremely unpleasant hallucinations that the fear of that experience remains with them for life. Users with a history of mental illness should not take hallucinogens, including psilocybin, because they can trigger or aggravate conditions like schizophrenia, mania, or depression.

Is psilocybin addictive?
Psilocybin does not produce compulsive drug-seeking behavior and addiction to hallucinogens is rare, although poly-drug addicts (people who are addicted to several drugs) frequently abuse hallucinogens as well. Tolerance to psilocybin mushrooms builds up rapidly and deters regular use.

Is psilocybin illegal?
Yes, psilocybin is illegal and its possession, use, and sale carry heavy prison sentences and fines and disciplinary consequences at Brown. See the Brown University Policy on Drugs in the Student Handbook.

Is there any way to reduce the risk of having a bad trip?
Experiences with hallucinogens are heavily influenced by environment. Here are some ways to reduce the risk of having a bad trip:

Make sure you take it with someone you know and trust, preferably someone who knows how strong the effects can be.
Make sure you are somewhere where you feel safe, secure and comfortable.
Avoid taking hallucinogens if you are upset, feeling low or insecure--this could lead to a bad trip.
Avoid taking more. The effects come on stronger after a while, and you could end up having a much stronger trip than you can handle.
If you're having a bad time avoid flashing lights and visuals, get a friend to take you to a safe, calm space.
How do I help a friend who's having a bad trip?
It is important to make your friend feel safe and comfortable, usually away from other people, visual stimulation, and noises. Speak in a soothing voice to them and reassure them that their bad emotions, sensations, and visions are just the effects of the drug and will wear off in time. If your friend is inconsolable or seems violently agitated, seek medical help right away. Call EMS at 863-4111.

How do I help a friend who's having trouble with alcohol or drugs?
If you are concerned about a friend's drug or alcohol use, this page contains information about different ways to help them.

Resources at Brown and in Providence
If you or a friend are having trouble with drugs or alcohol, or just have questions, there is help available.

David
Read the article in the WSJ...mushrooms aren't for everyone and I really don't think mushrooms are for you...on the other hand I'd give the findings of the medical researchers at John Hopkins more weight than what you posted on the Brown webstie (mushrooms are not cocaine or haroine).

Have you tried Scotch whisky, mushrooms or peyote.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:05:44 AM by Tom MacWood »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 12:08:02 AM »
Bob Crosby, if you can remember the '60's you weren't there!  ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 08:37:23 AM »
Mr. Lott:

Lighten up, dude.  I was being ironic, I thought the smiley face would be a clue.  I don't even like REGULAR mushrooms, nor magic shows.

David Lott

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 11:42:47 AM »
Oh my goodness, lighten up yourself, Mister Doak, you worship worthy bovine, or at least thicken your skin.

Since people seemed interested in the topic, I thought I'd post a little more info, and I thought Brown's largely non-judgmental take was particularly interesting.

And since this is about golf architecture, Mr. Doak, I hope you will keep taking whatever it is you do take, as the results--at least the only one I've played (at Bandon)--are great.

To Mr. MacWood: I've tried two of the three you suggest, though never at once, and keep at least one of them on hand at all times. And how do you have any idea which of them is or is not for me?

Jeez, this is an interesting site, but people are so jumpy sometimes.
David Lott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back