News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Which college's golf team has the best deal, as far as home courses go?  I visited Emory last week, and was told that the team practices mostly at Druid Hills, but sometimes at East Lake.  Not bad!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark Bourgeois

Re:Best college/university home course (not a part of the school)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 07:40:40 PM »
University of St. Andrews?

peter_p

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:42:40 PM »
Southwest Oregon Community College has Bandon Dunes.

Brian Jones

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »
I remeber hearing years ago that Manhattanville College practiced at Winged Foot.  Maybe someone can confirm or deny....  Also, I had a friend on the golf team at Villanova which used Aronimink.

JR Potts

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »
Augusta State University gets to play Augusta National.

Northwestern University gets to play Conway Farms and every other course on the northside of Chicago (North Shore, Shoreacres, Sunset Ridge and a litany of other great courses)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:24:26 PM by Ryan Potts »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 08:16:55 PM »
Harvard = The Country Club.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »
This has been debated a lot.  Stanford Golf Club (George Thomas) is my favorite of the few I've played.  The thing I loved most, as a University of California alum, is the temerity of the Stanfurdites - the tips tee blocks are Cardinal red, the front (sissy tees) are Cal blue and gold.  This is of course an outrage which will be answered for at this year's Big Game, December 2nd at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley.

Go Bears!  8)

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »
University of San Francico's golf teams (both men & women) get to practice at the Olympic Club on a fairly regular basis.

I believe the Cambridge University golf team practices at Royal Worlington & Newmarket, known at the finest 9-hole course in Britain.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:27:46 PM by David_Tepper »

JMorgan

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 09:51:36 PM »

I believe the Cambridge University golf team practices at Royal Worlington & Newmarket, known at the finest 9-hole course in Britain.  

I second David.  That's my vote.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 10:00:25 PM »
Northern Michigan University plays Greywalls

Travis Ripley

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 10:01:41 PM »
Oklahoma State plays Oak Tree and Karsten Creek....with trips to Southern Hills and Prarie Dunes.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »
Does anyone happen to know where Columbia's team practices?  I've heard that they too practice sometimes at Winged Foot.  Is this true?  I'd imagine that given their location, they can't go wrong.  Liberty National, perhaps?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Phil McDade

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 11:19:31 PM »
Ripon College hosts an annual college golf invitational just down the road at Lawsonia.

How about high school teams? A few Sheboyan, Wisc.-area high schools, including Kohler, list Whistling Straits as their home course.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 11:48:41 PM »
Iowa State uses both Veenker and The Harvester. Not bad.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 11:56:07 PM »
UW uses Seattle

I know I at least like the course..

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 01:00:31 AM »
San Francisco has the best rotation I've heard of non-school-affiliated courses. They play Olympic as David mentioned, along with the Meadow Club from time to time and SF club every two weeks if I remember right.  I belive that Cal club and Lake Merced are used occasionally, too.

UNLV used to have Shadow Creek, Southern Highlands, and Desert Inn. But now I think it's just SH.

Georgia Tech has a team membership at the Golf Club of Georgia and good access to other Atlanta courses.

Tim, as a disgruntled ex-Columbian (grad school), I would not advise you to move to Manhattan if working on your golf game is any sort of priority. I don't know where they practice, but no matter where it is, it's a long way to go to hit a bucket of balls!

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 07:11:04 AM »
As a former member of the Harvard golf team, I can assuredly vouch that The Country Club during the autumn season is really something else. It's a fantastic course to begin with, and then the leaves start to change colors, and just...wow.

However, as a former member of the St. Andrews golf team, I can point out that we rarely got to play matches on the Old Course - that usually only happened if we were playing alumni or a golf society with waaay better connections than we had. More typically we played the New or Jubilee, but we did play the Eden and even the Strathtyrum from time to time.

(By the way, I had a field day filling out NCAA eligibility forms upon my return from Scotland for my senior year at Harvard. Don't bother chasing the cheaters at football and basketball, but keep very close ties on a four-handicap golfer who did an internship at Golf Digest...)

Cheers,
Darren

Tom Scupholm III

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 07:49:40 AM »
The University of Michigan Golf Course was designed in the late 1920s by Alister MacKenzie, plus they have Radrick Farms, designed by Pete Dye, in 1965.  Radrick Farms reminds of The Golf Club outside of Columbus.

James Edwards

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 08:23:05 AM »
I played for a lesser known team called FAU based Boca (calling Patrick Mucci) and I remember that a team in our TAAC conference from Miami played its golf at Doral... pretty neat!  and were taught by that top swing coach who is based there with Harold Swash on top of their putting which cant be too bad a setup...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 08:23:35 AM by James Edwards »
@EDI__ADI

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 11:49:40 AM »
I don't know about college/university but the Carmel High School had the best deal for years.... their home course was Pebble Beach. My son was at the Robert Louis Stevenson School in Pebble Beach and their home course was Spyglass Hill.

Bob

John_Cullum

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 12:09:26 PM »

Augusta State may occasionally play at August National, but their practice facility for years had been Forest Hills, and is now Champion's Retreat in Evans.

georgia tech now has the georgia tech Club under construction, it should open soon. (lower case letters are intentional)
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 02:54:24 PM »
My college team, Pepperdine, got to play USC at LACC, we had to use the back entrance and weren't allowed on the members putting green. We came within one board vote two years in a row of having Riviera as our home course, but wound up at North Ranch, not a bad Ted Robinson course.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 04:42:18 PM »
I think U Penn plays at Philadelphia Cricket Club.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 04:56:15 PM »
From what I remember, TCU has Colonial.
Steve Pozaric

Doug Ralston

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 05:10:45 PM »
Brian;

I have heard good things about Greywalls, even here in Cincy. It is public but rather steep. How good IS it? Worth the price and the stopover if I play Timberstone?

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back