News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Donald Ross

I'm back... where do I start?
« on: September 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I have been in hibernation in Dornoch but have just arrived back on the fine shores of the United States. Apparently, in my absence, my best courses from Michigan to Ohio and over to New Jersey and New York have all been tampered with. A lot seems to have happened to them in the 60 years or so since I've been gone. I guess my work wasn't much good...I need to start somewhere and my contract with these clubs reads I (in person) can modify any design at any time.Thus, I am asking this Discussion Group: which course of mine has suffered the most and if I was to restore it, which course would realise the biggest gain?

DBE

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Dear Donald,Unfortunately, you can take your pick of not one couse but several.  Listed are ten that you may want to look at and decide for yourself which one needs your help the most:Pinehurst #2--the putting greens are much too severeOakland Hills--Robert Trent Jones and Arthur Hills have both worked on this one.  They tampered with the putting greens and bunkeringCharlotte Country Club--the finish was changed long ago and the USGA had RTJ put a waterfall in for the 1972 AmateurOak Hill--George and Tom Fazio changed the front nine and bring your tree saw Plainfield--property problems have changed several holes as well as people who have lengthened some holes without realizing the consequencesMountain Ridge--although the club has recently realized how good the design is, bring your tree saw as they've planted 1000's of treesFranklin Hills--bring your tree sawBirminghamm Country Club (Michigan)--you wouldn't even recognize this one, property loss and a creek now dictate the design of a change every yearBirmingham Country Club (Alabama)--ever hear of a guy named Pete Dye?  Nothing remains of your designInverness --the Fazio's (again!) have built three new awful holes on the front nine.  You may want to look at this one first and help this pitiful place get back what once must have been a decent course.Good luck.

Ted_Sturges

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Mr. Ross,I think you might want to take a look at Scioto.

DBE

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ted, you are absolutely right.  Dick Wilson and Jack Nicklaus have not done any favors to Scioto.  Is the par three 17th or the par five eighth the worst?  

Scioto Sam

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Come immediately to Columbus without passing GO and collecting your $200.  You won't recognize the place between the trees and some of Dick Wilson's changes.  I thought he trained under you?  Did he do the same things to Seminole that he did here?

Bob Ellington

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Dear Sir,You may want to go to Hobe Sound. If you spend the time on Seminole that you did on Pinehurst, I believe that you would end up with a better course, simply because of the setting. Plus this time of year, the course is closed so you could get stuck into straight away.

RWalker

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Donald Ross,You need to go back to Pinehurst and get Club Corp to demolish the modern addition to the Clubhouse and replace it with a sensitive srtucture. It can be a large building, and the existing southern facing building can remain. If I had my way, I would mimic the veranda of the original structure, but I would not be afraid of building a 4-5 storey building with a great restaurant, and above, luxury suites and various accommodation types. Imagine waking up looking out over the  18th hole of #2, having breakfast, and then going straight to the 1st tee!  

James Clifford

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Sir,I know you were very good and some even say the best. Now that you are back, why don't you come to Australia. I gathered from the Open telecast that sandy soil suited you - well, we have a whole continent of it down here plus thousands of miles of coastlines. Just one and half hours south of Melbourne, there is a great stretch of sandy linksland that will be the next Pinehurst-like golfing centre. Please come - MacKenzie did and you could get even with him for Augusta!

Clark

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Finally!  Great point about the Pinehurst clubhouse.  That is the only thing missing from Pinehurst being the ideal golf experience.  The clubhouse seems straight out of the '70s, when Pinehurst was at its lowest.  However, I would favor a low-profile version.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
The courses that need you the most are the courses furthest from your Pinehurst and Rhode Island offices. Coincidence or not? You tell me.

Doug Wright

Re:I'm back... where do I start?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »
Here's a blast from the GCA.com past. Any thoughts?
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Ryan Crago

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 04:09:13 PM »
The courses that need you the most are the courses furthest from your Pinehurst and Rhode Island offices. Coincidence or not? You tell me.

i dont think i've heard truer words.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 05:04:24 PM »
Mr. Ross, I assume you haven't had the opportunity to watch much golf in person over the last 60 years, so I would suggest you tour the country and watch golfers play. Watch professionals, low handicappers, high handicappers, women and children.

After you have toured the country I suggest you take a side on this "technology is ruining golf" issue. In particuliar the issue of distance. Speak the truth to what is happening to your golf courses. Is it necessary to make wholesale changes? Do your courses need modification to accomadate modern equipment, or are those who are changing your creations fools?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back