News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Let's talk turfgrass!!!
« on: June 13, 2006, 06:38:19 PM »
I was perusing the Powell's bookstore website recently and stumbled across a book for sale:

Beards Turfgrass Encyclopedia: For Golf Courses, Grounds, Lawns, Sports Fields

Described as...

Beard's Turfgrass Encyclopedia is the latest body of work from internationally renowned turfgrass agronomist James Beard. Containing the complete A-to-Z of turfgrass, this quintessential tome encompasses both cultural practice from across a broad range of uses (such as golf courses, lawns, parks, roadsides, and sports fields), as well as the scientific aspects of turfgrasses and their culture (as used by educators, researchers, and scholars). The format provides a comprehensive reference in diagnosing and solving practical problems in the "real world" The range of subjects addressed include the spectrum of grass species and cultivars, ecology, physiology, soils, microenvironments, cultural practices, entomology, pathology, pest management, and equipment. Beard's Turfgrass Encyclopedia is applicable worldwide.

They want $185 for this thing!!!  

I am wondering

1. What is the story with Mr. Beard, has anyone here met him before?  What is his history?  Clubs he has "kept the green" for?  Etc.

2. Is this a book the aspiring gca ought to procure for their library?

3. Do all existing courses out there possess a copy of this encyclopedia?  How valuable is it?

Thanks!

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Craig Sweet

Re:Let's talk turfgrass!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:48:30 PM »
Dr. James Beard is THE MAN!  I bet some Michigan State'ers can set you straight on Beard.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 06:54:25 PM »
Beard has been a professor and guru for as long as I recall in the turf industry.  I have his last version of the book.  Good stuff, but not pleasure reading, more reference stuff.  

I only look at it three times a year when I need something specific, so I can't imagine the typical gca geek being that interested.  Maybe you can find an older copy somewhere at a lesser price.  Not that much has changed in turfgrass management to warrant a hobbyist needing the newest editions.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 07:11:04 PM »
I can't imagine anyone studying turf science who doesn't own one of Beard's editions.  "Turf Management for Golf Courses" was one of the first books I bought after my early exposure to GCA through Cornish and Whitten's book.  As Jeff says;  it is hard to imagine an entry level turf reference book such as Beard's volumes having too much else to say or update.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:13:06 PM »
Dr. Beard is a Turf god! I own several of his books and he spoke several times a semester while I was at MSU-He himself is an encyclopedia of knowledge!

Tony Nysse
MSU 2002
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 08:46:33 PM »
Its on Amazon for as low as $123.94!!!

You may also want to try half.com, which is Ebay's book site.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:53:13 PM by Jonathan McCord »
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back