News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

A freind asks about BallyNeal bunkering...
« on: June 17, 2006, 12:49:03 PM »
I have this friend who used to post here;, many of you know him... he asked me what I think of this centerline bunkering found at BallyNeal.  What do you think?  

Well I think it looks good, they are a fine feature to design into an LZ when there is so much terrain around the feature from undulations, elevation difference, distinctly differing looks at the approach to the green, and widely diverse consequences on which angle you attempt to place your teeball for an approach. The fact that there are two center bunkers at different lengths through the centerline, and different directional orientations as to the high lips from side-on angles, makes it all the more intereresting and bold.

Of course I never actually played the hole, but the look seems unmistakable in its diversity of choices... only that sort of centerline bunkering amidst interesting terrain can present.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

Re:A freind asks about BallyNeal bunkering...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 01:04:41 PM »
There are some choices to be made on that hole, but perhaps not as many as would be suggested by the 100-yard wide fairway.  That was just a function of the right side of the fairway falling away and wanting those balls to stay in play.

The flag shown in the picture is on the left side of the green; when it's right it sits down in a hollow behind the ridge and bunker at the right front.  So, when the flag is right, it pays to drive it left of the centerline bunkers if you can.  [However, longer hitters will still have a semi-blind approach from the left unless they are playing the way-back tee ... the bunker and drop-off are about 240 from the normal back tee on a 430-yard hole, but there is a small tee about 70 yards farther back if you're feeling lucky.]

When the flag is to the left or front left, you can be a bit sloppy with the tee shot out to the right, but the more sloppy you are the longer the approach and the less you can see.

The hole tends to play crosswind ... left-to-right more often in the summer.

Trust me, though, however pretty the bunkers may be, this course is more about the greens and the approaches and the undulations of the fairways.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:06:52 PM by Tom_Doak »

Scott Szabo

Re:A freind asks about BallyNeal bunkering...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 04:56:30 PM »
I would agree with Tom on his statement that the greens and undulating fairways are what Ballyneal is all about.  

Tom, when I visited Ballyneal, Rupert said the green speed would probably be no more than 8 or so.  I would think a little quicker would allow the course to play better and allow the golfer to utilize the humps and bumps to work the ball closer to the hole.  Number seven immediately comes to mind.  What are your thoughts?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back