News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Just 18 Holes?
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:25:16 PM »
I've always been curious how the golfing public or even the treehouse would think of a golf course that was 20 holes or 22 holes.  

Let's say you had a sight that the architect identified 22 holes and none of them greater or worse than anyother.  Do you build all of them?  And if you do how do you settle the scoring.  Best 18 of the 22 you play?

Does the course have to be 18 holes?  I am going to take a guess and say that 80%+ of the rounds played this year at Sebonack will be 19 holes.  

Jordan Wall

Re:Just 18 Holes?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:00:59 AM »
golf is too expensive as it is...

JESII

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:07:33 AM »
Steve,

Let me know if this is an unappreciated hijack and I'll delete and start a thread, but how about if your architect came back and said "I can build 14 world class holes".

I'd like to think any of those scenarios would suit me fine, but it's hard to say without actually having skin in the game.

My one wish in the 20 or 22 hole format would be a good number of opportunities to mix and match the holes so as to come up with smaller versions of the course.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 12:07:44 AM by JES II »

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:13:53 AM »
Steve,
    I wouldn't particularly care how many holes there were, as long as they were good holes. Of course, this is assuming that the pace of play would be reasonable.
    I really doubt that 80% of rounds at Sebonack will go 19 holes. One because it isn't customary, and two because 19 criss-crosses #1. I know the course won't be inundated with golfers, but I just don't see that % happening. I would imagine #19 would end up being a place to work on your short game.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 01:47:56 AM »
Seaton Carew has 22 holes.  They rotate the 18 that are in play based on maintenance schedules.  It's a very good part-Mackenzie mostly links-in the NE of England, which I played with Andy Levett a month or so ago.  I'll be playing there again next Tuesday in an Open.

Scott Coan

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 01:58:22 AM »
I've always dreamed of having a 20 hole course where you could have 2 "warm-up/practice" holes that would go out-and-back to the clubhouse.  They would be optionally played by anyone with the time and need for the warm-up.  Would shave a bunch of strokes of my handicap as I am forever losing shots on my first few holes due to lack of proper warm-up as we have no driving range.

Of course would add to maintenance costs, etc. but we are talking in my perfect world...

JC Urbina

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 10:57:01 AM »
Steve
How about a really good nine hole course that could be played in 90 minutes or less.  Golf takes to long, I hate 5 hour rounds of golf.

redanman

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:20:25 AM »
Jim

Isn't that perhaps the best argument of all for courses that have the land to build another 9 holes - preferably different from the other 18?

5 hour rounds?  That was absolutely the worst thing about Bethpage Red!

And isn't the Melrose at Daufuskie (sp?) 20 or 22 holes?

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 11:30:56 AM »
It's Haig Point on Daufuskie that has some extra holes.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back