News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

King James VI, Perth
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:04:03 PM »
Nancy played a Ladies Open on this interesting island golf course at the weekend. They seem to have little in the way of designer knowledge. Is there any mentions in 'Courses of Tom Morris' or perhaps 'The Parks'??? That appears to be the era-ish.

The drawing style of the plan on their website looks vaguely reminiscent of someone, but I just can't place it.

http://www.kingjamesvi.co.uk/ourhistory.html

Major Brownie points for the FBD if any info from here... ;)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Andrew Mitchell

Re:King James VI, Perth
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
Martin

this website attributes it to OTM as does this one

Does this help?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 01:36:08 PM »
Martin:

The King James VI club has a fascinating history, and has roots to some of the oldest known records of golf being played in Scotland.

Golf took root in Scotland in coastal towns, primarily, in large part because of the wealth that many coastal towns enjoyed via trading with Holland during the 15th and 16th centuries (golf in its earliest days was almost exclusively a pastime of the very wealthy, in part because of its high costs). Records show golf being played in a rudimentary fashion in Perth in the late 1400s and early 1500s. One of its fans was King James IV.

Early golf in Perth was played over the North Inch, still home to the Perth Artisans Golf Club, reputed to be the oldest golf artisans club in the world. Golf clubs (as opposed to courses) often shared common golfing land, and in 1858 the King James VI club (so named after the last king to formally encourage the playing of golf by Scotland's citizenry) formed and began playing on the common grounds of the North Inch. But it became too crowded for the membership, and in 1897 the club moved to Moncrieffe Island.

Robert Kroeger, author the wonderful "Complete Guide to the Golf Courses of Scotland" (from which some of the above is based), credits the Moncrieffe Island course to Old Tom Morris. Kroeger has also written a book on the courses of Old Tom; not sure of its current availability. But he's regarded as something of an expert on Old Tom's courses.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
Thanks Andrew,
looks about right. That was my prime assumption. Just wondered if there might have been a Park input.

I think I may have seen the drawing style in Hamilton's 'Golf-Scotland's Game'. Looks kind of like the 'A.J.Murray' which is there.

Take a look at the hole plans on the website. There's some nice strategic bunkering which had me puzzled, but I guess could easily be OTM.

That nightime pic makes Perth look like Budapest or Prague or something. A FAR cry from the reality... ;)

Phil,
The Kroeger was indeed the one I was thinking about. I must buy it sometime...

FBD.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:54:03 PM »
Arbs,
as the Island is only accessible by a pedestrian bridge, I hae ma doots that OTM would have moved very much muck!!

One of these days, I will stop travelling to far-flung corners of this planet and spend some quality time exploring my REAL golfing HERITAGE... :-[

FBD.

Marty Bonnar

Re: King James VI, Perth
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 05:56:11 AM »
There’s evidence of beaver activity along much of the Tay now. They seem to be doing rather well.
I eventually played KJVI a few years ago. Fun, if a little plain. Think I might have started a thread here.
By coincidence, I finished my career with two years at Perth and Kinross Council, working in the same department which operates the North Inch. Still haven’t played it! I hope to have a much-postponed ‘leaving-do’ sometime soon with my former colleagues, when we might have a round there - before the food and booze!
F.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back