News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

cary lichtenstein

Seaside Course at Sea Island, Ga
« on: May 23, 2006, 06:17:31 PM »
I played this last year 2 times, and again today, and while it is a pretty expensive place to play, I would recommend it, especially if you can get an off season package.

Fazio did a beautiful job of combining 2 separate 9 hole courses, that now play as one 18. I wish I had played here before, and if anyone has and can post his pre and post thoughts, I'd like to hear about it.

We are staying at the Lodge which I think they built about 5 years ago and the accomodations are 5 star. They just redid the rooms at the Cloister, which I guess were pretty run down, we haven't seen the redos.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 03:53:54 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John_Cullum

Re:Seaside Course at Sea Island, Ga
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:57:31 AM »
I will second Cary's recommendation. The Seaside course can really get into a player's head. So many of the shots appear more difficult than they really are. Fazio hid some of the width from view. For example, the tenth hole has some trees  and a ditch to the left and marsh to the right. The tee shot has to carry a ridge across the fairway about 200 yards out and there is an enormous bunker and dune on the right about 290 out. The hole looks narrow from the tee because you can't see where the marsh meets the high ground on the right because of the ridge. The tee shot looks very daunting and good players routinely hit the ball  right into the marsh or hook it left, even though the landing area is about 100 yards wide.

The Retreat course can really grow on you as well. The DL3 group did some great green contours.

The Lodge is the finest hotel I have ever seen. Last year I stayed in one of the new Beach Villas at the Cloister, very nice as well. I give the Lodge 5 stars and the Cloister 4.5. The Sea Island Co. knows how to get it right, Ocean Forest being the exception.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:11:51 AM »
I am not familar with Ocean Forest besides the Walker Cup, John Cullum does not seem to be a big fan. Why would the USGA play the Walker Cup at Ocean Forest if Sea Island is so good?

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 11:46:31 AM »
Who knows why the USGA does what it does. Ocean Forest is not a bad course, more of a great dissapointment because of the great site available which produced a rather ordinary course. I expect Bill Jones (the CEO and principal owner of the Sea Island Co.) perceives Ocean Forest as the crown jewel of Sea Island, and I am confident Bill Jones is well connected to guys in the USGA hierarchy, and that is probably how they came to hold the Walker Cup at Ocean Forest.

The USGA has used Seaside for several championships in the last few years. And I believe it has been well received. Seaside also holds the SEC championship.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 11:48:56 AM by John Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:59:06 AM »
Members at Ocean Forest include high ranking members of the R&A and USGA.  Also, Seaside has been used quite a bit by the USGA as well.

Cary's comment about the golf being expensive isn't full disclosure.  Rooms at the Lodge are pricey.  The golf is a little high, but a full package of golf, rooms, etc... is a big ticket for reasons that go beyond golf.

One intersting thing about Seaside is that a lot of holes are about 410 yards and play shorter or longer due to wind.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 04:03:25 PM »
Cary

Did you play or see Frederica while you were at Sea Island?

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 05:21:23 PM »
You have to buy a lot between $2-6 million or know a member. I was hoping that you might buy a lot and take me as your guest ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back