News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Divided Greens
« on: May 04, 2006, 04:39:58 AM »
On the Lancaster CC thread the 12th looks like it could be a  green divided by water (though I don't think this is the case).  Has anybody seen a green divided by a stream?  I can easily imagine that 12th hole with a bit bigger front green and a bunker in front as a green for a par 3.  Is this crazy talk or would a hole like this be fun?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Paul_Daley

Re:Divided Greens
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 08:32:52 AM »
Sean:

Two well-known designers, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, have designed such a beast. You'll recall the same development was supervised by Barry Gibb: Islands in the Stream.   :D

Jim Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »
Sean
In his book "Golf Course Architecture", Michael Hurdzan shows a picture of the 18th green(s) at Glenmaura National in Pennsylvania.
There are two greens, one on each side of a small stream.

JJ

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:50:09 PM »
Jack Nicklaus did a green split by a creek back in the late 1980's at The Country Club of The South, in the Atlanta suburbs.

We featured a picture of it in an article I wrote for GOLF Magazine soon thereafter, entitled "Goofy Golf".  Jack wasn't the only one I picked on, though.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »
count me in those who see it as goofy Sean

I would love to see a picture...as well as the other courses Tom D listed in his Goofy golf article
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 03:45:12 PM »
Sean -isn't the obvious problem what the golfer is to do if his ball lands on the wrong side of the divide?  Do you really want people pitching off of putting surfaces?

Seems to me an idea with one potential positive (unique) and one for sure negative (maintenance).

Now if you offered a little landbridge contoured so that putts could be hit over it and to most parts of the other side of the divide....

Nah.  That's really pushing the bounds of goofiness.

;D ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 04:02:24 PM »
Sean - I suppose I'm ok with it in the very odd instance... But this divided green would seem to be screaming out for it to happen all the time.  I see a maintenance nightmare, as typically grass on putting greens does not grow back that quickly... does it?

TH

PjW

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 04:43:21 PM »
Tom

The split green at CC of the South was actually done in 1986 and was a unigue challenge to build.  Jack has always been a progressive in trying to bring different design aspects into a project.  Some work better than others.  I personnally liked this one and thought it worked out.  Divots are cut out wilth a cup cutter and replaced from a nursery green.

8)Phil

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 04:45:31 PM »
Phil - I still see that as a maintenance nightmare.  And this course (or hole) keeps being spoken of in the past tense... is it gone now?

TH

PjW

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 04:49:05 PM »
Tom

It is still there.  Past tense is probably due to my being gone!  I was the Grow-in Supt/CM on that project. 8)

Phil

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 04:50:14 PM »
Phil - cool - I'd love to see it.  Maybe it does work.  It certainly must be unique.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back