News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Gleneagles at Equinox
« on: April 27, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »
I understand this is a Travis designed course. Anyone familiar with it? Has it undergone a restoration?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

HamiltonBHearst

Re:Gleneagles at Equinox
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »

Rees Jones if I remember early 1990's.  My area Manchester club is also Travis and has done a much better job in honoring him.

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 12:50:49 PM »
Lovely histroic town, very New England setting for hotel and golf course. Elegant Travis routing uodated by Rees Jones in 1991-92. A little too much Rees Pieces mounding but still a wonderful, walkable place, wth the back nine esp. engaging as a walk.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 02:16:57 PM »
More renovation than restoration? Will you learn much about Travis from visiting?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 02:48:03 PM »
It's Travis' routing at Equinox. You also have the advantage of Travis' Ekwanok GC literally right next door - pure routing, restored by Doak and Hepner.

Rees' work is pretty good, certainly tremendosuly improved from what was there immediately before. The two courses are worth seeing and judging for yourself.

corey miller

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 04:18:24 PM »

Rees Jones-Equinox
Doak-Ekwanok, Garden City
Dye-Westchester, Round hill

Anyone else?  Any idea who does the best job in restoring/renovating Travis?  Has anyone seen them all and can they comment?

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »

Rees,Doak,Dye and you ask who the best is? you must be joking.

SPDB

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 11:42:53 PM »
Corey:

What about our own Ian Andrew. I have yet to see any of his work, but he seems to know as much about Travis designs as anybody.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 11:46:49 PM »
Travis did Equinox? I knew he did Ekwanok....hmmmm.

I have played both and prefer Ekwanok...though Equinox, pre 1980 wasn't bad.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 09:35:41 AM »
I think that the Equinox course, despite the Rees-ification, still embodies the "Travis-feel" that was intended.  There are several fun aspects of the course that would predate Rees, such as the par five played over the road (the road is in a small valley 20 ft below the fairway), the "crater hole," where the green is on a hill that appears to have half washed away, and the short little par 3 that follows it.

I was initially surprised at the similarities in routing, with the opening holes spread out on the gently sloping hillside below the clubhouse, the 90-degree perpendicular turn both of the front nines, a few hills around the edges...etc.., but they are on adjacent land, so its really no surprise they are similar.  Ekwanok is no doubt a more pure test of more pure Travis, but Equinox is a fun layout as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:01:48 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back