News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re:The ugliest great course is...or..the best fishing course is...
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2006, 02:06:29 PM »
Adam:

Interesting pick of Southern Dunes.  I had a nice day there but didn't think it amounted to BEST or really all that UGLY.  I'm curious what you thought was so ugly and what holes stood out to you design wise.

(interestingly...or not...I watched a 50 y/o lady shoot 36 on the front with three birdies there...that was strange)...

Paul T:  I'm really interested in playing Lytham while over for the Buda Cup.  Why does everyone else hate Lytham so much?  It looks prettier and more interesting than both Hoylake and Birkdale?

Michael Moore

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2006, 02:22:26 PM »
Here is a map of the ninth hole at the Garden City Golf Club.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2006, 02:44:45 PM »
Are the greens at garden city as flat as they look in the pictures?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2006, 05:55:27 PM »
Here is a map of the ninth hole at the Garden City Golf Club.

Thank you Michael..I would call that an Ellen Barkin hole...perfectly ugly..

Dan Moore

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2006, 10:24:22 AM »
I don't see anything ugly about Garden City, in fact in my opinion the pictures make it look fascinating.

Southern Dunes is marred by the surrounding housing but the bunkering and elevation change in that part of Florida overcomes it.  I thought 7 was excellent and the stretch 11, 12 and 13 was too.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2006, 12:20:08 PM »
Are the greens at garden city as flat as they look in the pictures?

Ryan,

Take another look at the pictures and get back to us.

Michael Moore,

That's a nice sketch of the hole from an aerial perspective.

Unfortunately it doesn't show the severe drop off on the right side of the fairway, down into the lower bunker, knolls and high fescue grass, from which the green and fairway are not visible, nor does it show the need for carry on the drive if you're going to hit it to the right side of the fairway.

Jaka B,

You can tell that from a sketch ?

Michael Moore

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2006, 04:46:58 PM »
Pat -

That's not a sketch and there is nothing unfortunate about it. That's the latest and greatest orthophotography combined with elegant notations based on fifteen years of studying information design. Wouldn't you be proud to hand your guests a yardage book like that?

The Garden City Golf Club will be receiving a pitch this summer.  I will be in touch as this occurs . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back