News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Re: Opinions sought on 18th holes...
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
Hello,

"Rather than thinking about 18 as a single hole I like to think of it in the context of the finishing three or four holes.  How does it fit within these holes?...has good balance and when I play them in even par or one over I feel good. "

I'm glad this was mentioned..."balance"... that was perhaps part of the original invitation to weigh in that I didn't voice as loudly. How much does an 18th hole have to shoulder, to preserve the character of balance in a course? Because it always concludes whatever type of segment you feel in the course...last 3 holes, last 6 holes, last 9 holes, the whole 18... doesn't it have to account--more than any other hole--for what comes before it, at least to some degree?

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Paul Gray

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 06:57:49 PM »
The convention of the short/mid length par 4, for me at least, remains a convention worth keeping. There are many good ones but a particularly favourite of mine is the somewhat original 18th at Camberley Heath.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:50:11 AM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »
VKmetz,

Many like very difficult par 4's, but, think about the 18th in the context of two members, all even in a match, coming to the 18th tee.

Do you really want a hole where neither of them can make a par unless they hit a great 3rd shot or sink a long putt.

Do you really want a hole where par is beyond their ability and birdie is not even a fantasy ?

I happen to love Knollwood's finishing hole, although, it might not be a shining example of the above.

Some holes seem excessively difficult.

Do we really want to cultivate a culture of a punishing finishing hole ?

Or, do you prefer the finishing holes at Sebonack and NGLA ?

I like the finishing holes at Shinnecock, Southampton and Westhampton as I think they give most members a fighting chance.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
PM,

Especially after seeing some comments, I'm inclined to agree with your insinuation.

And certainly, Knollwood 18 is NOT a shining example. I have played and caddied it 40-50 times and its my opinion that it is the single toughest finisher in Westchester, maybe the Met. It's one of the hardest "4"s under 460 yards anywhere. I have seen many, many pars and some birdies on the 18th on WFW, Hudson National, etc.

One of the better finishers I've seen (if we're talking holes 280 - 460 yds in length), that fits many of the characteristics I see people extolling here, is Apawamis. A lot of charm, visual interest and solvable for a great population of golfers.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back