News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Mines GC in Grand Rapids, MI
« on: April 30, 2005, 05:21:05 PM »
I must not want to do anything but sit in my recliner and do computer work. I think it has to do with my being on the business end of a shovel, doing some green and bunker face repairs at the Mines earlier today.

It's a bit premature, and these pictures aren't the best due to weather and other factors, but I thought y'all might want to see what DeVries was doing last summer and this spring. All of these picture were taken last fall. The amount of grass on the course now is vastly different.

2nd hole before grass

2nd hole after grass

Par 3 8th The turf will start on the upslope right before the green. The rest of the hole will be rugged, sort of Pine Valleyesque.

11th, par 3 from the west orientation. Also has a southern set of tees from a different yardage.

14th, par 4 from the landing area. Semi blind approach to an at-grade green. Thats the super applying some fungicide in anticipation of winter.

15th, par 3…plays about 130 yds. Better be in full(spin) control on this one.

back to the 2nd the day of seeding…from the tee

16th, par 4…from the tee…..left bunker is dead center of fwy

17th, par 5……second half of hole…great green setting!

Thanks to George Pazin for his assistance in getting these pictures posted.

Once we get some warmer air here, the grass will go nuts and really fill in. I hope someone more talented than I can get out here to take some quality pictures.....that's a hint to Ralph Livingston!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 02:14:02 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ken Fry

Re:Mines GC in Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 05:52:58 PM »
Joe,

Great to see grass on the place.  Can't wait to get back up to Grand Rapids to take a shot at playing it!

Ken

David Sneddon

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 07:29:09 PM »
Joe:

When do you plan on opening??
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 07:37:41 PM »
David,

The tentative opening date is July 5th. I would say that's a bit optimistic, but entirely weather dependant at this point.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 08:11:34 PM »
That really looks nice, Joe.  My kind of place.  I especially like the appearance of the few strategic bunkers.

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 08:20:54 PM »
look forward to playing it Joe!!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Sneddon

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 10:35:35 PM »
David,

The tentative opening date is July 5th. I would say that's a bit optimistic, but entirely weather dependant at this point.

Joe

My wife is from Muskegon and we usually get over there once  a year in the summer.   I'll make it a point to drop by,  looks like it will be well worth the visit.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 01:05:19 AM »
   Mr. Hancock, The course is really looking good, and those are from last fall?!?!?!  WOW :o  Can't wait to get a group of guys down from Ferris and come visit.  Hopefully they will appreciate the architecture as much as all of us will.  I will make a point on giving them a little crash course in golf course architecture before we go.  Hope grow-in continues to go well, and can't wait to see the course in person.  I think you and Mr. DeVries have something special there.
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 10:13:45 AM »
Joe,

Thanks for posting the pictures.  Hopefully, we can get some more out in the near future, right, Ralph?  ;D

Mike

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 02:27:10 PM »
Joe/Mike
Looks like a trip to GR is in order.
Care to share the grassing plan?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 04:11:06 PM »
Don,

We grassed the greens and tees with L93 bentgrass. The fairways and roughs are a bluegrass/ fine fescue combination. The bluegrass varieties in particular were chosen with short mowing adaptablity in mind. The fairways and approaches will end up being mowed at 1/2 inch, with the roughs being around 1 1/4 inch. The fairways will be very generous, amounting to perhaps 45 acres.

We seeded outer roughs with fine fescues and some little bluestem.These areas are unirrigated and unfertilized.

Currently we are completing a par 3 course at the Mines....the course will be called the Miners course. The only thing we will do different on the Miners course is seed the tees with something besides bentgrass. We think the divot recovery time of bent or any other grass won't keep up without overseeding. We are looking at a blue/ fescue mix, but we may incorporate some ryegrass into the mix. The Miners course sits on a 27 acre parcel, and will have holes ranging from 80 yards to 230 yards. It's going to be a lot of fun!

Joe

Jfaspen

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 04:12:50 PM »
Joe, can't wait to see the finished product of the 18 and the par 3.

Us Michiganders should set a date in August or Sept to drive in and check it out!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 02:14:45 PM »
Bumping, due to three more pictures being posted.

Thanks!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »
Mike / Joe:

That really looks like excellent work.  No wonder I can't get any calls from within 500 miles of home!

I hope to have a chance to stop through on a visit to Lost Dunes sometime this spring or summer (if I can find time to get there).

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 05:10:01 PM »
It's kind of interesting - in their condition state in some of the photos, the bunkers look like the old courses in the UK that Paul Turner posts. Will they be maintained like that?

Add Mike D to the list of designers I wish would help us out with the public scene in Pittsburgh. (And the list of designers I'd like to have a beer with.)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 05:27:56 PM »
I love the simple look of the course, guys.

Man, southwest Michigan is slowly becoming the "DeVries Trail". What a wonderful 3 day trip The Mines, Diamond Springs, and Pilgrim's Run will make.

And, affordable too!
jeffmingay.com

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 01:00:04 AM »
Sorry guys, I have been MIA with "real" work. First time back here in two weeks. :o :'( Gotta make a buck.
Will get out with the new camera around the first of June. All the foliage should be completely in by then......

How's the par 3 course doing???????
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 01:38:34 AM »
Joe, Kudos on what looks like another bang up job.
Can you describe how working on this course compared to working on Greywalls?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back