News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tim Pitner

Procedural Question re Ireland and Scotland
« on: March 31, 2006, 05:47:32 PM »
I have more golf trips planned that I have time to take.  For example, I have a trip to Ireland planned that would start in Dublin, head north toward the Causeway Coast, go down to Sligo and then end in Lahinch.  I also have a trip planned to the Scottish Highlands, including Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen.  If I can't recruit friends to join me, I may consider what my wife would consider the extreme step of going myself.  So, my question is this:  would I be able to reserve advance tee times at most Irish and Scottish courses as a single?  Months in advance?  Are there any courses where getting on as a single itself would be problematic?

Tom Huckaby

Re:Procedural Question re Ireland and Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 05:52:27 PM »
Tim - if you want company and make that fact known on here, you won't be a single for long in many parts of Scotland or Ireland.  For example on your Ireland swing I'd be happy to set you up with my cousin, who owns a B&B in Castlerock, right near Portrush/Portstewart.  He's a member at a great club there called Castlerock GC and just say the word that the royal treatment is yours.  Rich Goodale lives in Aberdour, somewhat near Edinburgh, and surely would meet up with you near there, his schedule permitting.  The list of additional contacts in both places is long.   ;D

But to answer your question, I believe most clubs do have some reticence to booking singles way in advance - what they will do is set you up to play with other members if it can be done - and of course that would be great fun.  Ed Getka would be a great source for this - he's done exactly what you are contemplating.  Others have also.  In any case, the key is to just call/write and ask.

TH

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks Tom, for your offer and your reply to my lonely post.  

peter_p

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:57:15 PM »
I have never had any problems with Scottish, Welsh and English courses accepting a reservation for a single player, except for The Old Course. (Rusacks set up a time, tho, without me even asking). I usually say that they are free to pair me with anyone and give my handicap.

michael j fay

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 08:14:26 PM »
In Ireland the only places where you might have a problem catching on as a single are Portmonarck and Royal County Down but even at these venues if you explain your circumstances to the Secretary they will accomdate you.

There are some real advantages to traveling alone:

-Two and a half hour rounds as a single with the first time of the day.
-Replays if the course is to your liking.
-Inexpensive B&B's as you go.
-No snoring to contend with.
-Emergency rounds at 4:00 AM
-Emergency rounds at 8:00 PM
-Moving at your own pace through the coastline and seeing the sights you want to see.

If you hook up with the local Irish to play, you will have a ball.

Have a great trip.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 09:40:44 PM »
Tim -

One of the greatest weeks of my life was a week spent almost 22 years ago, traveling by myself & playing golf around Ireland. As I recall, I don't think I booked any tee-times in advance. I simply showed up (at many of the courses you intend to play) and asked if I could play. There was rarely a problem.  But that was well before Ireland was "discovered" as a golfing destination.

One thing to be aware of is that many clubs in GB&I reserve the 1st tee for their members from 9am to 10am and then from 11am to 1pm. In most cases, they will not let visitors tee off in those times, even if the 1st tee has been empty for 30 minutes or more.

In addition, tee-times can frequently been taken by the members for league matches or inter-/intra-club tournaments and events.

As noted above, your best bet as a single is to get there early. In my experience, if you get to a golf course in GB&I by 7:30am, you will be the 1st or 2nd car in the parking lot most mornings. At St. Endoc in England, I paid my green fee in the afternoon to tee off at 7:30am the next morning, because the pro shop did not even open until 8:00am.

Finally, some clubs (Royal Dornoch, for one) only permit 1- or 2-ball golf games before 9:00am most mornings. This is done to keep the pace of play moving along at the start of the day.

Have a great trip(s)!

DT  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back