News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

North Wales G.C. New
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:28:32 PM »
North Wales is one of those courses that is difficult to get a handle on because there are a handful of holes on less than ideal ground which greatly detract from the overall experience.  Yet, there are a handful of holes which are sublime and worth the price of admission.  I have only included most of the very good holes for this tour.  

The punchbowl green of the 8th.  A good 375ish par 4 with a blind tee shot and a blind second.

The lovely 9th.  Another 375ish par 4 curving left along the beach.

The 10th is one of the best holes on the course.  It curves with the beach on the left and there is a cool falloff on the right kicking drives into the rough.

Another good one-shotter.  Hades (#13) has an interesting story.  Apparently the land was bought from the local parish.  The vicar took exception to the club naming the hole Hades.  The club wouldn't back down, but they named 18 Paradise!

The 15th is a driveable par 4, but one can easily see the danger of not hitting a very accurate drive in the neck close to the green.

Introducing O.L & L.O.  Two par 3s which are one the very best examples of crossing holes.  

#16 or O.L.'s green rests below the golfers and to the right.  Incidentally, those golfers are on L.O.'s tee.

From behind O.L.

#17 or L.O.  A superb example of a shelf green.

Much like Porthmadog, in the end, I don't spose I could recommend North Wales despite having a lot of time for the course.  However, if you are in this neck of the woods and can't get on Conwy, by all means give North Wales a call.  It just may surprise you.  

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:25:46 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:More North Wales G.C. pix
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:33:51 PM »
Sean,  Great photos in that you have got the whole spirit of the place in a very few images.  We can argue over this hole or that, this green or that, but whjat you have captured is the sporting nature of the course and what a joy it is to play despite its apparent lack of length.  North Wales is full of such treasures and I hope Open Championship visitors will make the effort to find this out and also Buda Cup competitors before they leave our shores.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 07:44:08 PM »
I think Welsh golf has to be viewed in a slightly different spirit to that of other parts of the UK.  

With the exception of Porthcawl, and to a lesser extent Southerndown, I don't feel the ones I've played are 'stand outs', but rather more rugged courses that have a lot of intrigue if you care to look.

Would this be accurate?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 10:32:08 AM »
North Wales has some of the most interesting holes I have ever played.  this is especially tru of the two par threes at the end of the round.  My first time around I was captivated by the finishing holes.  I also had never seen a sign painted on the ground that read "Beware of rabbit holes!"
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 05:38:46 PM »
Sean,

Alas, I have not yet seen Pennard.

That's the problem with golf in the UK.  

There's too much to see, and Wales is a lovely place to just meander around.

Is Aberdovey worth a look see?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 08:20:54 PM »
Sean / Mark:

I enjoy Pennard but have to say the opening quarter at Tenby is without question some of the best holes you can play anywhere in the UK. Talk about a demanding start !!!

I mean how good is the par-4 3rd -- has to be one of the best under 400-yard holes I have played anywhere -- what a delicious green !!!

Too bad the rest of the course didn't keep up the early pace of the first four.

Put the first four at Tenby with the back nine at Pyle & Kenfig and you would have a superior course. Wishful thinking on my part though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back