News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Thoughts on a Golf Trip to N.C. (& Va)...
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:39:58 PM »
Just got back from a spring break trip to the North Carolina area, including a day in Virginia, with fellow GCA'er Dave Neveux.

This trip was our 2nd annual spring break golf trip driving down south (we're both from Michigan).  However, this trip was just a mellow 8 courses in 7 days (10 rounds total) to N.C. and one day in Virginia {compared to a trip last summer in which we drove out west (far as Bandon) from MI and played 17 courses in 16 days throughout the entire U.S.}.

Below is a list of the courses and my thoughts...Dave may have some different ideas on each.

TANGLEWOOD PARK - CHAMPIONSHIP (Winston-Salem, NC):
2nd time in which we've opened our season with this course. It is even better the 2nd time as we played 36.  I think this course is one of the best styles of traditional country club courses i've seen or played.  I don't understand how it doesn't get listed with other popular RTJ courses like Hazeltine.  In my mind Tanglewood Park is as good or better than similar types of courses like Hazeltine and Oakland Hills.  In my personal rankings only Olympia Fields ranks higher (based on the same style of course).  The bunkers at Tanglewood are it's signature.  They flow with the layout of the holes and are almost hidden at times on certain angles into an approach, but when you get up there you see how deep and intimidating there are.  The price to play is unbeleivable too, $40.  How this course doesn't get more pub. and respect is beyond me.
***TRIP RANK #2***

SOUTHERN PINES (Southern Pines, NC):
Great course, played very difficult I thought for such a short course from the back tees.  Only major drawback were the greens were airated and top dressed beyond belief.   Great price and the best $2 hot dog I've ever had at the turn.  I want to play this course when it is green.  I felt liek I could have lit a match and the whole course would have gone up in ten seconds being so dry.
***TRIP RANK #6***

PINE NEEDLES (N.C.):
Favorite course of the trip.  Played it from the back tees, which I thought was very challenging.  In my personnal rankings this goes ahead of a list of courses (being similar in style) like Oakland Hills, Olympia Fields, Hazeltine, Tanglewood.  In fact a friend of mine who is a member at Oakland said this was his favorite course he's ever played, better then the Deuce even.  I absolutely loved the course, the contouring of the bunkers, the integration of all the clumped grasses and the greens were a treat.  I love putting from off the green and I did plenty of that on this course.
***TRIP RANK #1***

MID PINES (N.C.):
Some guy in the parking lot tried telling me that this course was the best in the Pinehurst area.  Frankly I would have rather played Pine Needles again rather than this course.  But, it was a very good course...a little rough maintenance wise.  The entire time I was playing it I always felt like I was playing Pine Needles' little brother.  I felt the holes at Mid Pines were very straight forward and not as much of a challening layout as Pine Needles.
***TRIP RANK #5***

TOBACCO ROAD (N.C.):
As Dave said, "It's like World Woods - Pine Barrons on steroids".  Glad we took everyone's advice and played it twice.  Very challening and unique layout.  Not sure if I would want this course as my home courese but i would love to played it once a month or so.  Never felt relaxed over any shot as you are always laying up to something or judging the distance to clear another area.  Not the best course to play if you are impaired or coming off a night from being impaired as we all were because you've got to really think a lot out there.  All in all, great course and I liked it better then similar tracks such as WW-Pine Barrons and Forest Dunes (Roscommon, MI)
***TRIP RANK #4***

DUKE UNIVERSITY G.C. (N.C.):
Wasn't overly impressed.  Felt like a Reese Jones the entire time.  While it was a good course I still like Forest Akers-West much better as a college course (Michigan State's home course).  They were airating the day we were there which is very annoying.  Good course but nothing overly spectacular about it.
***TRIP RANK #7***

HERITAGE GOLF CLUB (Wake Forest, NC):
Good course but nothing that I would drive a long way to play.  If you're in the area it is a good track.  #18 is a very rewarding/risky par 5 that is a solid finishing hole.
***TRIP RANK #8***

TRADITION CLUB AT ROYAL NEW KENT (Virginia):
Loved the layout...except not really a walking course with too much distance between holes.  Felt similar to Bandon Trails.  Solid course though, would like'd to have played it when all the grass and heather was grown in and not all cut down.  Liked this better then Tobacco Road because it was less of a mind f***.
***TRIP RANK #3***

It was a great relaxing trip and we had a great time on and off the course.  Loved the night life in Chapel Hill (Frankline Street)...we stayed there 3 nights.  Southern Pines was pretty dead at night so we had to make due.

TRIP SUMMARY (ranked in order):
#1 - Pine Needles
#2 - Tanglewood Park (Championship)
#3 - Tradition Club at Royal New Kent
#4 - Tobacco Road
#5 - Mid Pines
#6 - Southern Pines
#7 - Duke University G.C.
#8 - Heritage Golf Club

Would love to hear any thoughts/comments.

-Brian

ed_getka

Re:Thoughts on a Golf Trip to N.C. (& Va)...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:01:33 PM »
Brian,
   Sounds like a fun trip. Wish I was young again. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David Neveux

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 08:08:37 PM »
Tanglewood Park (trip rank 3)
We have now played this track three times, and I must say this is one great golf course.  There is a great variation of holes and challenges every part of ones game.  The wild bunkering is very pleasing on the eye and if ones sand game isn't in shape on the first tee, it will be bye the end of the round.  Some holes that I personally enjoy immensely are number 1, 9, 10, 17 and 18.

Here is a shot on number one green.

Here is the par 3 second from tee

Here is a shot of the approach to the par 5 17th

The approach to the long par 4 9th

David Neveux

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 08:21:53 PM »
Southern Pines Elk Club (trip rank 6)
This short Donald Ross design was a real treat.  Other than the extremely dry conditions and the freshly aerated greens this course was a lot of fun at an outstanding value.  I personally felt it played a lot longer than 6200 yrds.  I wish all of the fairways had been overseeded, but like I said a very enjoyable round.  The breakfast in the clubhouse and hot dog at the turn were an added bonus.  

6th from the tee

I believe this is number 14 par 3

Here is the tee shot on the 340 yrd 18th

David Neveux

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:33:57 PM »
Pine Needles (trip rank 1)
Wow, what a golf course.  Beautiful layout, very charming.  Although my head felt a little light on outward nine, I was able to muster up a solid c - game and win the match.  I really enjoyed the bunkering and the greens.  My putting struggled a bit here.  I really wish we would have played another round here, I cannot wait to get another shot at it.  

Here are a couple photos; forgive me if i cant remember the number.

Par 3 ?

Greenside bunker ?

Par 3 5th??

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 08:34:01 PM »
Brian or David,

Have you played the Reynolds Course at Tanglewood Park? Is it any good?

I'm starting to think this might be the best deal in golf. The Web site says on Monday – Friday it is $36 with cart for the championship course, $25 with cart for the Reynolds Course, and $6 for the 18-hole par 3 course.

Wow.

David Neveux

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 08:37:42 PM »
Dan,

We haven't played the reynolds course but everytime we are there we wish we had.  I think its quite a bit shorter but from the holes I have seen looks like a very interesting course.  The bunkers look like they are a deep orangish reddish color and if its as easy as a walk as the championship course I can't think of two better deals.  If you ever give it a go be sure and let me know what you think.  

D.P.N

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back