News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Did you see last weeks LOST episode?
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:21:25 PM »
Just to prove that you NEVER can tell...

Okay, not exactly last weeks, but there was an episode of the show which did in fact involve some Golf Course Architecture.
The episode was called 'Solitary', in which the Hurley character constructed a 2-Hole course in a jungle clearing after finding a set of clubs in the wreckage. As I recall, he made some CHOICES about sites for GREENS and TEES and so on, based on length, direction and degree of difficulty. Was Hurley therefore by definition, an Architect?

SERIOUS GCA Points:-
When does a golf course actually BECOME a golf course?
What makes for a golf course as opposed to it being simply somewhere to hit golf balls?
Is it something deeper than simply open ground and a hole?
Can it only be considered a golf course after a certain event or time or whatever?
Does forming 2 holes in a jungle clearing count as a golf course?
Does creating a tee, a green and a fairway constitute a golf course?
Or does it need a return Hole too?
Is a golf course actually MORE than a place to play golf?
Should a golf course only be considered as such only when it affects us spiritually or intellectually?

...and they say TV rots the mind.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Eric Franzen

Re:Did you see last weeks LOST episode?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 03:25:05 PM »
Hurley proved to be a true minimalist.
No earth moving at all.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 03:28:03 PM »
Martin - you likely know this (or maybe not) but the episode aired here in the US last week was the pilot.  I didn't watch it because repeats piss me off... although I am a devoted fan of the show and have not missed a single second of an original episode since the show began.

In any case, that was a cool one when they decide to play golf.  Later in the series, a very key development occurs as Kate challenges Jack to a golf match... and this is precipitated by a neat discussion on what golf is all about, Kate favoring power and Jack arguing for accuracy.

In any case, hell yes Hurley is an architect, and that is most definitely a golf course!

TH

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 03:41:59 PM »

a neat discussion on what golf is all about, Kate favoring power and Jack arguing for accuracy.

TH

The scriptwriters are clearly lurking at a well-known golf architecture web discussion group. ;)

The show recently finished series 1 here in the UK. While I enjoyed much of the symbolism, the scripts and the 'back-story' ideas, I did get a tad tired with the weekly unveiling of yet another 'secret'. Also, the guys beards don't seem to have grown and the women's hair is too perfect!

FBD.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 03:45:46 PM »
FBD - if you think it's bad in season 1, wait till you get a load of season 2.  Lots more questions, precious few answers.

And yes, funny how beards remain the same, hair never grows except for Sawyer, and women don't seem to need the typical feminine hygeine products.

;)

In any case, so as not to rouse the ire of the O/T police, it is very interesting that they decided to spend time playing the game, and that they found a place to map out a little course.  If deserted on an island with some golf equipment, isn't that what all of us would do?  Funny also no other sports or recreation seems to be mentioned... backgammon and chess from time to time, but that's it.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 03:51:04 PM »
If deserted on an island with some golf equipment, isn't that what all of us would do?

Aarrgghh!!!
I just had the most horrible vision of a plane-load of GCAers returning from maybe a trip to Barnbougle, crashing on a deserted South Pacific island. We all have our golf clubs from the trip and naturally, find some perfect land on which to lay out a golf course.
Kee-rist! Lord of the Flies wouldn't have a look-in!!!!
Gimme the Conch , Dammit!

FBD. :o

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 03:53:45 PM »
If deserted on an island with some golf equipment, isn't that what all of us would do?

Aarrgghh!!!
I just had the most horrible vision of a plane-load of GCAers returning from maybe a trip to Barnbougle, crashing on a deserted South Pacific island. We all have our golf clubs from the trip and naturally, find some perfect land on which to lay out a golf course.

FBD. :o

;D ;D ;D
That did elicit most definite audible yuks... the mind races at the battles that would be fought.

;D ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 04:21:47 PM »

The 'perfect of the congregation for the doctrine on golf course architecture' is on to your heretical devices.  You are hereby summoned to the seat of the royal and ancient - starters shack at the old course, to answer for your attempts to bring heretical notions through asking devious rhetorical questions suggesting that anything but a course of standard holes, hazards played by a community or company of honorable men, properly rated for handicap and slope may substitute for the true and faithful inclusion and renaming of any common ground as sacred ground other than that prescribed as a golf course in the rules of golf, so promulgated by the duly authorized R&A and USGA.

Fail not or at your peril to answer this inquisition of your motivations at such rhetorical devices or suffer the painsof the wrack and fires, and excommunitcations from the order of GCA.com community of the faithful.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:29:03 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 04:23:52 PM »
I am absolutely positive that the best golf courses, like the best golf clubs are products of benign dictatorships. ;)

Design by committee is usually the worst kind.

FBD.

PS Uncle Dick, like a great Romulan battle-cruiser and a Klingon bird of prey, we passed in cyberspace. Nice one!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 04:25:46 PM by Martin Bonnar »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 04:26:59 PM »
PPS Just testing my 950-Post theory on YaBB-godness...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 04:27:15 PM »
Bugger!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 04:27:32 PM »
Hurrah!

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 04:34:08 PM »

Lord of the Flies or Broback Island?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »
This maybe post of the year, and I don't even watch Lost, although I've been accused of being lost way too many times in my life!

As creative as a post can get Martin! Way to go!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 04:37:25 PM by Thomas Naccarato »

Ron Farris

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 04:59:27 PM »
Was Hurley a Golf Course Architect?  I say no unless he plans to be sued by some landscape architect group for using the word ARCHITECT.   The LA group are very sensitve toward t use of the word architect.  He was a designer of a golf course.  He did not apprentice under an architect or have a degree or license to architect.  Did any lawyers survive he crash? Was the masterpiece designed by Hurley or was it actully built by THEM?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »
To take a stab at answering FBD's question, I'd say you can call it a golf course if you can go out and back -- even if it's on the same fairway. One fairway, a green at either end along with two little teeing areas, and voila - Jungle Link(s)!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 06:43:43 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »
The GCA group crash could be kind of fun.  I would think you guys would design something that minimizes lost balls alla Mackenzie.  (Since you would have a finite amount from the wreckage).  And when those disappear, you could start fabricating your own balls form feathers, or coconuts, or whatever was handy.  I'm sure someone would be traveling with a GCA book and historical book for reference.  :)

Sean Walsh

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 03:20:36 AM »
FBD,

Your mind works in weird and wonderful ways.  I look forward to meeting you.  

By the Way.  It is a golf course.  

And also on the return flight from Barnboulge we'd be unlikely to find ourselves on a South Pacific Island.  We may however find ourselves on Kangaroo or King Islands.  Any of the Australians know if there's any good ground on these two (Inhabited, Dammit) islands.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »
Boys,
I do hope EVERYONE realised that this thread was meant as a reply to a direct quote from PAGE 4 of a thread that was meant to be about OT subjects (and not one of my normal incoherent gibberings of little value... ;))

FBD.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
No offense, but if I crashed on an unknown island with GCA'ers I'd find the first vine I came across, wrap it around my neck, and jump from the highest tree. ;D

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

John Goodman

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 05:46:28 PM »
This has been done before of course.  Season 1, episode 13 (Decmeber 1964) of Gilligan's Island (entitled "Three Million Dollars More or Less") has Gilligan laying out a course, and taking $3M off of Thurston Howell III in a Scotch game.  (Actually more like a double-or-nothing thing that starts at a quater a hole).  I can't remember whether they used clam shells tied to bamboo poles for clubs, or whether they had Thurston's set:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back