News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

O/T -shameless plug - My Dad's book is finally available
« on: March 01, 2006, 10:57:46 AM »
Can't find Ran to ask if this is ok, but if he wants to delete it, I will not be offended.

But I am bursting with pride.

My Dad spent a long career as an English teacher, enriching the lives of countless high schoolers in Canyon Country, CA.  He was really good at it, and it was a good life for him, as much as he complained about it and never reaped any financial rewards.

But his real love is writing.

He had a textbook published long ago, but that gave him no real joy.

He's worked on a novel for as long as I can remember.

And now, at long last, after countless rejections, blows to the ego, writes and re-writes, formulations and reformulations, one of his is out there and available for purchase.

I am really, really proud of him, and happy for him.

This book is a prequel for a novel he did which is a semi-autobiographical story of our famly... but don't let that dissuade you... it's a really good book!

In any case, here's the shameless plug.  No, my Dad's not gonna get rich on this, that's not the point.  It just would be cool if the book does get read.  This from my Dad this morning:

At long last, my novel, "Los Inocentes: The Wondrous History of the Home of the Radiants," is available. The easiest and least expensive way to obtain a copy is to do the following:
(1) Using the internet, search on http://HTTPS://XLIBRIS.COM/BOOKSTORE
(2) On left hand of screen, click on SEARCH
(3) Type in LOS INOCENTES/ HUCKABY
A summary and excerpt follows. If you desire to obtain a copy, just use the cart.
"The Sower and The Seeds," a sequel to "Los Inocentes," is in the process of publication.
Have fun.

Apologies to one and all for the O/T post.

TH
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:11:08 AM by Tom Huckaby »

A.G._Crockett

Re:O/T -shameless plug - My Dad's book is finally available
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 01:03:27 PM »
Tom,
Speaking for teachers everywhere (now in my 32nd year!) congratulations to you father for chasing a dream.

You should go rent and watch "Mr. Holland's Opus".  You'll cry your eyes out, but it'll be spot on.

Best,
A.G.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
Tom,
Speaking for teachers everywhere (now in my 32nd year!) congratulations to you father for chasing a dream.

You should go rent and watch "Mr. Holland's Opus".  You'll cry your eyes out, but it'll be spot on.

Best,
A.G.

AGC:

Many thanks.  And thanks also to the many others who have IM'd me about this.  Yeah, my Dad sure does deserve a little fame and glory.  It's all been infamy and inglory dealing with his middle son.   ;)

And re Mr. Holland's Opus, oh yes, I have watched it many times.  I think I'm FINALLY at the stage where I don't start bawling at the end.

;)

TH

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 01:12:22 PM »
I'll look that up Huck.

I am just now on my daily walks listening to the unabridged author's reading of his own book, "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt.  I'm a big fan of his, and love to listen to his brogue as he reads it rather than read the words myself.  McCourt's dogged pursuit of his dream to write but not having time within the context of his 30 years of actually teaching, and then to break through with "Angela's Ashes" at the age of 66, is a similar example to your Dad's story, it seems.  

Oh but that he could have the same success... ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 01:13:43 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 01:18:17 PM »
I'll look that up Huck.

I am just now on my daily walks listening to the unabridged author's reading of his own book, "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt.  I'm a big fan of his, and love to listen to his brogue as he reads it rather than read the words myself.  McCourt's dogged pursuit of his dream to write but not having time within the context of his 30 years of actually teaching, and then to break through with "Angela's Ashes" at the age of 66, is a similar example to your Dad's story, it seems.  

Oh but that he could have the same success... ;D

Oh yes, I believe the whole family would be very happy with a fraction of Mr. McCourt's success.   ;D

Dare to dream.  But methinks that's a far cry from how this is gonna go for my Dad.  As you'll see, his book is being done more through a self-publishing arm of Random House - that is, books are printed as they are ordered - you won't be finding these at your local Borders, for example.

Not yet anyway.

;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:25:58 PM »
Middle son, huh?

That explains a lot, Huck.  ;)

Welcome to the club!  I knew we were simpatico in more ways than is obvious.

Mucho congrats to your dad on his book and I'll be sure to pick it up.  As someone who someday wants to write the great American novel (although mine might be forced to come in a brown paper bag given changing Federal jurisprudence), I have a good sense for what it means to him and I'm sure he's thrilled and relieved.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 01:28:11 PM »
Middle sons of the world unite!

;D

Muchas gracias, Mike.  

TH

ps - your comment re your novel elicited most definite audible yuks.   ;D

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 01:39:15 PM »
your dad must be quite a guy Huck:  survived raising you  ;)and then writes a book!

seriously, pls pass along my congrats...I would like to write a book someday too, God willing
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 01:39:59 PM »
your dad must be quite a guy Huck:  survived raising you  ;)and then writes a book!

seriously, pls pass along my congrats...I would like to write a book someday too, God willing

I will MOST DEFINITELY pass that on - he'll love it!

Thanks, Paul.

;D

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 06:37:53 PM »

Where do you think he got the material?  ;)

Congrats to the senior Huck; Anna and I will look for it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »
Brian - thanks!

And hell yes, what he COULD have done is mind-boggling if he would have focused on the proper son.  It's a constant battle between me and him... I told him he blew all TV/movie possibilities as Brad Pitt was waiting to star as the Tom character.

;D ;D ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 09:55:04 PM »
Tom,
  Congrats to your Dad. This is one O/T thread I am very happy to see. When is the book signing party?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back